Balance shaft module-hoe much noise is too much?

reynolcj

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf 4-door, 2005 Passat Wagon
Balance shaft module-how much noise is too much?

Hey guys. I'm having a hell of a time getting much info (aside from the amazing write up posted here) on the dreaded chained bsm. Even my tdi guru that is my go to guy for my normal tdi related work doesnt do this particular job. I've done enough timing belts to feel competent enough to take a job like this on, I'm just curious about how long I have. I hear a chain under the normal diesel clatter, nothing more or less. Is that too much? Should I not hear it at all? Is there a distinct sound that the tensioner gives off as it's failing? Thanks for all you guys do! It's the collaboration that makes this such a great place. Cory

Typing this up on an iPhone, so please forgive any grammatical errors :)

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
There is no noise that it indicative of imminent failure, unless it really sounds like crap. Only one of us, that I know of has actually heard the sounds of imminent failure without losing the chain. Lug nut happened to be a few miles from bringing it to Oilhammer's shop for the BS job when it happened. Others have heard no significant noise, yet their tensioners were found to be broken on dis-assembly.

Many whose chains have failed have not reported them to sound loud before failure.

If you can do a timing belt, you can do this job. The additional work is not difficult.

hysterwv

Veteran Member
reynolcj,

Mine made a bit of noise for some time, but I don't believe the sound got more intense before the tensioner let go. Just get it fixed. I work in Cinci a few days a month and couldn't locate anyone there to do the job. I had mine done in Athens, OH (www.thedubdoctor.com) but there's also a guru in Lexington (www.fastenough.com) that's been doing them as well. Either shop can take care of you. Just get it done before something REALLY bad happens. After you get it done you'll have no worries (261k miles here).

reynolcj

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the input! I'm incredibly tempted to try it myself, just wish I could have a guru on retainer so as to be there to ask questions of lol. Will probably give those two shops a buzz, hysterwv. We shall see what transpires! If anyone else has feedback, I'd love to hear it!

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
if you plan on driving this car, you best do the conversion. A high percentage have failed, and the risk of creating a problem which can cost the value of the car to repair, is quite real. Do you feel really lucky? if not do it before it jackpots.

reynolcj

Veteran Member
TDI
Contacted three recommended shops today, still waiting on response from 2. I get the feeling that they don't like doing this job lol; which still leaves the possibility of me doing itcoWny suggestions of other things to replace while the front is off the car? So far, I'm planning on the "deluxe" bora kit (or something similar) that includes all the necessary parts for the bs and timing belt. Also planning on motor mounts as it seems they are prone to fail. Anything else you guys would recommend?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
maybe a tc as they have been failing, or at least a trans service, fluid and filter.

edthacker

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI Chainless, Colt Cam, 5 spd european tranny, rear air bags
take a look at your cam shaft..another ticking timebomb.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Contacted three recommended shops today, still waiting on response from 2. I get the feeling that they don't like doing this job lol; which still leaves the possibility of me doing itcoWny suggestions of other things to replace while the front is off the car? So far, I'm planning on the "deluxe" bora kit (or something similar) that includes all the necessary parts for the bs and timing belt. Also planning on motor mounts as it seems they are prone to fail. Anything else you guys would recommend?
Too bad you are so far away, we love to do this job ;)

Check your CV boots and add the alternator pulley to the list as mentioned above.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Not making any noise is too much noise when it comes to the BSM. Sometimes they fail without warning. Sometimes they get noisy. Mine was slightly noisy, swish-swish-swish of a chain, nothing worse. Looked OK when it came out but based on the noise the dealer switched me to a geared BSM and got VW to pay 75% even though the car was 80k km out of warranty. Lucky for me no failure, totally preventive. However the site here is littered with broken BSM stories of folks that thought they could stretch it out a while.

Bottom line, if you plan to keep the car, it is money well spent.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
If no one else wants to do this you are more than welcome to take a ride out to me. I will help you with local hotel reservations, car rental etc. Brian (oilhammer) would do this as well. Also have you tried Mogolf?

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Thanks for the input! I'm incredibly tempted to try it myself, just wish I could have a guru on retainer so as to be there to ask questions of lol. Will probably give those two shops a buzz, hysterwv. We shall see what transpires! If anyone else has feedback, I'd love to hear it!
I did mine myself and it went pretty well. The write up has everything you need. Getting the crank bolt off and back on takes a lot of torque and you want to make sure and get the drive sprocket hot enough. It cools quickly when you touch the crank so there isn't a lot of time to seat it.

reynolcj

Veteran Member
TDI
leicaman, i finally took the time to listen to the videos. All i can say is, WOW! What a difference, it actually sounds like a diesel now ;)

That sealed the deal for me, as mine sounds verrrrry similar to your video. The question is whether it will go 100 more miles or 100,000 more miles; i don't know and do not feel like risking it. Will be a few weeks until i can get to this job, but the car is out of commission until i can get to it (whether i do it myself or get it done is tbd). Thank you guys so incredibly much for the input!

We need to make those video comparisons a sticky somewhere for all potential Passat TDI buyers so they know why TDIclub makes such a big deal about it!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Yeah scary isn't it. My dealer acted at the time like deer in the headlights. So it was off to Oilhammer to have it taken care of. You sure don't want it to let go and trash your motor.