BD & Diesel switches

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
HI! If I run out of BD and put a gallon of Diesel in the tank, then fill up on BD again; sometime later put another gallon of dinodiesel till the next BD fillup, is there any harm to seals, hoses, etc? (Central Bucks County does not sell BD, so I have to wait for our BD meeting.)
Thank you.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
I'm not sure. However, I have a buddy with a Jeep Liberty CRD, who alternates tanks between B20 and D2, for several years now just to prove the point. He's had no problems. On the other hand, he says I'm living on the edge running B100 in my PD during the summer. Lesson: use your best judgement.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would have to say I don't think so. Since Biodiesel is most often sold as a mixture of diesel and bio then most drivers are running both all the time.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
thanks

hi! - Thank you. My PD car runs on B100 until winter, logged almost 15,000miles on B100.
I read that Dinodiesel shrinks seals, Biodiesel expands them, therefore causing leaks.
Wondered whether anyone experienced that problem.
kristina

ForestHill

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI, sedan
From what lots of people have said here, so long as there's *some* BD in your tank, you probably have nothing at all to worry about.

Personally, I've done plenty of occasional tanks of D2 (I usually run B20) on road trips and the like and had no problems as a result.

Bill_Blazek

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5 spd, Navy Blue
whitetdi05 said:
I read that Dinodiesel shrinks seals, Biodiesel expands them, therefore causing leaks.
I thought it was the other way around:
BD shrinks the seals due to the lack of sulfur or other componds
that exist in Dinodiesel but not in BD.
But has this been definitively proven any where?

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Bill_Blazek said:
I thought it was the other way around:
BD shrinks the seals due to the lack of sulfur or other componds
that exist in Dinodiesel but not in BD.
But has this been definitively proven any where?
nope. drop some different forms of rubber in biodiesel and ULSD and see what happens... The seals on biodiesel containers I have have swelled quite a bit. We're talking about entirely different tolerances, of course, but the principle is the same.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
First question is what year is your car? Next question is how many miles has it been driven before running Bio?

I've done plenty of switching with no problems as of yet. A lot depends on the quality of the fuel you are using. I use one extremely reliable source for virgin oil based fuel that I feel extremely confident about. I use a back up source that generally sells a waste oil based product that I am also fairly confident is good quality. I generally purchase my D2 from one of three stations that I tend to return to when needed. I do my best to limit the number of stations I visit for so that I have a good idea who to talk to if any problems do crop up.