Battery Replacement for 2015 - VCDS or NO?

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Hi,

Does anyone know definitively whether a US 2015 Passat TDI with the J623-CVCA engine has BEM system requiring me to update battery information in VCDS? There seems to be conflicting information and I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

I do NOT have a Start/Stop system and my battery is the Enertec 5K0915105G.

Now I haven't replaced the battery yet so the electric is a little wonky, but when I hooked up my VCDS and opened the "19 - CAN - Gateway", I noticed that there is NOT an "Adaptation - 10" listed under there and I can't seem to find anywhere where the battery information is stored.

Can anyone clarify this? Do I have to get an OE battery and is there anything I need to worry about with VCDS?

Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I just went to the dealer and had them install a new battery. Not really any more expensive than anywhere else and less hassle. If you are putting the same battery in I think you can just leave it alone. The majority of the conversations on this is if you were changing battery types, as they require different charging routines.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
I'd prefer not to have to tow my car to the dealer and/or wait days to get an appointment, if I can rule out having to code any of this (provided my car does not have that module anyway). It would be easiest for me to have someone pick the battery up for me and I can just install it at home.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I'd prefer not to have to tow my car to the dealer and/or wait days to get an appointment, if I can rule out having to code any of this (provided my car does not have that module anyway). It would be easiest for me to have someone pick the battery up for me and I can just install it at home.
Well you didn't say the car was not drivable.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Just in case anywhere else wonders about this...

- Original factory battery: Enertec 5k0915105G
- Replacement dealer battery: No brand and no 2d barcode listed 000915105DG

VCDS

Drivetrain tab / 61 - Battery Regul. / Long Adaptation 0A / Dropdown for Battery Replacement Channel 04

- Original factory coding: "068 000 0000000000"
- Since 068 wasn't even the correct rating for my original battery, it further shows that none of this is probably used in any way.

I entered "072 VAO 0H3C959181" as it's a 72Ah battery and I believe it to be VAO vendor, with a serial I created from a number stamped onto the plastic just so it has something different in there. I figured it wouldn't hurt to put this in for my own records anyway.

Another thing to note was that the new battery had a sticker where the 2d code should have been which said "See back of battery for 2d barcode" to which there were none to be found.

Thax

TDI
2015 passat tdi se and 05 jetta tdi
I just replaced the battery in my 2015 Passat SE TDI. It will start but it will not allow me to shift out of park nor turn the ignition completely off to take the key out. Any ideas of what's going on? Would this indicate I need to register the battery?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I just replaced the battery in my 2015 Passat SE TDI. It will start but it will not allow me to shift out of park nor turn the ignition completely off to take the key out. Any ideas of what's going on? Would this indicate I need to register the battery?
Look at my response literally directly above your Question.

Thax

TDI
Look at my response literally directly above your Question.
Thank you for your prompt reply! I saw that. I was just wondering since it was an aftermarket battery, (DieHard) and these two oddities occurred immediately following the battery replacement. I just wasn't sure if there was another step missing. One thing I failed to mention, there is a wrench flashing where the "P" indicator is. If I remove the neg. battery cable, The switch releases where I can turn the key and remove it. I still can't move the shifter out of park regardless. Everything was working great until I replaced the battery.

Thax

TDI
Thank you for your prompt reply! I saw that. I was just wondering since it was an aftermarket battery, (DieHard) and these two oddities occurred immediately following the battery replacement. I just wasn't sure if there was another step missing. One thing I failed to mention, there is a wrench flashing where the "P" indicator is. If I remove the neg. battery cable, The switch releases where I can turn the key and remove it. I still can't move the shifter out of park regardless. Everything was working great until I replaced the battery.
I found my problem! It was a blown fuse. Replaced it and everything is great again. Thank you for the help!!

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
When you DIY replace the battery you may get some weird lights on the dash like ABS traction or Tire Pressure but they go away. To get rig of the ABS traction light drive 10-15 mph for a block or two. Owners manual explains it.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
If you're just switching over to a flooded battery there should be no reason to make any changes. When I replaced my battery and added an AGM battery I had to set the charging for AGM using my VCDS. An AGM battery wants a slightly lower charge rate compared to a flooded battery.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Its been reported that dealers now supply Varta batteries. If you need a replacement before the cold weather I'd recommend you consider getting one as they have always been top quality.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The local dealer told me the varta batteries are being delivered by interstate, interesting.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
2013 SEL with 111,xxx miles. I live in the desert which is VERY hard on batteries -you are lucky to get 2 years on a fresh one. I am on my 4th replacement battery since I bought the car. I have always replaced them myself, never with a VCDS and usually in the parking lot of Autozone. No issues except some things take a few miles/starts to reset. Most noticeably the auto up/down with full switch application takes a few times to reset.