Battery upgrade DIY

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Hello people,

The battery in my wife's 2015 GSW S finally kicked the bucket, stamped date 12/15 which means this is the original battery fitted.

I've read this thread, but the part numbers seemed confusing: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...bigger-capacity-battery-to-a-mk7-golf.320084/

...and then it occurred to me to check the larger battery in my 2015 Passat SE for fitment...bingo!

If all you want to do is dump the silly 61Ah 5K0 915 105 E that came in your GSW for the larger one for which you move the bracket to the last hole, then go for 5K0 915 105 G, you'll jump to 72Ah.

You change from this puny battery (no handles):

To this biggish one:

...no, this one is still smaller than the 80Ah in my 2004 Jetta wagon GLS.

I don't feel like paying $50+ for a new larger fabric case, I think I'll just leave it like that, not sure what the function of that mat is anyway.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Of course 5 years out of a battery is,t too shabby. New Varta is 120. Thats less than 25/yr and Varta might last even longer. Battery jacket apparently must be a benefit otherwise it wouldn't be there, maybe it protects from heat.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree, 5 years is not bad at all.

Just got back from the dealer with the new battery, new part number is 000 915 105 DG, not Varta, not Enertec (that I can see), it does say Made in Mexico, so it is probably the same manufacturing as before. Cost $154 +tax when you return another one.

The guy at the parts department recommended not to use the battery jacket, since it tends to hold moisture and that will be bad.

Last edited:

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
My GSW is still running the 61Ah battery from the factory, but it has a 2015 date code and ready for replacement. All the local dealers will install the larger 72Ah battery by default, at a cost of around $250 installed.

When shopping around, I did have a interesting experience at Costco. They do sell H6 batteries in either AGM ($160ish) or Flooded ($120) varieties, but because the GSW TDI does not have a compatible battery in their Interstate books, I was told they cant honor any warranty claims. But if you look at the OEM Interstate battery finder, the GSW TDI is compatible with an H6 AGM.

I'm not sure how much of that is true. I'd love to get that Costco warranty.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Does the GSW have a charging strategy for AGM? (The statement below is from the Battery University)

As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages). Automotive charging systems for flooded lead acid often have a fixed float voltage setting of 14.40V (2.40V/cell); a direct replacement with a sealed unit could overcharge the battery on a long drive

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Yes, VCDS Address 61.

Does the GSW have a charging strategy for AGM? (The statement below is from the Battery University)

As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages). Automotive charging systems for flooded lead acid often have a fixed float voltage setting of 14.40V (2.40V/cell); a direct replacement with a sealed unit could overcharge the battery on a long drive

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
at a cost of around $250 installed.
Install yourself and save big then.

In my GSW taking the battery out is the easiest of all, just undo the hold-down 13mm bolt, slide the battery towards the front of the car (there are channels on the bottom of the battery tray), then lift straight up.

In my 2004 jetta, there's a cover with a couple of small screws that needs to get out. In my 2015 Passat, the airbox is in the way...the 2015 GSW is the easiest by far, 5min job.

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Install yourself and save big then.
I'm with you there. I already have VCDS to code the battery and change to AGM if needed. I just need to get a longer extension so I can reach down to the 13mm bolt. All I need to do is figure out which battery to get:
  • VW 72Ah flooded battery is about $150 and comes with a 3-year parts warranty
  • Costco H6 flooded battery is about $120, but got some confusing info about the warranty (see my last post)
  • Costco H6 AGM battery is about $120, but got some confusing info about the warranty (see my last post)
  • Other?

TDI
2015 Golf SW TDI SE
I don’t know if this helps, but when I picked up my battery from Costco, I asked for a 2015 GTI battery. They didn’t save a VIN or ask to see the car, especially since I was installing it myself. Ended up exchanging it under warranty because of low CCA a couple of weeks ago without issue.

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
They didn’t save a VIN or ask to see the car, especially since I was installing it myself.
I ended up getting a H6 AGM battery from Costco for $188 out the door ($15 core charge included). Same situation as you, just bought the battery and out the door. I will need to code the car for AGM charging, but looks like its done in the same VCDS menu as registering the new battery. Whole install including coding took me about 20 mins.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Just went to the dealer for another same battery, but this time they did give me a Varta, made in Germany.
I guess there will be Vartas from now on, as this one has an October sticker (the new way to know DOM).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Are people finding that the "good battery / bad battery" window indicator is accurate? I keep looking at mine and can't really tell if it's still black - just like the one picture above, the way light hits the little window, it looks like it might kinda/sorta be not black. Seeing what that brand new one looks like, though, mine looks like that, so I assume it's still ✅.

Is it really obvious when the window goes to ❌ or whatever?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Are people finding that the "good battery / bad battery" window indicator is accurate? I keep looking at mine and can't really tell if it's still black - just like the one picture above, the way light hits the little window, it looks like it might kinda/sorta be not black. Seeing what that brand new one looks like, though, mine looks like that, so I assume it's still ✅.

