Beef on a Budget. VR6/Wagon springs

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Has anyone expierenced a buzzing/metal on metal noise coming from the right strut after installing these springs. I installed new bushings, strut bearings and the VR6 springs on my Koni reds and get a buzzing noise only when I first let the clutch out in first and second gear and accelerate moderatley, this noise changes frequency then dissapates after 2 -5 seconds. If I let the clutch out and barely giveit any throttle the noise is not there. I hand tightened the bushing down originally then went back and zapped it with an impact. Only the right side makes this noise. I removed and inspected the set up again and can find nothing wrong with it. If you grasp both spings while in the car you can feel a slight twisting motion that would indicate that the strut bearing is working.

Problem solved, my upper transmission mount was the culprit. Amazing how noise can travel!

Last edited:

TDI_YWG

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI, '03 Golf GL TDI, '01 T4 California Exclusive, '00 T4 Multivan "Atlantis"
FSD, Moog springs, 1.5" lift - rear noise

I installed the above items and have been experiencing a very loud clunk (more of a bang, really) from the rear end when going over railroad tracks, speedbumps or any other uneven surface at more than about 15 km/h (10mph).
Everything seems tight when I check the car when it is up on a hoist.
Anyone else experience this? Any rememdies?
Thanks!
Scott

TDI_YWG

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI, '03 Golf GL TDI, '01 T4 California Exclusive, '00 T4 Multivan "Atlantis"
Thanks. I read that post yesterday but didn't think that could be my situation. I checked my install out and my springs are definitely in need of a spin. Will try that out to see if things get quieter.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Is there any place to order rear towing springs besides the Stealership and ID Parts? The price seems quite steep. I've got a wagon so picking up wagon springs won't help.

Last edited:

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Yeah, I was gonna suggest spinning your spring, too. Mine made that THUNK a couple times when I first did the install before it somehow settled into place and hasn't done it since.

Ok, I might have hit my first actual hiccup with this kit, or it might be a common problem....not sure yet.

The car now has 155k on it, so I have put something like 30k on the blausport shocks/struts and MOOG springs, so I feel that's enough distance to give somewhat of a fair opinion about them. Overall, I still love the ride and feel of them, and the overall ride hasn't changed much at all since I installed them. However, after a very long roadtrip, I recently had noticed a chattering in the passenger side rear shock which sounded like it was coming from the shock mount. I did some research on this site and vortex and found out that shock mounts working themselves loose seems to be a side effect of installing heavier shocks and springs for some people. At least I am pretty sure it was a loose shock mount.

I did what some guys on this site suggested and made a kind of rubber shim of sorts out of an old rubber glove to stop the rattling.

I torqued them back down to spec (44 ft./lbs) I believe, and the annoying rattling sound has now gone away.....at least temporarily. If it comes back, it may be time for a new shock mount. We will see.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
When I installed the reat Koni reds the first time I had a clunk develop after a few days. It turned out to be the shock nut would not stay tight to the shock mount, so I used a star washer between the nut and mount and it has stayed gundentite ever since.

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I've got a 2003 jetta wagon I want to fix up nicely. I think I want stiffer springs - either these or the VR6 and towing springs in the back.

The objective is to end up with a mostly-daily-driver that can change lanes sharply, tow a trailer well, and go around the unexpected corner. Reasonable ride quality is more important than the 98'th percent of performance.

I plan on at least an inch of ride height increase from bigger tires. Additional height increases should be no more than an inch, and none to half an inch would be fine.

I want to cut body roll way down. Toward that end I'm thinking about a rear sway bar (suggestions?). Definitely urethane bushings all around.

So my question.... Will the koni FSD's dampen the heavier springs well enough? Or other koni's? I'd like to avoid the harsh ride of the Bilstein HD's that seem to be a common comment.

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
I highly recommend the Rear sway bar. my first lane change was Night and Day difference, it cut hard and comfortably. idk if i can go rear sway bar less ever again. but i have read others saying they dont like how stiff it makes it. i really like the rear stiffer. now im able to kick it out in gravel with a snap of the wheel. which is what i was looking for.

now to stiffen the front setup...

