Backup camera quit working

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
On my 2012 Passat TDI SEL, my backup camera stopped functioning. I started the car one day, the RNS510 would not boot past the VW logo. I turned the car off, restarted, the radio seemed to reset itself (it took a little while to start up) and worked fine after. Ever since (last fall), I've had no backup camera.

I am the 2nd owner, bought it 3 years ago. From reading some of the threads here, did the loaded 2012 model even come with a backup camera? It sure looks OEM, but now I'm not so sure how to proceed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I don't believe they did, I think they were added in 2013. The VW parts bin and coding easily added a back up camera to any NMS with a NAV system. I added one to our 2012 NMS SE with Nav.

But seeing you're also having issues with driver door locks and other electrical gremlins, it might be an issue with a failing common ground of some sort.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Does your car have the original battery from 2012?

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I replaced the battery about 6 months ago. I think this it's 3rd battery.

I really hope it's not a weird wiring issue and it's just crap parts. As mentioned in the other thread, it might finally be time to buy one of those vagcom units to see what's what.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
VCDS will help indeed.

I believe there are ways to test the camera itself, attached to something else for output, although you might need a signal conversion and rig something out, of course.

I wanted Android Auto and a USB connector, so I changed my head unit to a Chinese one RCD360, which also eliminated the Bluetooth module under the armrest. The RCD360 uses a different signal than the OEM camera, so I also had to add a little conversion box...so far so good.

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Since it sounds like the previous owner added later model parts and added this camera functionality with VCDS already, is it possible that when my head unit seemed to reset itself, it lost whatever changes that VCDS made to enable the camera? It stopped working right after my stereo wouldn't turn on and seemed to take it's sweet time coming back after a restart. Hoping it might be that simple, anyways.

Seems I really need to buy a scanner. Is there a best one people like?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I believe the RVC has to be activated in the headunit. Only VCDS can do that, or ODIS which is what the dealer uses, but costs thousands.

Edit: Maybe also OBDEleven can change coding and adaptations, not sure, since I don't have one of those dongles.

Last edited: