Balance Shaft Upgrade Shops

tek4tex

TDI
2001 Jetta
Independent Shops in Virginia

I'm desperate to find a good shop in the Richmond area to do the balance shaft job. I've got a 2005 Passat wagon due now for the timing belt at 80,000. Does anyone have a good shop with experience in these installations?

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned and loved a 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon - Stonehenge Grey and Unchained!
Check out the TDI 101 "Trusted TDI mechanics" thread.

https://docs.google.com/document/preview?id=1Lucw8ALCkLtt79MMw9JOG1E_dX57-raBhbhIFdtHnEQ&pli=1#

Here's what it shows for Virginia, if you're near a state border you may want to look at neighboring states for a nearby trusted mechanic. Call them and find out what they know about the BSM replacement and how many they have performed.

Virginia

Ninedee_Golf_Tdi
Stafford, Va.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=14402

Matt Wallen (Car 54) in Woodbridge
matt@hilineauto.com
(571) 330-6882

Fallon Automotive
202 Lane Court, Unit F
Sterling, VA 20166
(703) 478-9550
fallonautomotive@aol.com
http://www.fallonautomotive.com

Protocol Auto (previously Autoville Service)
Joey Kaylor, Owner
610 E Main St
Floyd, VA 24091
(540) 745-6045
www.protocolauto.com

Jeremy Hoover
IKH TDI 212 Wood Ave.
Winchester, VA 22601
(540) 327-9899

Whiteheads VW
1275 Oceana Blvd
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454
Phone: 757.425.1999
Owner: Brent Whitehead
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=914

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
If you can't find anyone local to Richmond or Norfolk, I believe there are a few folks in the Raleigh area with good reputations. Or another one or two in the Baltimore or Bowie area. Might be worth a phone call or two. A lot of folks here have driven a lot more than 2.5 hours for the TDI expertise necessary for jobs as big as what you're looking to get done.

Take a look at he google docs link CoasterMoose posted and see what's within a 3 hour drive for you. If you can keep it within 3 hours, it's very do-able to get the job done same-day if you are able to work out a reserved appointment in the morning and can get out of your house before sunrise.

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Also - check parts availability first - these replacement modules are still somewhat scarce. I was at my trusted shop Friday for a tranny service (also very important! no more than 40k miles between intervals) and they had just unchained a TDI that day, and they had to wait 2 weeks for the BSM module.

kmancher

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon
In for tire swap - Out with BSM replacement

My wife took our 2005 Passat Wagon in for a seasonal tire swap and what should have been a $40 job, ended up at $4,000 as I was told the BSM needed to be replaced or I risked damage to the car, plus I needed a fan bearing replaced as well. The car has 136,000 km on it.

The folks at Town and Country (Markham, ON) were pretty good about the repair. I mentioned to them that I researched the issue in this forum and it was apparent to me that VW should be doing something to address the high cost of this replacement. They ended up knocking 10% off the price and included the loaner car for free. The total quote for the complete job (BSM and bearing) was $3500, which was very similar to the the quote from DCB Automotive for the BSM only with new engine mounts for $3300.

I also tried calling VW Canada to see if they would come to the table over the high cost of this repair. Unforunately, they would not as they said I was too far out of the warranty period (1 year). If anyone has had any success with escalating the complaint please msg me and let me know what you did.

Now they tell me that the part isn't readily available (which I was not surprised to hear, given what I've read in this forum) and they've let me keep the loaner so far. So, if you're looking for a place to get the BSM replacement done, I'm really happy with the initial service at T&C VW. See either Travis or Bart.

Once the parts come in and the work is done, I'll update the post so you can all know how the job at T&C VW turned out.

Kevin

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The just need to red order one with your VIN. Plenty available, Volkswagen is just being a pain to deal with.

kmancher

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon
Double Disappointment

The Parts Manager at Town and Country VW called me today. They've red ordered the part, but according to this forum so has everyone else in North America that needs one. So, the value of the "red order" is diminished.

