Battery replacement cost/options

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Took my JSW in last week for an oil change and again this week for a brake fluid flush. This time, the battery came back as weak during their testing, though last week it was fine. Assuming it does need to be replaced, their price was $199.99. That seemed really high to me for a battery replacement. This dealer is typically very good and super competitive on OEM pricing (DSG service is $285, I believe).

So is there a reason why I should spend that much on a battery? Is there something special about the OEM battery? Should I look elsewhere and, if so, what am I looking for? I’ve read a few others mention AGM batteries. Is this something I should be looking for as well?

Thanks!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Everything seems cheaper in the US but that seems about right for an AGM battery. Get the most cold cranking amps you can.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Price check the battery at local auto stores. Batteries are expensive. Personally, if you are mechanically inclined, i would buy the dealer battery and swap it myself. I found the dealer batteries to be very competitively priced and it was convenient for me to get a battery there. Also, remember many people don’t realize the negative cable is brown on a vw, leading to batteries being installed backwards and blowing a main fuse (last i heard the fuse was around $150).

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
When I was shopping for a new battery back in 2014 for my 2010 Jetta, the local VW dealer had, by far, the best deal at $136 including local sales tax. The next best price was Sears, but that was almost $170, and came with the same warranty as the OEM VW battery, so at that time, it was a no-brainer. I haven't bought a new battery since then, so I don't know how the prices evolved in those 5+ years, but I thought VW dealers continue to offer the best pricing. $200 for a new battery seems a bit steep, but I don't know if the battery they quoted is a regular flooded type (what my car came with), or one of those advanced glass mat (AGM) designs, which tend to be significantly more expensive. Personally, I don't think the AGM types are worth the extra expense in comparison with the flooded types. There are factors that limit the lifespan of your battery, most notably high ambient temperatures in your area, and I don't believe the AGMs will give you twice the service life for twice the cost of the flooded type. You will be better off with regular flooded type battery.

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Appreciate all of the responses. My guess is, inflation is at work and $199 probably isn’t far off no matter where I go. If it’s an AGM that’s being quoted, then that seems pretty much in-line. I’ll look into that, but appreciate your replies!

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I just checked the part number from the 2014 invoice, and it says 000915105DGDSP. I paid $126.00 for the battery plus $10.40 tax. That same battery today lists for $147 plus tax, so the prices haven't gone up that much. It was a 380A, 72Ah unit and gave me almost 5 years of service counting from the date when I bought the car. I see no reason why they should be asking $200 for a new one. Some dealers will even go below the $147 figure as I have noticed when I Googled that P.N.

JSH1

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
I bought a battery at Costco today.

Interstate H6(48) AGM for $159.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Took my JSW in last week for an oil change and again this week for a brake fluid flush. This time, the battery came back as weak during their testing, though last week it was fine. Assuming it does need to be replaced, their price was $199.99. That seemed really high to me for a battery replacement. This dealer is typically very good and super competitive on OEM pricing (DSG service is $285, I believe).
So is there a reason why I should spend that much on a battery? Is there something special about the OEM battery? Should I look elsewhere and, if so, what am I looking for? I’ve read a few others mention AGM batteries. Is this something I should be looking for as well?
Thanks!
I HATE the OEM battery. I use an Autozone Duralast (Platinum, I think). Check where the battery is made. My Autozone is made in Germany and works great. Ironically, the previous one was made here (according to the sticker) and it didn't last long, nor did its replacement (dead before I even left the store).

And yes, I know everyone's thoughts about Autozone. But with their AGM, you get a 3 year warranty (not prorated). Dealership gives you 12 months/12,000 miles. And stay away from Walmart Neverstart. They haggle over their warranty. Pulling teeth out of a live Great White shark would be easier than them...

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I got a SuperStart extreme at O'reilly's for $160 back in December. It's their higher end flooded battery with 730 CCA. I believe the OEM is 650 CCA. The dealer wanted $138 plus $20 labor to install it so I went with the higher CCA option and installed it myself in the O'reilly's parking lot. I've had no issues starting as low as -12F this winter (parked outside, no block heater), but TBD on reliability. They have a 3 year replacement warranty so I'm not too worried about it.

I agree with the others and felt that AGM is not worth the price for a potentially longer life.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Dealership warranty is 3 years free replacement / 2 years proration. I had an issue with my beetle’s battery at 2 years and it was replaced.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Appreciate all of the responses. My guess is, inflation is at work and $199 probably isn’t far off no matter where I go. If it’s an AGM that’s being quoted, then that seems pretty much in-line. I’ll look into that, but appreciate your replies!

So 130-140 for a battery then 60-70 for install doesn't sound bad. If you want to save that money get a 10mm spanner and a 13mm socket and some extensions and have at it yourself in their parking lot.

Seeing you paid them to do a brake flush that only used $10-$20 or brake fluid you're right on par with other service costs.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
So if you look up the car on most auto part sites it tells you that it must be replaced by a service tech and the computer has to be reset. *** are they talking about? seems like rubbish to me.
"Vehicle Computer System Must Be Reset And Battery Registered Using Scan Tool"