Battery Replacement

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I went to get my battery replaced this morning and we couldn't get the old one out. We got the bracket off that holds the battery down but we could not lift and tip the battery enough to get it out of where the tray is.

Is there a "trick" we were missing? The battery seems to get hung on a curved piece of plastic on the below the cowl/window. And there doesn't seem to be enough room to slide the battery forward to get more clearance. We saw a brace that ran all the way across the front of where the battery was (below the brake cylinder) that we thought if it could be removed would give us some more room but couldn't see how to get it out.

Fortunately the battery isn't shot but last winter if I left anything plugged in overnight it would sometimes crank very slow the next morning.

WYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI wagon
I just replaced my battery and had to remove the plastic cowl you mention. Both wiper arms need to be removed and the plastic can then be pulled up out of the groove that holds it in place. Start pulling the plastic from one side. This makes it pretty easy to lift the battery out. Also, be careful not to lose the rubber washers at the base of each wiper spindle.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
the cowl that has to be removed is held on by clips, if you start pulling, it will split, look underneath

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Confused is right. We tried to slide the battery to the left and lift and it didn't seem to want to come out.

Thanks for all the replies we'll have another go later this week and see if we can't get it out.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I'd be interested in the results, I saw that thread & figured it was pretty easy......now it seems we have to remove another plastic piece?

05TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005,
How to make this battery fit?

Hello,

I noticed that the Interstate Battery MTP-91 appears as if it will not fit, as it is longer than the original battery. Does the clamp that holds the battery down move, so as to accomodate the larger battery?

I picked up the new battery and am waiting to install it.

Any advise?

Chris