Bad lifter?

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
98 ahu. 1 size larger nozzles by Giles.
The car starts and drives fine under normal use. It seems low on power a bit but I’m not used to the AHU so it could be normal. It has a bit of a Smokey haze, not normally visible during the day but sometimes is. Definitely visible in headlights at night. It’s up to date on all maintenance. Power comes in around 2200 but is gone by 3000. It won’t rev past 4000 in 3rd and the engine starts running noticeably rough above 3000. Cam is a Colt Stage 1 less than 20,000 miles ago.
What’s the best way to test lifters? Try and push them down and see if they are squishy? Anything else to check?

Last edited:

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
So I warmed the car up with a 20 minute drive, then parked it in the garage. I held the RPM above 2500 for 2 minutes then quickly pulled the valve cover and checked my lifters. The 3rd and 7th lifter were excessively squishy. I didn't measure but it would be near 1/16". So the cam is now pulled and I'm waiting on a set of lifters. Hopefully this resolves my issues.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Sorry, didn't see this thread till now but yup, that's the Bentley standard: warm 'em up and then push on 'em with a stick. :)

Most folks would say gotta do new lifters when the cam gets replaced anyways?

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Vince. I forgot to mention, lifters were replaced with cam. I noticed wear on the #4 lobe of the cam so I’m getting a new cam from Franko6 along with lifters.