Battery removal question

deepzp

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hello,

I have a 2014 jetta TDI, I am in Canada and with lockdown and winter approaching the jetta will be sitting for nearly 6 months.

Can I remove the battery and keep it out of the car on a trickle charger plugged to the wall or will the car not start when I put it back in after such a long time?

I have seen posts saying to use a memory saver, but can't seem to find anybody talking about leaving the car sitting without a battery.

Thanks.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You'll be fine, and it's better for sure to have the battery somewhere being trickle-charged than sitting without charging for 6 months.

A memory saver is important for folks with radio settings etc they don't want to lose; car will be fine when you reconnect the battery again. Will probably want to roll the windows up and down a few times to reset the auto-retract is all.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
A possible different approach... is the car parked outdoors (or indoors) and anywhere near 110v power? You could attach a trickle charger for 24 hours maybe once per month to keep the battery in good condition...

deepzp

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I wish I had a power outlet nearby, it's in an underground parking unfortunately. Took the battery out this morning, thanks.