BD storage

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I ask this here because it seems this forum is more likely to have guys keeping smaller amounts of B100 sitting around for addition to D2 to get a b1-2 blend..

Is storing B100 in a metal gas can a bad idea? Even a high-quality one that I'd assume is galvanized and has better seals?

I want to get a 5-gal container to store B100 in to top off a quart bottle I'll keep in the vehicle for fillups. That 5-gallon container may sit for quite a while between getting topped off.. will rust end up being a problem?

Thanks

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
What's wrong with plastic it can't rust. I keep mine in 5 gallon buckets with a tight lid and a pour spout. With the Passat I blend one gallon per tank (the tank holds 18.5 gallons) and when I reach the half tank mark I just refuel D2 neat, then on the next tank I add another gallon. This stuff ain't additive it's good clean fuel . Why be so stingy and only add a quart? Around here B100 is cheaper per gallon than D2.

Edit: From reading your sig you could probably run straight b100 as you have removed all the dpf and affiliated emission controls that would create a oil dilution issue from bio.

Last edited:

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I don't trust B100 and the associated water in my pump. I would prefer to mix a quart or less per tank to make storage in the trunk easier. One quart provides most of the lubricity benefit while being much more convenient and dramatically cutting down on how often I need to go to the single B100 source in my city.

Either way.. A nice metal fill can just seems much higher quality and cleaner over all. We use these at work and they are pretty impressive, especially given how tough of a life they have being bounced around in the back of a fire engine:

Do your bucket lids have special gaskets? B100 seems to attack everything short of Viton..

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
OK store it in a metal can and treat it like a magic potion it's just fuel my good man. Don't worry about it spoiling there are far greater things to fret about. What is with you guys? Viton on a plastic bucket?..........give me a break! For a guy that stripped his exhaust and added a tune this is just nutz

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Good bio should have no water and no methanol left in it. I have always used plastic to hold mine. High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). Something in a dark color to stop light from reaching it and store in a room temperature location to avoid extremes of hot and cold. Should last 6 months to a year if airtight. When I was making/using mine I had 15 gallon containers from a car wash that worked well for this. Rollers on the bottom and a hand pump on the top. Find a 5 gallon HDPE can and go with it and put the metal issue out of your mind.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=75175&gclid=CPX6_ebZ0L0CFc1j7Aod7XgAIw

Mako

Veteran Member
TDI
AMFPolo 1.4 TDI 100%Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI 100% Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI Wagon 100% Biodiesel, VW Syncro 3CT Kombi 100% Biodiesel, Corsa 1.7D 100% Biodiesel
Weeks don't matter, multiple months.........maybe, if you're worried fill to top to exclude oxygen (almost to the top).
I've had test samples in open containers in the sun (in a hothouse) and haven't seen any problems other than the fuel bleaching? to a very pale colour.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Good bio should have no water and no methanol left in it. I have always used plastic to hold mine. High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). Something in a dark color to stop light from reaching it and store in a room temperature location to avoid extremes of hot and cold. Should last 6 months to a year if airtight. When I was making/using mine I had 15 gallon containers from a car wash that worked well for this. Rollers on the bottom and a hand pump on the top. Find a 5 gallon HDPE can and go with it and put the metal issue out of your mind.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=75175&gclid=CPX6_ebZ0L0CFc1j7Aod7XgAIw
I was visualizing regular buckets but that seems a lot better, thanks.

The current 5-gal jug of B100 I have has been half-full for about a year. I only threw the stuff into my old MK4 when the fuel station was questionable (not often) so I'd have fuel sitting for months. I'm not as worried about water that would come with fresh bio, but since it is hygroscopic and (in the past) I've had the stuff sitting around for months.. I don't think that is as likely to happen now with me planning on being more consistent with adding it to tanks, but who knows? Also, that was one of those piece of crap no-spill plastic cans that had to have the fill-port gutted in the past to actually flow any fuel out of it.. which is my main motivation in finding a high-quality fuel can.

Yes, viton. Biodiesel expands and destroys many common types of rubber, as you probably know. I've had to put pump seals into a friend's Mk4 every 2 years for the last 6 because he runs B100 exclusively. The only one that hasn't kept going bad was the pump-head oring from dieselgeek which is... viton. I've had to put a viton o-ring on the lid of the camping stove fuel bottle I keep in my trunk for biodiesel.. it expanded and attacked that material too.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
HDPE is not affected by bio. Kept in a tightly closed container should avoid any moisture issues at least for as long as you would have it. You could always back fill it with dry nitrogen if it really worried you. There are some used bottles on CL for sale for relatively cheap.

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Think of biodiesel as Wesson oil. It's just as safe. ;)

Snipely

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Indigo
I use a round horizontal 60-gallon HDPE tank with a "leg" bottom. Fits in the back of the wagon just fine and it's small enough to wrestle out of there when full. Survived the polar vortex (-20 F) just fine, about half full. There are yellow HDPE containers with spouts that work well for reserves and easier transport, at Grainger or McMaster Carr.