Balance Weight / Counterweight / "Brick" by passenger output flange

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
Mine seems to be missing, must not have been reinstalled by previous owner or mechanic. Does anyone feel it is necessary? Maybe I don't know what I am missing? I suppose I start getting vibrations over 80 mph. Seems I would have to search far and wide to find one.

Not going to lie, I've been tempted to cut off the bracket for easier tranny removal and installation.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
My general thesis is that VW wouldn’t have put it there if its engineers didn’t deem it necessary. Did I notice a difference with it not there? No.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
100% worthless junk of rust.
Scrap it. I've done 149 and everywhere in between with nknissues to point that I needed an extra 10 lbs under my feet.
This ,like many thing, was a last minute attempt to make some parameter compliant.
If you have speed specific vibrations, the wheels just need to be balanced.

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
Well, since I never had it since I bought it and don't know what I'm missing, and it's not looking like it will make anyone cringe, I will cut off the driver's side part of the counterweight bracket before putting the tranny back in.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I always imagined that it was for assembly. Like an operator is moving the entire assembly around on a chain hoise and it was cheaper to add a weight to keep it ballanced than it was to remake a jig to hold it.
Lots of features are there only for manufacturing. Like the plug holes, or lifting points on the engine.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Just BTW, since enlarging the exhaust to 2.25 flow thru(w/ OEM CAT), vibration(s) almost disappeared. That's what that block was designed to do, balance vibration IMHO...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just BTW, since enlarging the exhaust to 2.25 flow thru(w/ OEM CAT), vibration(s) almost disappeared. That's what that block was designed to do, balance vibration IMHO...
how, how is a mass bolted to another mass going to "ballance" vibrations?
that's what everyone says but it makes no sense at all. I have yet to see some actual evidence from anyone or anything that says what its for and the write up on how to replace/ repair/ remove/ or anything to it that is actually from VW

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’ve got a couple of these that I use as press arbors.

-Todd

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
how, how is a mass bolted to another mass going to "ballance" vibrations?
Depends on the relative weight and placement of the dampener.
Mongler98 said:
I always imagined that it was for assembly....cheaper to add a weight to keep it ballanced than it was to remake a jig to hold it.
This part was added to diesels only. The same subframe is common to all gas/diesel/tranny platforms. But it's not just a matter of adding a weight. They have to fab the installation point as well.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
In an age where they are trying to minimize weight and maximize efficiency they aren't going to hang 5 pounds of useless iron on the engine. I doubt it was cheaper to do that on every TDI than to redesign some tooling. And if it were they'd have removed it once it served its purpose.

I've wondered if it were a splatter guard in case the CV joint let go at high speed but never looked that closely at the placement.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
This isn’t the first time VW did this. I remember seeing a block of metal, bolted to a strap of metal, that was bolted to the inside, of the front bumper. This was only on diesel rabbits.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Actually if you check the parts cat the B4 (and some B3) k frames are different part numbers based on the engine it was to be used for, but what the actual differences are anyone can guess.

Further, every B4 car used a balance weight of some sort, VR6, 1Z and ABA. But each one is different and the mountings are different too. So since the mountings are slightly different based on the engine, it stands to reason that this is likely the difference between k frames...but that's just been my guess on it.

My B3V TDI uses a 92 B3 VR6 K frame, and it had a balance weight installed and I just left it there.

Steve

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I would also like to know the specific noise or vibration targeted for the weight. As I remember, I am using a K-member off of some gas MK3. The weight is not as large as the TDI version. I was trying to reduce noise in the cabin so I stuck it on there in hopes that it would help in some way. A dampener works by attaching a weight to a spring to oscillate on an opposite wave and cancel the vibration. The bracket functions as a spring, likely cancelling a certain vibration in the K-member from the engine or transmission. Ford has a guy that drives the track and listens for noises with his golden ears. This seems like a solution for the person that does that job at Volkswagen. They would not have spent money on this if it was meaningless to selling new cars off the show room floor but what difference does it do after 23 years of wear and tear in a rattily, old Diesel?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Hmmmm, pretty good questions all...
But !
An exhaust pipe resonator; oil filled motor mount, vent/ducts in cowl, weights, etc... ALL to minimize sound, vibrations or buffeting of air currents, mechanical oscillations (of low frequency human ear/butt capable notes).

I would suggest:
1. Increase exhaust diameter n minimize sound recoil (muffler, bends). In TDI's muffler packs really are not quite necessary, turbo kills exhaust notes 👍.
2. Larger turbo (actually mutes turbine RPM's)
3. Check motor mounts, exhaust pipe hangers

That's just what I would do...
(Of course if whomever it is that may want another TDI "brick", just post your address... Bet a couple will be in the mail ASAP...🙄 )
LOL, I got one. !

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All of this is again, subject to opinion and I stated, no one has presented. Part number let alone a description of the part from VW that described what it does or how to trouble shoot it.
If it functions, it has a write up. I have not personally scoured my Bentley manual but I have yet to find anything.
Very good opinion though!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would also like to know the specific noise or vibration targeted for the weight. As I remember, I am using a K-member off of some gas MK3. The weight is not as large as the TDI version. I was trying to reduce noise in the cabin so I stuck it on there in hopes that it would help in some way. A dampener works by attaching a weight to a spring to oscillate on an opposite wave and cancel the vibration. The bracket functions as a spring, likely cancelling a certain vibration in the K-member from the engine or transmission. Ford has a guy that drives the track and listens for noises with his golden ears. This seems like a solution for the person that does that job at Volkswagen. They would not have spent money on this if it was meaningless to selling new cars off the show room floor but what difference does it do after 23 years of wear and tear in a rattily, old Diesel?
It's not a vibration damper, VW calls it a balance weight, so I wouldn't expect it to do anything RE: vibrations.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
All of this is again, subject to opinion and I stated, no one has presented. Part number let alone a description of the part from VW that described what it does or how to trouble shoot it.
If it functions, it has a write up. I have not personally scoured my Bentley manual but I have yet to find anything.
Very good opinion though!
Instead of complaining about other's "speculation," and bemoaning that no one has posted part number etc then maybe you should do it? Further, I don't really understand why you feel like it has to 'function' in a way that satisfies your definition, nor is it clear why you're pontificating about something that you didn't even bother to check for in your Bentley manual?

What you've posted is entirely opinion and without any reference at all. Complaining about other's opinions when you marshal zero evidence to support your case is the worst of the worst.

Here's what VW says about it via the source I would give most credit to about this. Here's your part numbers and references.....

Diagram of engine suspension:

Different carriers (K-frames)

Different balance weights

Steve