backup cam stops while backing up

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
I've had this happen a few times, I think it's when I go over 10mph in reverse. The camera turns dark, I believe its when I got 10+mph. It's nearly caused a wreck for me as I have a long driveway with high sides on it. Seems like a horrible "feature" to turn off the camera at high speed in reverse.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior or if I need to talk to my dealer.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
I've had this happen a few times, I think it's when I go over 10mph in reverse. The camera turns dark, I believe its when I got 10+mph. It's nearly caused a wreck for me as I have a long driveway with high sides on it. Seems like a horrible "feature" to turn off the camera at high speed in reverse.
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior or if I need to talk to my dealer.
I have experienced this as well. slow down and it comes back on. Definitely disconcerting as I have a long curving driveway and wasnt looking over my shoulder! I normally use the turnaround and drive out, but circumstances required I back out that day.

assorted

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Also turns off when your tires lose traction. It's probably more of a safety "feature."

WildChild

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline TDI 6MT
I experienced this as well when releasing completely the clutch or when tires lose traction.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Makes good sense to me, in our sue happy society I could see some numbskull suing VW because they couldn't see out of the back up camera as they were going 40 MPH.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Just use your mirrors and forget about the stupid camera.
I fund useful only when backing up close to something due to the fact I lose all concept of where the rest of the car is and it's surroundings.
I'd disable mine permanently of I could.
Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The backup camera is supposed to be an aid, not your primary source of information. If you're cruising in reverse at speed (whatever "speed" is,) you should probably be using your mirrors and windows, and not relying on the radio screen.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I'd say just slow down. I agree the camera can be the best tool. Long walled driveway is a good example but you can't save any real time by hauling butt in reverse. Like seconds really.

I appreciate you letting us know about this vw feature.