Bad Motor Mount DIY

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Anyone have any hack's for stiffening MK4 motor and trans mounts without buying new? I recently realized that mine are completely shot and have been for quite some time. I thought they were going bad over a year ago and now over the last week have found that it's been a bit weird shifting into first when on a hill at times and sometimes 1 and 2 when driving around. (not 100% sure this is causing it, but seems possible.). Not to mention the very annoying violent engine rocking that happens when I'm in 2nd and let of the gas pedal.

I have thought about filling some mounts with window weld in all the gaps, but was going to see if anyone else has any other ideas that don't require buying brand new mounts.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I'm in the same position. I was going to bite the bullet and buy a new one since they're only 50ish from idparts and almost half that (diff mfg) on rockauto but if there's another way. Although I guess it'd have to be super easy and not permanently damage anything or at least allow me the ability to repair correctly later. will be interested to see what others have done.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in the same position. I was going to bite the bullet and buy a new one since they're only 50ish from idparts and almost half that (diff mfg) on rockauto but if there's another way. Although I guess it'd have to be super easy and not permanently damage anything or at least allow me the ability to repair correctly later. will be interested to see what others have done.
I'll let you know if I come up with anything on my own here. I'm going to be thinking about it over the next few days. I need to look at the mounts better.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ive seen people fill them with silicone before
Thank you for the idea! The only problem I have with that is how easily it detaches from things. It doesn't stick to anything in a rough environment.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I have heard of people using windshield urethane.
I think I'm going to try that. I am going to the parts yard tomorrow to get a trans mount.
I'm going to look and see what I find. I may try to find something cheaper then window weld. Any urethane should work....at least for a while.

Nickmix

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI
I think I'm going to try that. I am going to the parts yard tomorrow to get a trans mount.
I'm going to look and see what I find. I may try to find something cheaper then window weld. Any urethane should work....at least for a while.
I am sure if you Google it you can find different ways of doing this and what is the best filler. People in the "Honda" world have been doing this for years to their motor mounts.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Seen video's of people doing it on other cars, just didn't know if anyone had tried it on vw mk4 mounts before or if anyone had any better ideas. Yesterday I saw a video of a guy doing it on a mk4 mount and he said the last time he did it on a totaly shot mount it worked well for about 3yrs then he had to replace with a not shot mount and fill with urathane. I'll pick one up today and see what I come up with.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Bought the stuff today so in 2weeks I'll know how much stiffer it makes it. I'll let you know @benIV.
post it here! i would also like to know. if it stiffens up enough to rid alot of movement but doesnt rattle the car / interior apart i might to it to my car!

i ended up taking my poly inserts out of my stock mounts because the idle rattle was too much for my liking. after a couple months it had literally started rattling pieces of the interior loose lol

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
post it here! i would also like to know. if it stiffens up enough to rid alot of movement but doesnt rattle the car / interior apart i might to it to my car!

i ended up taking my poly inserts out of my stock mounts because the idle rattle was too much for my liking. after a couple months it had literally started rattling pieces of the interior loose lol
I am hoping for that exactly. Stiff, but no rattle. It should work. Right now I feel like my engine and trans is just clunking around in there lol. Waiting for it to come out of the car like this:LOL:.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
haha yes, i feel exactly the same. i put the new GTB2266 in and i think i almost immedietly ripped / degraded my stock mounts lol

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh by no means is it a new idea, I just haven't heard of anyone's results on a mk4 VW. The mounts are different then a Honda. So it may be stiffer.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

Yep, definitely shot.
I put in the "new" mount and it drives so much better now. I may end up doing the dogbone as well just to tighten it up a tad more. It feels slightly one sided as the other side has a bit more slop. Hopefully if i do the dog bone that won't be noticeable. At idle the vibration is slighlty noticable. It just kind of resonates a bit, doesn't shake the car though. Come off idle and its fine though.
I'll post more later.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
To riff on your thread title, here's a Bad Motor Mount Bad DIY. :D
(although in doing so, makes evident some excellent "don't do this" steps)

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
* Uses duct tape to seal the gaps to contain liquid
* Pours liquid into mould
* Liquid dissolves adhesive side of duct tape, leaks through
* "Oh bugger"
* Pours liquid even though it never stopped leaking
* Leaks more
* "Oh bugger"
* Orders more liquid
* One week later, begins same process with same roll of duct tape
* Leaks again
* "Oh bugger"

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I will try to Post an update in the next few day's as I have been pretty busy.
current thoughts:
the trans side mount is a lot stiffer and it has helped tremendously. a lot less motor and trans movement under the hood. the car feels a lot more connected and not like its just flopping around. the engine doesn't feel like its just floating in the engine bay which is nice. On the other hand because I only have one side done it feels slightly one sided. The other side is clearly felt to be more mobile. I am hoping to fix this issue on friday. Another note is that I would not fill the mounts to the extent that I did if I were to do this again. You will see what I mean when I post the video. While it has stiffened everything it is to much if I were to do the other side and also the dogbone mount. I may drill it out some to try and free it up some as once I do the dogbone and add a little to the other side it will be to much. Even with just the one side done it vibrates at idle a decent amount more then before now that everything is solid and hardened. I will try to get the video up soon and then let everyone know how it goes this weekend with the other side which I will not be removing to fill. Hoping to tighten up the other side slightly, but for sure not as much as this one as I used way to much windshield sealant. That said you should only need one tube in order to do all the mounts instead of using 1 tube for just the one side like I did.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
excited to see the video!!

i have started a list of suspension / mount related things to freshen my car up... i hope using the stuff i posted above in my mounts will give me a nice durable stiffish mount without making my car into a paint shaker like using polyflex inserts did at idle

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, I've never used that stuff before. might be a good medium. For as much as I put in my mounts its a bit stiff considering I only did one..