Balancing Issue

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
Anyone run into problems where one place Balances your wheels and you go to another place where they say its off?.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What is your root complaint here?

Some places use different types of machines, and some machines are in dire need of recalibration. And some wheels are bent, some tires are not round, so no amount of balancing can fix that.

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
One place Balanced my tires. But after driving and went back they rebalanced. To make a long story short, I went to another place because VW said my rim was bent. But this place said rimm good but the tire is off. Maybe radial belt too tight. Balanced the tire and it was off by .50

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well stand by the person spinning the wheel/tire on the machine and look for yourself. The wheel is bent or it isn't. Bent wheels, for whatever reason, are VERY common on these... and given your location I am sure the roads are not friendly to them.

You still have not answered my original question. Is there a reason you had them balanced? Did you get new tires? Has the car been sitting? Is there a vibration at a specific speed?

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
New wheels and tires there use to be a vibration at around starting at 45 mph. I felt it in the rear. I move the rear left to front left and rear subsided but felt the front had issues(Not as bad) around 65mph. That is when I went to VW who said wheel bent. then I went to a third place who said tire and also saw the front left tire off by .50. It is riding better now but I want to make sure its really good!!!

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
So I went to Mavis which uses a COATS Balancer. All four wheels were off. Total Static should be less than 25. All four tires were over 40. Two over 75.
Its all about how you mount the wheels for the Hunter Machine. Looks like with COATS machine you mount the wheel unles its on the correct size HUB.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Remember that VW wheels are hub centric and the balancer needs to be indexed on the hub center probably with the cones etc.