Bad injector symptoms??

diesel_smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Deep Blue
I like to know what symptoms will show with my 01' tdi when an injector is bad or going bad? I'd rather not get into my cars issues but again list symptoms of a faulty injector.

Thanks

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
Knocking, smoking, surging idle. They don't all have to show up at once, but any of these symptoms could be caused by a bad injector. I recommend the use of a cleaning fuel additive on a regular basis to help prevent this situation.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
More times than not on a TDI bad injectors just means underfueling, which means low power.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Short of pulling the injectors and testing them, you can tell more from a cold start by looking at the exhaust than you can any other way. I've seen bad nozzles with less than a 100K and I've seen very good ones with over 150K on them. Their is no set magic number when it comes to this. Fuel quality has more to do with injector life than anything else. Using a fuel additive will help as well. If you use a good filter and change them regular and use fuel additive on a regular bases then a clearer is rarely needed.

Greg

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
SharanTDI said:
How often is it normal to replace injectors?
It really depends on the quality of fuel. Theoretically, if one uses a good fuel additive that has lubricating, cleaning and water-dispersing properties, the injectors can last indefinitely.

oilhammer said:
More times than not on a TDI bad injectors just means underfueling, which means low power.
Bad injectors will also increase emissions and engine wear.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, that is true. I was just trying to describe a "seat of your pants" symtom.

When I say low power output, I mean the car is dangerous to drive. Like a bad MAF times 3.

Greg, I actually have another set here I need checked out. :D

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
At 85,000 miles I had symptoms of knocking, smoking, and once or twice a surging idle. Replaced them with some larger used nozzles that were ultrasonically cleaned. Much nicer, and less smoke.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
How does an injector lose the ability to maintain fuel pressure causing a misfire. When this happens, can it be fixed or cleaned or is it just time for a new one? What should the specs be for a good injector on VAG?

golffriend

TDI
Golf mk4 variant
Hello, I am new to the forum and sorry for bad english...
Had big problem with 2 cylinder - misfire error, 2 injector bad values in group 023 (+20/-30/+12/+18) - 2 cyl. overfueling or too early injection. Engine stalls on idle or while driving. Golf mk4 TDI PD 85kW 2000 variant 6 gear manual. Engine AJM (as remember).
All cleared after EGR restoring (connected) and driving some time with MAF disconnected. Then MAF connected and cold restart cured all!
The problem was intermittent, temperature depending (40-70 C) a few times in month. Allso very hard start after stalling, 1 minute cranking reguired. No air in fuel. Cold start after night with misfiring (no air!). ECU algorythm problem because of EGR being disconnected. Problem arrised only after one month as EGR disconnected.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
It was not the MAF
The ECU measures the cylinders response ( combustion ) by measuring the rotational speed of the crankshaft . If a cylinder misfires , the ECU will overfuel that cylinder .That can exceed the injector parameters resulting in an error code

While a bad injector will give the same errors , the compression on the suspect cylinder should be checked first before blaming the injector

golffriend

TDI
Golf mk4 variant
In my case that were blow-by gases in fuel return from injectors and seals... I drilled 1 mm hole in thermostatic "T" on fuel filter and no more problems with injectors.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
How often is it normal to replace injectors?
My local guru, Jon Hamlton up in Marysville (Rally TDI?) says 80k.
From reading these forums I'm gonna say that's a pretty low number.
Again, just from my reading, I'd say 150k to 200k.
I'm curious as well to know what indicators there are.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Well I went to 350k on stock nozzles.
Started to get some smoke on start up and poor fuel economy.
Switched them out to sprint 520's.
Happier now.

PunchKangaroo

TDI
A3
I guess you can prolong their life with occasionally using strong dosage of ATF oil mixed with fuel (mechanical nozzles).

My group 13 figures went from
0.46; 0.42; -0.52; 0.59
to
0.05; 0.00; -0.16; 0.09 and oh boy how smooth the idle is now.

Never had this good cold start (-21 degrees) either before.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
The injector have a mechanical and Electrical component. The electronic side controls to the solenoid and may be OK, thus no code is given until it fails. The mechanical may fail to work well. In this manner, there are no engine codes, but the car is hard to start after sitting overnight and may require 3-4 tries to start until pressure builds up.

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
The injector have a mechanical and Electrical component. The electronic side controls to the solenoid and may be OK, thus no code is given until it fails. The mechanical may fail to work well. In this manner, there are no engine codes, but the car is hard to start after sitting overnight and may require 3-4 tries to start until pressure builds up.
I am unaware of this electrical component in this age of tdi. Tell me more.
Cheers

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Yep, 04-08 have electrical components. I had an intermittant miss, and my power was down, started perfectly though, 385K on them, changed them out to low mile PD150's, she's a whole new car.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
From my understanding, the electronic part controls the solenoid. One of my injectors leaked pressure over a long period time of sitting, there were no codes but the mechanical aspect was failing to maintain pressure when starting. After a three tries, it would start and run fine all day. Even parking it for hours, it would start instantly. The problem was usually after sitting overnight that starting was the issue. Anyone have a similar issue? Now, I am having the issue again, no codes, but starts after three tries. I figure the older injectors are now failing (it has 224K). Could it be anything else?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
From my understanding, the electronic part controls the solenoid. One of my injectors leaked pressure over a long period time of sitting, there were no codes but the mechanical aspect was failing to maintain pressure when starting. After a three tries, it would start and run fine all day. Even parking it for hours, it would start instantly. The problem was usually after sitting overnight that starting was the issue. Anyone have a similar issue? Now, I am having the issue again, no codes, but starts after three tries. I figure the older injectors are now failing (it has 224K). Could it be anything else?
Could be a weak lift pump or tandem pump.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
No that was replaced. After the injector was replaced, it ran fine. Hoping this will not be it again.