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the IDparts rear sway bar and air bags in the rear springs (for towing) and I love the way my Golf handles. The rear air bags also add some roll control if I keep more than 10lbs psi in them. I usually leave 5lbs for everyday driving. When I tow they keep the rear end level. You will notice the ride quality with the RSB is a little firmer but not overly harsh. I also am running Koni Reds with Moog VR6 springs and GTI rear springs which levels the Golf, I really like this setup, compliant but firm.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I placed my order for the Bluaparts shock kit and it has been pushed back 3 times already from it original ship date. I am kind of wishing I had just gone with the Koni's when they were on sale. A bit more money, but I would have them on my car already.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Thanks for the pics. That helps.

With my current set up I am 28" front, 29.5" in back. I am going to order springs for the front only and disconnect the front swaybar.
....and should be here tomorrow. Installed? Hopefully soon.

curiosity has me asking, why remove the sway bar?
more suspension articulation? hope i dont eat my foot guessing
[/IMG]

No feet for you :D. Where I live, you can get nowhere awfully fast. And that means having a vehicle that can do most of the skills required.

So, to make sure these are on the ground....

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

when these may not be...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

...disconnecting (not removing) one of the front swaybar links is a must for articulation and traction. All it takes is a 16mm ratchet and socket.

Can't wait to get the springs in. I'll snap some before and after pics.

Next on the project list is a Wavetrac LSD. I think my wife will like it. It's her car :D.

Saving pennies....

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Oh yeah.

[/IMG]

Of course I made it. Not a scrape. My Golf has made a lot of people stop and stare....at some of the terrain it navigates and comes back from. They have their limitations, but as long as you are aware of them, 99% of the time you are good.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Springs are in my garage. Wife says to me....did you notice the trans shifts funny....door is open. Can you day wavetrac?

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Well, the rattle came back pretty quick after I installed that rubber shim. Turns out, it was a busted shock mount. The rubber inside was cracked all the way around and was allowing metal to chatter around. I ordered two new "Boge" shock mounts on amazon.com (I had a gift card) for $16 each and was surprised to see the OEM Sachs shock mounts arrive in the mail. Bonus? I dunno...

Anyways, installed them both in about an hour and the back end is finally silent again. The rubber on the shock mount on the driver's side was about to crack all the way through, too. I don't know if they broke because of my driving habits, or if the mounts included in the blausport kit are just sub-par.

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
I'm wondering, after you reassembled the rear shock, whether there's any space in between the shock mount and shock.

The correct order is like this:

After tightening the nut onto the shock shaft, I can feel the mount moves in between the nut and shock. Is this normal? Or I should tighten the nut even more to push the mount down to the shock?

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
Well, another convert here, though it feels...strange.

With all the sports cars i have, actually raising a car just feels wrong. But, went with the Moog springs, and the Blauparts VR6 shock package. someone stated that for the price they give you cheap Chinese parts in the package, but that is just not true. It was all Meyle or name brand parts. I just don't know where the shocks are made. Can't confirm they are KYb. Best part is that they had a sale on this so I got them even cheaper than the cheap list.

Last edited:

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
upgrade for a 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon

This thread has been a HUGE help. My Wagon just passed the quarter-million mile mark, still on the original springs / shocks / struts. I want to accomplish three things: refresh the suspension; ability to carry a heavy load (camping gear and canoes); and gain a little height for driving on dirt roads / two-tracks / snow here in Michigan.

I am convinced that the MOOG VR6 springs for the front are the way to go. But for the rears, since I am dealing with a Wagon instead of a Sedan, I really wanted to go with the 1J0511115AN (coil spring for models with heavy duty suspension / 5 green dot). But ECS tuning is out of stock until January, and idParts wants $329 for a pair!!!

I did some searching on line, and found a chart of equivalent springs that listed Monroe SP2070 as an equivalent for the 1J0511115AN. Rock Auto describes them as "Heavy Duty" for the Jetta Estate (wagon).

Has anyone used these springs?

Anyone know of someplace that I can find the dimensions and weight rating for them, before I order? At $86 / each, they're more than the MOOG rear springs that have been discussed here, but I really want a 5-green-dot equivalent.

For what it's worth, I also plan to go with the BlauParts VR6 strut/shock kit.

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Buttonfly, does your car have a skid plate?

When I did the MOOG VR6 fronts and blausports, I didn't gain much height in the front. Maybe 1/2 inch over stock height after everything settled in, and that was WITH a 10mm spacer set. Granted, I do have a heavy, steel skid plate, but I would like another 1/2 inch of lift in the front before I'm happy. I have never scraped it up front, but I still want more, haha. You may consider getting 2 sets of the 10mm spacers? Just a thought..

