Basic body work help, rust rear door

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
On my otherwise clean and rust free 98 A3 Jetta, it is bubbling around the door check hole on the driver side rear door. I'd like to remove the door for easy application of POR 15, both on the inner and outer portion of the problem area. Do I remove the door from the hinge or the hinge from the body, or can the hinge pin be removed? It has crank windows so I'm guessing that the rubber flex conduit is for that tiny speaker next to the inner door handle, (I always thought that was a fake)? Is there any trick to removing that?

I've read the POR 15 web site, but am not completely clear on prep, do I scrape the rust away first? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
On my otherwise clean and rust free 98 A3 Jetta, it is bubbling around the door check hole on the driver side rear door. I'd like to remove the door for easy application of POR 15, both on the inner and outer portion of the problem area. Do I remove the door from the hinge or the hinge from the body, or can the hinge pin be removed? It has crank windows so I'm guessing that the rubber flex conduit is for that tiny speaker next to the inner door handle, (I always thought that was a fake)? Is there any trick to removing that?

I've read the POR 15 web site, but am not completely clear on prep, do I scrape the rust away first? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
VW used to use wax spray on interior metal panels to keep rust away. if it's present you will have to remove it first and reapply after you are done.
doors rust on the inside because they trap water , check the drain holes

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

You need to remove 3 things to remove the door on a mk3: 1. the little black dust cover and then the bolt it covers using a 5.5/6 mm socket; 2. turn counter clockwise the big black accordian hose and remove it; 3. remove the nut on the door guide (by the car body so it can retract. Then lift the door up and off.

The rubber flex hose (accordian hose) contains the air line for your alarm system and electrical wires for your door (speakers, power windows if so equiped etc). Some pictures of the process are in my "Muffy" thread in my signature.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
Thanks for the info, looks doable for me. Will I have to cut the wires, or is it possible to remove the door card before the door removal to disconnect them, and the air hose?

I'm getting close to putting this on the market and the only other real rust I can find is one eruption, about the size of a dime near the passenger shock tower, 10:00 looking from the front. Is it advisable to POR 15 that?

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
First coat:

Second coat:

It took 5 hours for the first coat to dry. After an overnight set it will go back on the car ready to go. As an FYI the door accordian thing disconnects from the body pillar, I originally tried to get it off of the door. Tomorrow a wash and wax, then who knows maybe up for sale.

Last edited: