Bad Cam Sensor & Glow Plug Fault Codes - A story of my education

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
Hi Everyone,

I'm writing this thread to lay out some codes on my 2004 Jetta TDI, what I did to diagnose, what I didn't need to do and what I learned. My hope is that this thread will help someone out in the future.

Situation:
Car sat for 3 weeks in the garage due to not needing to drive it. The day I needed to use it, it started but I didn't hear the turbo whistle. Acceleration was ok but not the typical acceleration needed. So I went about my errands thinking the car just needed a good run. At the first place, it shut down with a hard shudder and when I came back after my errand, she took a few cranks to get going and a check engine light popped up. Back to the house we went to get out VCDS and find out what was going on.

Initial Codes were:
2 Faults Found:
19463 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
P3007 - 000 - No Signal
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 882 /min
Torque: 32.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 14.06 V
Bin. Bits: 00101000
Idle Stabilization: 0.0°KW
(no units): 48.0

19794 - Control Circuit for Glow Plug Controller 1
P3338 - 000 - Electrical Malfunction
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 882 /min
Torque: 32.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 14.06 V
Bin. Bits: 00101000
Temperature: 84.6°C

First Attempt to Fix:
So being a bit of a novice TDI sleuth, I went for the cam position sensor first. Long story short, investigated how to replace, ordered parts and replaced it. That did not solve it.

So found a video about how this could be triggered perhaps when a glow plug is bad. So I pulled the GP Harness and whoa, if fell apart in my hands.

That's when it dawned on me, what if the root of this was the 2nd code for Electrical Malfunction and something shorted out? So I went to pulling fuses in the panel and wouldn't you know it, the 10amp fuse in position 34 was burnt to a crisp like bacon. Well, folks, I think I was on to something.

The Fix:
So I replaced the fuse, wrapped the GP Harness in electrical tap and did not connect it back so I could test the circuit. Well, the car started right up, turbo whistle was back and all the fault codes I had left were for no signal to 4 glow plugs.

Ordered a brand new GP Harness, spliced that in, car started right up and now, zero fault codes. The car is back running like a champ!

What I learned:
1. Glow plugs and cam sensor power is (likely) driven off the #34 fuse in my 2004 Jetta
2. Focus more on diagnosing the power challenges first as, had I tested the power going to the Cam Sensor, I would've seen it wasn't receiving power, thus, start with returning power to it.
3. Understand better the fault codes. When it says, "No signal", then that's more likely no electrical power that needs to be addressed.
4. Don't throw parts at these items without doing some testing.

Anyways, putting this out there in the hopes it may help someone in the future.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
osesu96,
You are correct.
The codes only point to the problem, not the component.
It takes more testing to diagnose it correctly.