Bad Sunroof Screen V42145.4-Tinting?

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Yes, another one here. An epidemic, yeah. Replacement price is ridiculous at dealer, at least 8 hours labor plus plus plus. I stopped by a tinting place and as I walked up to the guy he said "Sunroof screen bad?" Yep. Him: "I have done three in the past couple of months, $60.00 and do a 5%" So who as gone this direction and how as it been for you so car?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
If you search there is plenty of info regarding tinting of the pano roof. It is a mixed bag of opinions between those who say it will cause it to shatter, and those who say it is fine to do

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Well had it done with a 5% tint. With he 100* temps today in Reno, I immediately noticed a difference. Premier Auto Tinting was quick to do the work and very professional I would strongly recommend them.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I tinted my pano sunroof. I live in the middle of a desert and the sun is brutal here. What I learned from my tint guy is that there are basically 2 types of tints. There are tint films designed to absorb infrared (heat) and there are films designed to reflect infrared (heat). Most ceramic tints fall into the first group (they absorb heat) while most metallic tints reflect heat.

I have ceramic tints on all of my regular windows, but my tint guy recommended a metallic tint for the sunroof. Anyway, he installed Llumar Platinum 18 (18% tint) and it made a huge difference in the heat inside my car. This has been installed for several summers without any problems.

Have Fun!

Don

VeedUp

TDI
2011 RS JSW
I ordered one of the sunshades that is fitted for the pano, works great here in South Louisiana heat. It was $35, I ordered the one for the windshield also.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Pano tint cost

I think it's time to deal with the heat from the pano roof but my tint guy wants $250 to tint the roof with Crystalline tint. What did you guys pay- this just seems way out of line!

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
No No , not 250 for the roof, that's crazy. Same deal on my '09; I cut out the cloth shreds, moved the bar forward and had a metallic tint put on both glass panels for under $75. Good quality too, either Llumar or SunTek, can't remember. Metallic for reflection is key and costs less than ceramic.