Apparently, the original "7 to 10 days" has now turned into "the parts are not coming in until the middle of June." Which will take this out to 3 weeks. I've put a call into Corporate to see if they can get the part any faster - hoping that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Also, the service rep at Town and Country VW told me that even though the original deal was a free loaner, they can't do that for that long and I would now have to pay for the loaner or return it.

These events have been most disappointing, both from a corporate level for not having an adequate supply chain to handle these part orders (considering they recommended I not drive the car) and for the dealership for reneging on the free loaner.

WPGTDI

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
For all the people in Winnipeg. Frank Motor's called me today to let me know that will do the BSM swap. At this point they don't have anything lined up to get the parts. I have ordered my BSM from Bora and now need to wait for them to get some in. I'll post more once the work has been completed.

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my BSM from Gunther VW in Coconut Creek, FL. You may want to check to see if they have one in stock. They shipped it to me in Washington state in 4 days.

kmancher

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon
The squeaky wheel gets the BSM!

I got my BSM from Gunther VW in Coconut Creek, FL. You may want to check to see if they have one in stock. They shipped it to me in Washington state in 4 days.
Thank you very much for the tip on the part. I did call them and they had the part available for release. However, I was told by VW Canada that there is a very long process to ship Dealer-to-Dealer across boarder. In the end I did not get this part from FL, so if anyone else needs one give them a call. They had two instock on Monday morning.

Both VW Canada and the Dealership were both a little embarassed when I was able to secure the part before they were.

I had numerous phone calls between myself the dealer's part manager and Corporate Customer Service on Monday morning. In the end, VW Canada, called the US corporate head office in Auburn Hills, MI and they located the part at the warehouse in NJ. The part arrived this morning (I believe they overnighted the package).

A big thank you to CoasterMoose!! and everyone else in this forum, reading your posts helped me out alot when calling the dealer and Corporate Customer Service.

If you need this part and are told to wait a month, do not accept it. There are parts in the USA. I was told there are 4 dealers showing this part in inventory and if you are in the US a dealer-to-dealer transfer should be very simple to do. The parts maybe on hold for a customer, but they are in Coconut Creek-Florida, Montana, Portland and Louisville. The one in FL should be available for release.

And, now the actual work on my car begins... :eek:

Regards,
Kevin

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Looks like VW is of course in still official denial this problem exists on a car that even some dealers don't think exists. Just by not having parts available makes the problem go away, right?

bubba

TDI
2005 Passat
Looking 4 BSM Shop

2005 sedan: I live in Monterey CA and am looking for an experienced shop to do my BSM. I spoke with VW of Santa Cruz and they had never heard of this issue (no surprise).

Seb1

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GLS
So looks like its time for my BSM. the garage i'm sending my car never did the swap b4, however are willing to read the BSM repair manual. the not so good news are that they estimate around 2200 for the parts (hopefully tax in) + labour.
So i'm located in Montreal, Qc area,and question myself if should i take a chance of fixing it or let the car go ( sell it) it has now 209k km .I got it in 2010 with 75k km already done. (yes , i'm driving a lot). driving 10 hrs down south to have the car fixed, seem to be next to impossible, due to family. Could any one recommend any trusted mech close to CAN/US border?
Also, changing the BSM would it improve the gas consumption?( side question)
help is highly approciated.

Seb1

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GLS
less expensive on a long run or short run? if i compare the delete to actual replacement, which one will be cost effective (long run: $$ spent x millage).
I intend to keep the car for quiet while.
here is link to hear my engine aka coffee grainder

Last edited:

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
less expensive on a long run or short run? if i compare the delete to actual replacement, which one will be cost effective (long run: $$ spent x millage).
I intend to keep the car for quiet while.
here is link to hear my engine aka coffee grainder
DCB automotive in Toronto did mine a couple of years back, and it's still working fine.
There may be a problem with getting the the parts for a geared balance shaft. But parts for the delete seem available.
Look around the forum. Some people can't feel any change in vibration with the delete, especially if they upgrade the motor mounts at the same time. Others can. Call Brian at DCB to see if he can get the parts for a geared BS. And what he would charge for a delete.

