Battery Questions

Coasty

TDI
2002 Golf Manual 265k miles
I have a recurring problem with my battery. It passes a load test, and charges up to proper levels. However, if the car sits for a day or two without being driven, the battery discharges. I've checked for a draw and can't find anything significant .007A if I remember correctly. Cold weather seems to make it discharge faster. I'm assuming the battery is bad, but am looking for a more conclusive test or series of tests to prove it before buying another one.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Take the battery out and leave it outside overnight. Check it with a meter periodically. See if there’s any loss. How old is the battery

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Read some of the parasitic drain and battery drain threads. If you don't feel like tracking down the drain (can be a time consuming process) you can install a battery disconnect and turn it off when not in use. Not a great solution but better than not starting.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have a recurring problem with my battery. It passes a load test, and charges up to proper levels. However, if the car sits for a day or two without being driven, the battery discharges. I've checked for a draw and can't find anything significant .007A if I remember correctly. Cold weather seems to make it discharge faster. I'm assuming the battery is bad, but am looking for a more conclusive test or series of tests to prove it before buying another one.
I'm having similar issues these days, with a near-new VW-OEM battery from the dealer (purchased in August). My best guess is related to the CAN-BUS system being confused after the install of an aftermarket Android stereo; 120mm of rain here in the last four days so I haven't had opportunity to do much troubleshooting.

Take a look in the MkIV sub-forum here; there are a couple threads that are currently active which deal with parasitic draws / drains while the car is sitting.

Coasty

TDI
2002 Golf Manual 265k miles
Take the battery out and leave it outside overnight. Check it with a meter periodically. See if there’s any loss. How old is the battery
Its about a year old, and on the trickle charge tonight. I'll take it out tomorrow and let it sit a good 24-48hrs, and see what the voltage is at.