Bailed out of TDI yesterday

P0234

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW
Sarcasm is hard to do in a forum. ;) However, I do now find your comment rife with comedy. :D
I felt it was so over the top that everyone would get it. I should have said a leprechaun from craigslist or something. ;)

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
If I purchased a tank, I wouldn't need to move from L.A. ;)

Sooo, a tank on the roof for long trips in order to fill from a 55 gallon drum which I send samples to the lab upon delivery and confirmation?

That might work - I was really thinking of an M1 Abrams, in case you got stuck in a really, really bad neighbourhood. Of course your mileage would take a bit of a hit.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
I was hearing that VW is instructing its dealers to suggest using a different brand of diesel to avoid HPFP failures. I'm not kidding.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I was hearing that VW is instructing its dealers to suggest using a different brand of diesel to avoid HPFP failures. I'm not kidding.
When I called VW customer service, and ended up talking to some "techie," about the problem (last March), he said they've seen many problems using Shell.

So, whether he was right or wrong, I have never used Shell.

OILPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
335d (still a TDI, technically)
When I called VW customer service, and ended up talking to some "techie," about the problem (last March), he said they've seen many problems using Shell.

Well, I hope this isn't entirely accurate, since I've used Shell on almost every fill up. I frequent the Shell station near me as it is new and has heavy traffic from diesel vehicles. I use a heavy dose of additive in every tank, so I deem the station's frequent diesel patronage more important than the brand of fuel.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well, I hope this isn't entirely accurate, since I've used Shell on almost every fill up. I frequent the Shell station near me as it is new and has heavy traffic from diesel vehicles. I use a heavy dose of additive in every tank, so I deem the station's frequent diesel patronage more important than the brand of fuel.
In this part of the world even if you buy another brand of fuel you have no idea whether it was refined by Shell, Petro Canada, Ultramar, etc. They all refine for each other and apply some brand-specific additive packages. I have no idea if the additives relate or not to lubricity, however I think trying to go for a specific brand is basically useless.

3516ACERT

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Explains a lot

In this part of the world even if you buy another brand of fuel you have no idea whether it was refined by Shell, Petro Canada, Ultramar, etc. They all refine for each other and apply some brand-specific additive packages. I have no idea if the additives relate or not to lubricity, however I think trying to go for a specific brand is basically useless.
So, that's why my 20 year boycott of Exxon has not yet brought that company to its knees?

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW

Alright!! Ive been using Shell almost exclusively for the past 40,000 miles!!!

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Exactly! When I lived in upper part of Virginia you could follow the fuel truck from a BP to an Exxon that was owned by the same company.
Here is that company BTW http://www.holtzmancorp.com/corp/retail_gasoline lol who knows whos gas/fuel they were really using.

Last edited:

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I hope it's not accurate either. I know what I was told, but I am hoping he was mistaken. Just in case there is something to what he is saying, I use Chevron and Sinclair.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Gawd! All this drama. You guys drive yourselves nuts about things you have NO control over. The only thing you need to worry about is that the pump says DIESEL. All this crap about brands, and cetane, and calling companies, and selecting just the right retailer is just that....crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk