Bad mechanic or bad motor?

Italiano1212

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I have an 06 Vw Jetta tdi 1.9 BRM manual with 180,000 miles. I had my check engine light come on February 14. When I ran the code it came back as a cylinder 4 misfire, so the following day I drove the car home ( I was at my girlfriends) and parked it and started driving my second vehicle. I called my mechanic that day and told them what was going on. They told me to bring it in that Thursday. That Thursday, when I dropped my car off, ( I drove it there) I told my mechanic that he can take his time and do everything correctly, I had a second vehicle to drive. I informed them I was leaving for a trip to Indiana on May 20th and would like my car done a little before that. So I could trust it to make the drive. After calling on a weekly basis, it took them until March 29th to figure out that my rockers for my injectors had worn out terribly and needed to replace those, along with my injectors because the hats had worn away. He advised me I should have my cam and timing belt done as well because he was in there and they are notorious for failing. Before ordering any of the parts below I asked my shop if they would have any issues or would not recommend the brand I was perchasing and they agreed to everything I bought.

Stage 2 camshaft and install kit from KermaTDI tdi ($1350)

Injector o ring kit, for the hat from KermaTDI ($59.00)

Injector rocker from Europaparts ($371.84)

I dropped off the last of these parts on April 14th. On April 24th I was informed that my number 4 injector was bad and so I ordered a remanufactured injector from Rock Auto ($689.00) and had it overnighted to there shop. Then on April 29th I was told my number 2 injector was also bad, so I order another remanufactured injector ($689.00) and overnighted it to there shop again. I was also told that I needed 4 new rocker bolts because they were 1 time use bolts. I ordered those from Europaparts ($35.17), and took the four hour drive to pick them up that night after work so they could have them the next morning. On April 30th, I received a text saying my car was done and the total for the labor was $1320 and change so I went to picked up my car directly after work and payed them in full. I drove the car lightly because I assumed it wasn’t good to beat on a car with brand new engine internals. It seemed to run fine. I put about 87 miles on the car that night. Then next morning I started my car to leave for work and it started fine. While I was moving things around the inside of my car in my driveway my car stalled. When I tried to start the car back up, it made a slight clunk every resolution and wouldn’t fire. I called my mechanic and told them what had happened and they told me to bring it back in. After work, my friend and I loaded my car onto a trailer and dropped it off at my mechanic’s. I called and left a voicemail (they were closed by the time I got there) saying that I had dropped my car off.

Around May 5th they informed me that my cam shaft sensor was bad and they wouldn’t be able to get the part until the next day. I called almost every day until around May 12th when they informed me that my car had actually also jumped time and that it would take a little more time to fix. I finally got a call on May 17th telling me my car was done and ran well. After work that day, I picked up my car and paid them $280.00 . My mileage trip had about 5 miles on it so I figured they had taken it for a test drive which is why I didn’t question that the car felt that it was running a bit odd. I figured it was going through some kind of computer adjustments and the check engine light wasn’t on so I didn’t worry about it and left their shop. I drove about 13 miles before I heard what sounded like a rod knock, pulled over, and shut my car off. When I popped the hood I noticed that my timing belt cover was gone ( I later found it in my passenger seat floor). I called my father to come pick me up and when he arrived I told him to start the car to see what he thought. It started for about half a second and then locked up. After that the car wouldn’t turn over and I had AAA flat bed it back to my fathers house. So as of right now I have paid $4,7094.01 and waited 3 months and 3 days to have a car that I drove to my mechanics with a check engine light run a total of 100 miles. Is there anything I can do or is this engine toast?

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
... they informed me that my car had actually also jumped time and that it would take a little more time to fix...
I'm sorry to hear your story. I am sure by now you realize the mechanic screwed up royally. I'm even surprised they have the balls to tell you the engine jumped time after they did a timing belt job!! Talk to them, they should own it. If they play games, you'll have to sue. sorry.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What mechanic is this? Can you go to one of our trusted mechanics on our list?

Italiano1212

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Tip of our 101 page.
Trusted mechanics in your area it's a sticky at the top
There’s one from the list about two hours away. I have a family friend that worked for Vw for a long time so if he can’t find the time to look at it this week I’ll have to load it up and take it up there

Italiano1212

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I'm sorry to hear your story. I am sure by now you realize the mechanic screwed up royally. I'm even surprised they have the balls to tell you the engine jumped time after they did a timing belt job!! Talk to them, they should own it. If they play games, you'll have to sue. sorry.
Sadly my car is at their shop now. They wanted to look into it to see if it was there fault. All the mechanics there have worked for VW at one point or another so I’m puzzles as to how this could happen. If by some miracle I can get the car back this week in good running condition I’m ok with cutting my loses with them and parting ways. If not I guess I’m going to find a lawyer.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Doesn't sound like much of a professional outfit if you have to constantly providing your own parts. Sounds like a shade tree hack.

And now you have a worthless 3000 pound boat anchor. I'm sure they do not have any warranty, why would they? How could they? And of course the parts sources will point the finger(s) at the installer. You can lawyer up, but you probably won't get a whole although the lawyer will get paid one way or the other.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
All the mechanics there have worked for VW at one point or another so I’m puzzles as to how this could happen.
This is the reason why this happend.
Never take a specialty thing to anyone who does it all or says yes I've worked on those I can do it!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't know where you are in NJ, but you should get the car to Mike Hevner at M&M Auto/Cycle LLC for an assessment and estimate. He knows TDIs.

And, if any of these expenses are on a credit card, contest the charges. You may have to fight the credit card company to justify that the work was not done correctly, but Mike can also help with that.

Italiano1212

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Doesn't sound like much of a professional outfit if you have to constantly providing your own parts. Sounds like a shade tree hack.

And now you have a worthless 3000 pound boat anchor. I'm sure they do not have any warranty, why would they? How could they? And of course the parts sources will point the finger(s) at the installer. You can lawyer up, but you probably won't get a whole although the lawyer will get paid one way or the other.
I decided to provide my own parts because they only order oem from Volkswagen witch is $$$

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Anyone that says they will only order from Volkswagen is suspect in my opinion.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I agree, especially considering how much more expensive so many things from them are, vs. the availability of OEM items in the aftermarket. Not to mention the rampant obsolescence that is going on over the last few years at VAG.