However, with the MOOG rears and the blausports, the back of the car came up to exactly where I wanted it.

Just a note to anyone doing this, you may want to take mech644's advice from early on in this thread and loosen the rear axle bolts after you have put on the new suspension bits. Bounce the car around, then tighten them back up. That should take any pre-load off of the axle beam bushings which was imparted because of the increase in ride height. For some reason, I never got around to doing that, even though I knew I should.... so, probably because of that, the fact that my car has 165k, and the fact that I use my car like a truck (always towing small trailers), my axle beam bushings are worn out now. Not looking forward to installing the new ones.....not at all.

Last edited:

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Mike,

Yes, the very first mod I put on the Wagon when I bought it in '06 was a Panzer Plate. It paid for itself in the first week when I ran over some debris on the freeway, in traffic, at 70MPH. WHAM! That would've torn the oil pan clean off, but the Plate was only scratched. The Panzer Plate is aluminum, so it probably weighs less than a steel plate, but still...

I also run tires one size taller than stock: 205/65R15, on the stock alloy wheels. After the suspension refresh, my next step is to get a set of 16" steel wheels and find some Mud & Snow tires for my off-pavement adventures.

You've never scraped? That's what I am trying to achieve. I often carry a canoe on the roof and a week's worth of camping gear in back. Last summer I ended up on a 2-track in the woods and scraped the Plate for a quarter mile before the road leveled out.

Since I need to replace the springs, I wanted to get all my lift from the springs, not spacers or lift kits. Theoretically I get more suspension travel that way.

1/2" rise from the front MOOGs is minimal, but a firmer ride would be good and you can't beat the price! I wonder if there is a taller choice?

My concern with the rear MOOGs you installed is that you're in a Sedan and I'm in a Wagon. According to idParts and other sources, the 5 green dot springs are European market rear springs for the Jetta Wagon with the towing package, not the same springs as sold in the wagon in the US, and they'll cause the car to sit about 1" higher in the rear and are noticeably stiffer. So I'm looking for an equivalent for the 5-green-dot springs. As best I can tell, the Monroe SP2070s will do it, but I'm hoping someone here in the Forum can confirm.

Thanks for the reminder on the bushing bolts. I'm going to take a close look at the bushings when I have things disassembled, and might take the opportunity to replace/upgrade. You're right, it's no picnic but I've got experience with a NB and an Audi A4.

Narf:

I don't tow with the Wagon, but I do load it down. For example, the family is planning another Spring Break in Big Pine Key, Florida. That's over 1,500 mi (24 hours straight through) each way - and the Wagon will be loaded with 2 adults, 2 teenagers, a week's worth of gear, and kayaks on the roof.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
This thread has a wealth of good info.
I just pulled out a pair of rear springs from the wagon that have 4 green dots + 1 silver one.
Is there a chart that lists the spring code?

The springs I put in are Shine's that are 2 1/2" shorter uncompressed.
They ride OK but I lost 1 1/2" of ride height. :(
I'm now making a set of 1" spacers out of aluminum.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Flee, the info I have on your spring is:
1J0511115AF coil spring / 1 paint mark / 4 paint marks silver green / estate: PR-1JH
This is the "standard" rear wagon spring in the US market.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
I did some searching on line, and found a chart of equivalent springs that listed Monroe SP2070 as an equivalent for the 1J0511115AN. Rock Auto describes them as "Heavy Duty" for the Jetta Estate (wagon).

Has anyone used these springs?

Anyone know of someplace that I can find the dimensions and weight rating for them, before I order? At $86 / each, they're more than the MOOG rear springs that have been discussed here, but I really want a 5-green-dot equivalent.
Well that plan fell on its face. Rock Auto wants $139 shipping for the Monroe SP2070 springs!!! I might as well get the VW 5-green springs thru idParts.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
I'm asking in a curious, interested manner here. Why put in springs that drop the car 2.5 inches and then put in spacers that raise it back up and inch?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the drop and what happens to handling with the drop and then the spacers? I guess its the geometry of the drop that is confusing me.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
This thread has a wealth of good info.
I just pulled out a pair of rear springs from the wagon that have 4 green dots + 1 silver one.
Is there a chart that lists the spring code?

The springs I put in are Shine's that are 2 1/2" shorter uncompressed.
They ride OK but I lost 1 1/2" of ride height. :(
I'm now making a set of 1" spacers out of aluminum.
who said they were trying to do that?
Flee did.