Battery drain

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Thanks in advance. What kind of drain can I expect on a 2011 parked indoors for lengthy time periods? Anything I could be doing to keep the car "awake"? It has a 1sh year old top end battery, charging system @ 100%, the windows/roof closed and doors locked. how much drain is normal per week or month?

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
We use this enough in our '11 wagon over the last couple years that I added a CTEK charger connection (https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-382-Comfort-Indicator-Batteries/dp/B002MT8S7E/) to Fuse Panel A (positive to the open post to the right in this image):
with the ground connected to the body ground point behind the starter battery:
We use this when a polar vortex descends on NW OH or we don't expect to drive the wagon for more than a few days or so. --g

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
We use this enough in our '11 wagon over the last couple years that I added a CTEK charger connection (https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-382-Comfort-Indicator-Batteries/dp/B002MT8S7E/) to Fuse Panel A (positive to the open post to the right in this image):
with the ground connected to the body ground point behind the starter battery:
We use this when a polar vortex descends on NW OH or we don't expect to drive the wagon for more than a few days or so. --g
Thanks, I may have to deal with it that way, was hoping not to...
Do you or anyone know if the 2011 sitting for say 3 weeks should kill a perfectly good battery without a trickle or two. It SHOULD be in sleep mode?

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
My (limited) understanding is that VAG modules on the CANBUS will go into a quiescent mode after a certain period of inactivity -- but they still draw some power from the starter battery. Reviewing recent discussions here on diagnosing parasitic current draw by measuring voltage drop across fuses with the car in quiescent mode (that is, driver door and hood open and latches in closed position) can be useful. Non-VAG modules (e.g. devices connected to the OBDII port more-or-less permanently, aftermarket radios, etc.) may not behave so nicely. --g

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I remember reading some recent post (but can't seem to find them) about "sleep" requirements. Doors opened but latched etc. to test. There was a current draw spec. listed that could be generall expected but I'm guessing at this point I'm probably within that range.

I do have e Kenwood with a motion camera and I'm more and more suspecting that

I love the car and it being a low mile wagon TDI 6m its an extinct unicorn so I have no desire to sell it. It gets love but minimal use so a trickle charger isn't reason enough to sell at this point

Good suggestion on the charger I'm looking into it

Last edited:

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I left my 2010 at the airport for 3 weeks last year, battery is maybe 2 years old- original didn’t quite make 10 years. It started up as if I had left it overnight.
I’m pretty sure the electronics go to sleep after about 15 minutes as long as all the doors are closed and locked, lights off etc. There are some references to that on here somewhere.
If you are having trouble with a battery drain you could consider removing the radio temporarily. Some people have found that to be a problem.

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
If I recall correctly, you have the polarFIS, that will drain your battery completely after parking your car for 2 weeks.

It's happened to a couple of local members who worked remotely with no need to drive their TDIs for long road trips.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
If I recall correctly, you have the polarFIS, that will drain your battery completely after parking your car for 2 weeks.

It's happened to a couple of local members who worked remotely with no need to drive their TDIs for long road trips.
Thank you for the heads up. Yes I have a polar and its not been reset since shutting it down for a smog. (y)

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Interesting- I have a Polar and have not had that problem. Not to say it couldn’t happen, I’ve noted others have had various problems with the Polar yet mine works as expected all the time- so far.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Thanks in advance. What kind of drain can I expect on a 2011 parked indoors for lengthy time periods? Anything I could be doing to keep the car "awake"? It has a 1sh year old top end battery, charging system @ 100%, the windows/roof closed and doors locked. how much drain is normal per week or month?
I know your battery is 1 year old but I would get your battery retested that it's holding the correct CCA that the battery is rated for, I seen too many brand new batteries that aren't up to CCA specs

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I know your battery is 1 year old but I would get your battery retested that it's holding the correct CCA that the battery is rated for, I seen too many brand new batteries that aren't up to CCA specs
I think Wilkins is probably onto something. The Polar is awsom... when its working again... i need to turn it back on and check. But yes the battery may be weakened from the drains

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
ok let us know
Got an appointment Wednesday. My 1st suspect is the Polar and 2nd the Kenwood (please no!)
I'm wondering if for some odd reason the Polar would only drain when shut off (if thats the culprit)

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm wondering if for some odd reason the Polar would only drain when shut off (if thats the culprit)
Can you measure voltage drop across the power fuse for the Polar device (and the Kenwood radio) with the wagon in quiescent state ? --g

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Only had 40 mAh draw. Turns out to be one to many low battery discharges took its toll. Costco time for a new battery. I'm very happy the polar and Kenwood are no issue!

The JSW can sit in the garage for extended times. After seeing post on excessive battery draw from leaving windows down I started putting them up and locking the doors. Seems that's needed to put everything to sleep.