Bearings times 3

**DONOTDELETE**

2000 Jetta TDI and I'm heading for my 3rd bearing replacement at 102K. What the frig is happenin' here?? Any suggestions. Never had an alignment done. 1st set at 42K (left front). 96K (left front) and now 102K (will find out Saturday)

cage

Top Post Dawg
I bet they aren't replacing them correctly. My father had a Dodge with the same problem. He was told by a garage that the replacement bearing wasn't pressed in properly.

Skidrowe

TDI
01 golf, 12 jetta
Just had the drivers side done at 45,000km. Asked the service manager if he could help by passing it on warranty, his response "No...and tell your wife not to hit so many potholes."

Skid

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Another possibility is that the bearing housing and/or hub are either out-of-round or the diameters are not in-spec, therefore the bearing pre-load is not right causing premature wear. There's no way to mic it accurately. Since it appears the left front is giving problems it could save you future trouble by finding another housing and hub from a salvage yard and replace it with the bearings.

Also make sure your car's front end alignment is OK!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Well, If you want to try a different set of oem bearing housings/hubs, you can HAVE the ones that came off my car. They would still need new bearings, but at least you'd know they had less miles than whats on your car. Removed at approx 50k. Perhaps taking your car to a different place to have the repair done would be a good idea too....