Battery replacement

MO Treg

TDI
2014 Touareg
The local auto shop says they need a special air bag lock out tool to change the battery in a 14 Touareg. I cant find anything on line to confirm that, and the part from snapon is for older models.

so do they need a lock out, or can they move the seat and change the battery?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
OMFG....
You need to know where to find the battery (under the drive's seat), and you need VCDS to code the BEM.
The seat doesn't "move" out of the way... it needs to be unbolted.
Run away from those butchers!

koolhandtdi

What happens if you don’t immediately recode the battery install? Can you drop battery in and recode later?? No VCDS on hand & Local stealership charges $125 to do so...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It just won't charge\maintain it optimally as the BEM won't know it's a different battery and it will keep the learned\typical approaches from the old.
Not the end of the world, but you want to address it sooner than later. Without VCDS, you may want to have a charger on the posts as the eggs like to go crazy when voltage drops, so you may have all sorts of errors if you swap batteries without being able to reset them, etc.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Hummm
According to @oilhammer your dealership should take good care of you and your battery.
I wonder why you say stealership? Oh right! You like your money to say with you!

Go on ebay. Rent the vcds tool for like $40 bucks. Do thos jon yourself and go to an auto store and shop around for at least 25% off your battery purchase.
There really is no difference other than a lottery on the battery you buy here vs there. It's a QC thing between 3 manufacturers that divvy they to various brands.
Imo costco for service at full price or advanced auto for price. Maybe even tractor supply if you have a card with them.
5% on a CC. 10% if military. 20% for shopping around with deal codes. 10% for comparing against stores. 8% off with a click though site like ebates.
All in all you could get this down to $130 with the battery and rental vcds cable if you diy this.
Or just pay the stealership the nearly 300 bucks.

koolhandtdi

Hummm
According to @oilhammer your dealership should take good care of you and your battery.
I wonder why you say stealership? Oh right! You like your money to say with you!

Go on ebay. Rent the vcds tool for like $40 bucks. Do thos jon yourself and go to an auto store and shop around for at least 25% off your battery purchase.
There really is no difference other than a lottery on the battery you buy here vs there. It's a QC thing between 3 manufacturers that divvy they to various brands.
Imo costco for service at full price or advanced auto for price. Maybe even tractor supply if you have a card with them.
5% on a CC. 10% if military. 20% for shopping around with deal codes. 10% for comparing against stores. 8% off with a click though site like ebates.
All in all you could get this down to $130 with the battery and rental vcds cable if you diy this.
Or just pay the stealership the nearly 300 bucks.
Old habits die hard...truly depends on the dealership in question. I’ve had good and bad experiences so I call it like I see it.
It was -12 windchill this morning, my garage isn’t heated so I’m currently sitting waiting for install at a local shop.

Thanks for the info...didn’t mean to hijack this thread.

...but since I’m here, quick questions;
SLA OR AGM?
Do I need to ask him to put charger on posts during removal or prior to initial startup to fool the computer (eggs)? I’m not sure I got that straight.
and tech here says he’s gear car could go into limp mode or not start. He’s not personally seen it on VW but had an Audi do it.
this is why the dealerships earn their money, I know.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
egg = Slang for TouarEG
What are you and or the tech asking about "gear car"?
Also, if he doesn't know when to put the charger on, don't let him touch your vehicle!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
It was -12 windchill this morning, my garage isn’t heated

...but since I’m here, quick questions;
SLA OR AGM?
To your first point windchill doesn't affect inanimate objects, it's just a calculation based on windspeed that varies by source.

And AGM is the way to go, get the highest CCA rating you can.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
To your first point windchill doesn't affect inanimate objects, it's just a calculation based on windspeed that varies by source.

And AGM is the way to go, get the highest CCA rating you can.
A new AGM battery somehow fixed my constant Bluetooth reconnecting.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Your BEM was probably limiting the function of non-essential power consumers as your older battery faded. Doubt the battery being AGM had anything to do with it other than being a new battery.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Your BEM was probably limiting the function of non-essential power consumers as your older battery faded. Doubt the battery being AGM had anything to do with it other than being a new battery.
It kept disconnecting and reconnecting. Idk. Strange coincidence

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I'm getting to the age of battery where it needs to be changed out, anyone have experience for longevity of the AGM vs the flooded cell batteries? I have gotten 6yrs with the OEM flooded battery. BTW it's still going but I don't trust it . I had one just up and died over night after using the car the previous day.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't replaced mine yet, but I will be this spring with an OEM unit as it has served me well.

Bluelight

TDI
2014 Touareg tdi
New to forum so bear with me. Looking for discussion on whether/if a battery replacement could cause the engine light (MIL) to come on?

tnx

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
New to forum so bear with me. Looking for discussion on whether/if a battery replacement could cause the engine light (MIL) to come on?

tnx
What's the code? Whatever code that may have popped up, with a restart it should go off if it actually has to do with battery replacement.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you don't have VCDS or a generic code reader to actually see what the code is?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
If you don't have a code reader there are a few options, one or the other may better suit your situation.

• Find a forum member who has a VCDS/obdeleven that can meet up with you to help. There are sticky threads on every VAG forum that can facilitate this. Try the big ones first, and work out from there. IE, TDIclub, ClubTouareg, Audizine, vwvortex, quattroworld, a forum based locally to you, etc.
  • Order an obd2 reader, either something from Amazon, an obdeleven, or VCDS from one of said forums or even new from Ross Tech. Be aware that there is a vast difference in capability and reliability of the various tools available. Obdeleven and VCDS are the best, and they both vary wildly in capability and ease of use.
  • Go to your FLAPS and rent a scan tool. Be aware a lot of non VAG specific scan tools may not have full compatibility for in depth diagnostics, though most should be sufficient to read basic codes.
  • Talk to your local indy shops. Some may be willing to diagnose for free to get your business. If they do, they're usually worth trying out, as their profit motive is usually based on incentivizing repeat business by helping customers solve problems rather than selling parts and services. You may or may not get along with them along the process.