Is it really obvious when the window goes to ❌ or whatever?
The window on a battery that glows green ONLY tells you if the battery is charged enough to test... honestly it pretty useless.
It can be a bad battery with a bad cell, and still glow.
It only tells you the state of charge based on the acid, not what the battery is capable of based on the physical state of the plates if I understand the way it was explained to me years ago.....
And is it obvious? No...it a dull green glow as opposed to bright green unless the battery is dead...
So it more if a judgement call if it glowing bright enough to be "good".
So if two batteries are sitting on a shelf, new, one glued bright, one is dim...the bright one will likely start you car, the dim one has self discharged from sitting. That's about all it tells you.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I too think that indicator is pretty useless. I've had batteries die and the indicator still be perfectly okay (solid black).

I think that indicator is just measuring the acid level inside, like the graphics on the label show. Hence, a battery may have a couple of dead cells and still that indicator show a-okay.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I too think that indicator is pretty useless. I've had batteries die and the indicator still be perfectly okay (solid black).

I think that indicator is just measuring the acid level inside, like the graphics on the label show. Hence, a battery may have a couple of dead cells and still that indicator show a-okay.
This.jpg

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hmmm, I wonder if I should just replace it at my 60k service(in another 2500 miles)- hate to just have it go dead, as it is the factory battery(or at least it has the 2015 date code)....how much was the Varta battery installed?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Still got the original late 2014 battery in mine, obviously overdue for replacement. The Interstate from Costco sounds tempting, if I go with a AGM do I need to get a VAGCOM cable and reset the charging parameters?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, AGM needs VCDS coding, other threads explain that. For me the, flooded batt from the dealer is good enough

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Just went to the dealer for another same battery, but this time they did give me a Varta, made in Germany.
I guess there will be Vartas from now on, as this one has an October sticker (the new way to know DOM).

It might have an "October sticker", but the manufacture date is the 49th week of 2019. Stamped on the negative battery post...

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
you're absolutely right, the first one I got has a week 46, 2019 stamp. These dealers and their tricky ways...in any case, I am convinced they're good batteries, specially the Varta ones.

The original battery in my 2004, a Varta, died after 8+ years during a winter I parked my car outside for 2 weeks during on vacations. Battery was very weak when I got back and I decided to change it, maybe it could have lasted a little longer, who knows.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I've had good luck with Vartas from VW, 17 year old one that came in my 2003 Golf TDI still holds a charge and the Varta I replaced it with in 2008 is still on the job mounted in the sidecar of my 1982 BMW R80ST. The Varta that replaced that in 2013 is still starting the car, but not with a lot of enthusiasm when it's below freezing. That said, last I heard the Varta name had been sold to East Penn IIRC so surprised to see a German made Varta. Couple other factors play in to the choice- I really should get a new VAGCOM cable anyway as the one for my 2003 won't work on it, and the nearest VW dealer and Costco are right next to each other 70 miles away, but Costco requires masks and VW doesn't.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I would think the date sticker is probably put on by interstate who delivers vartas to the vw dealers or by the dealer showing when they sold it rather than when when it was built.

garthpro

TDI
2015 gsw tdi (2011 tdi jetta wagen prior)
has anyone on here had any updates on the best replacement? My OEM enertec 61ah finally kicked in my 2015gsw. Stamped 03/15. I am thinking stay with what works. 8 years is solid.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
has anyone on here had any updates on the best replacement? My OEM enertec 61ah finally kicked in my 2015gsw. Stamped 03/15. I am thinking stay with what works. 8 years is solid.
Consider the 72ah battery from a VW dealer that has an online coupon. I used coupons for both the OE batteries in our Mk7's, one was Varta, made in Germany, the other was Enertec, made in MX. Price with discount was cheaper than everything except Walmart. The coupons are searchable online by dealer under specials or parts specials. The 61ah battery was probably only correct for the Mk7 gas engine. You have probably already seen these:

garthpro

TDI
Consider the 72ah battery from a VW dealer that has an online coupon. I used coupons for both the OE batteries in our Mk7's, one was Varta, made in Germany, the other was Enertec, made in MX. Price with discount was cheaper than everything except Walmart. The coupons are searchable online by dealer under specials or parts specials. The 61ah batte

Thanks! I am just trying to figure out the most efficient swap for the $. Like I said the 61ah enertec lasted until this week and it is stamped 3/15. that seems like a really solid life. Off to search for that coupon I guess. Batteries plus quoted me 220 or something for a lead acid and 250+ for AGM. Plus they said I'd need the coding for another 60. That's before my discount tho.
I'll update my findings later.

garthpro

TDI
Consider the 72ah battery from a VW dealer that has an online coupon. I used coupons for both the OE batteries in our Mk7's, one was Varta, made in Germany, the other was Enertec, made in MX. Price with discount was cheaper than everything except Walmart. The coupons are searchable online by dealer under specials or parts specials. The 61ah battery was probably only correct for the Mk7 gas engine. You have probably already seen these:

are you talking about a $20 off coupon?

garthpro

TDI
For the Mk7 and MkIVs, over the last few years, I have used $20 off, $25 off, $30 off, and a 20% off any parts purchase over $99.
thanks. I am looking for anything around central ohio but wasn't sure if VofA had something I was missing