AFAIK there's no downside to the delete, other than perhaps a tiny bit more vibration.

dneprrider

TDI
2x Jetta 2000 Mk4, 1x Passat 2005
BSM Delete Nova Scotia Valley Region - Canada

Cruickshank's Garage on Apple Tree Rd, Mount Denson, NS B0P 1L0

They just did a BSM delete on my 2005 Passat. I supplied the parts, most were ordered online from various vendors. I bought the [FONT=&quot]ALH Windage Tray [/FONT] and the three oil pump bolts from the local VW dealer.
The old sprockets were pretty worn out and the noticeable chain noise from before the delete is gone and the engine sounds great, just like a diesel should sound. I am very glad to have had this done.
They did a great job.

Muleears

TDI
'10 Jetta, Salsa Red, DSG
Does anyone have direct experience with Whiteheads Automotive in Virginia Beach, VA? I think I need a BSM. They are on the recommended list but I'd like a little confirmation.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Does anyone have direct experience with Whiteheads Automotive in Virginia Beach, VA? I think I need a BSM. They are on the recommended list but I'd like a little confirmation.
If you don't get an answer here, re-post in the Eastern Regional sub-group. I'm sure they will point you in the right direction to find the best person for the job in your area.

rockenator

TDI
2002 Golf
Another one done!

Just had mine done with the timing belt at 86k miles. I talked to my long-time mechanic who specializes in German cars and although he had never done the procedure, he was confident it would be no problem. So far so good!

My only issue was that the chain-driven parts he removed showed absolutely no signs of irregular wear or imminent failure. So now I am left wondering whether to feel lucky that my car is in good shape or foolish for listening to the "alarmist yahoos" on this board (as my wife calls them/you/us).

Anyhow, my mechanic is great and now has one BS module under his belt.

Tioga Honigmann
Automotive Solutions
2809 White Cross Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
(919) 933-3884
X2 Wife's car showed enough wear that the aftermarket extended warranty picked up most of the tab including 1/2 the timing belt change cost

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
I just done my own and it runs beutiful and quiet and smooth.
Much less noise than the chain made.
I also didnt see any wear on the chain or sprockets but chains do stretch and its hard to see but you can measure the pitch over several links.
Then you will see it!
I also put in new motor mounts at the same time.
Total cost of geared bsm, mounts,shipping and tax about $1800
My timing belt, water pump etc was already new.
So I guess pull wrenches for about 16 hours and add oil!:D
The ballance shaft deleat is not the way to go in in my opinion because the extra vibration will cost you in the end replacing expensive turbo hoses etc

Last edited:

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
BSM delete 30k ago. Commute 70-85 MPH daily all good so far.
It does use more fuel to shake an engine more at slow speeds
Harder on the mounts as well! Whoops
The old storry of pay me now or pay me later comes to mind.
I bought the gears and the mounts and now have a really nice car
And it gets better fuel milage than yours
Like I said it takes extra fuel to shake an engine

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Just did my first delete kit, WAAAAAAY cheaper in parts and the final result was no more vibration that I could detect than before. I did put on new motor mounts at the same time.

;)

Daedallus

TDI
2005 B5 Passat
Matt @ DSG Power systems in Saskatoon, SK Just did the BSD on my Passat.

Cleanest and most organized mechanic i know.(hes british) took him about 10 hours to complete, i supplied parts (Bora kit) and rented the tools. did not do timing belt/waterpump change as i had just had those done 4 months ago :mad:

I'm the purchasing manager @ DSG, so I'd be able to organize all that if someone needed.