Back up camera stopped

rfh0928

TDI
2015 VW Jetta SE
Randomly my backup camera on the 2015 Jetta stopped working...does anyone know why this happened and how to reenable it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfh0928

TDI
2015 VW Jetta SE
It's working now, but it just didn't enable when I was in reverse. It was working all day and then when I drove it again it wasn't working. It was weird

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
It's working now, but it just didn't enable when I was in reverse. It was working all day and then when I drove it again it wasn't working. It was weird

Hey so I actually had/still have that same ongoing issue with my backup camera. Long story short, the issue would appear randomly when i'd go to back up. Sometimes it wouldn't show up other times it would show up briefly and then quickly cut out. I brought it back to the dealer various times, with the dealer fix sometimes making it worse. They literally replaced everything they could. Back-up camera, RCD 510 (Replaced 2x), Main wire harness, Fender Amplifier and other stuff I can't remember. All in all, it was probably close to 10k in parts/labor all footed by VW.
The last attempt to fix by them, was updating the firmware on the head unit and running another ground. Being that I purchased the car in NJ the car fell under the lemon law. Because it wasn't a major issue, meaning things like the engine etc. VW offered me a payout instead of taking back the car. I ended up getting a $5,250 check from VW. The problem is still there, but it rarely happens. In fact I am so used to it now anyway. The Jetta is so small and I am so big, it's easy for me to see everything behind me by turning around...Something I always did prior to owning this car anyway!

I'd keep bringing it to the dealer, be a real pain the ass about it and maybe VW will offer you some sort of compensation as well.

Last edited:

rfh0928

TDI
2015 VW Jetta SE
Hey so I actually had/still have that same ongoing issue with my backup camera. Long story short, the issue would appear randomly when i'd go to back up. Sometimes it wouldn't show up other times it would show up briefly and then quickly cut out. I brought it back to the dealer various times, with the dealer fix sometimes making it worse. They literally replaced everything they could. Back-up camera, RCD 510 (Replaced 2x), Main wire harness, Fender Amplifier and other stuff I can't remember. All in all, it was probably close to 10k in parts/labor all footed by VW.
The last attempt to fix by them, was updating the firmware on the head unit and running another ground. Being that I purchased the car in NJ the car fell under the lemon law. Because it wasn't a major issue, meaning things like the engine etc. VW offered me a payout instead of taking back the car. I ended up getting a $5,600 check from VW. The problem is still there, but it rarely happens. In fact I am so used to it now anyway. The Jetta is so small and I am so big, it's easy for me to see everything behind me by turning around...Something I always did prior to owning this car anyway!
I'd keep bringing it to the dealer, be a real pain the ass about it and maybe VW will offer you some sort of compensation as well.
So I went to bring it in to get serviced today and the lady in the service department told me, that I need to recreate it even though it only happens sometimes and that even though I have the fault code, there is nothing that they can do. I have yet to make my fist payment on it, I'm so pissed.

Nick_F

TDI
2015 Jetta TDi Highline
So I went to bring it in to get serviced today and the lady in the service department told me, that I need to recreate it even though it only happens sometimes and that even though I have the fault code, there is nothing that they can do. I have yet to make my fist payment on it, I'm so pissed.

Welcome to the world of Volkswagen warranty

I have the same stupid issue with my 2015, but since i apparently need 5 techs there mothers, and a supreme court justice to witness it it, it doesn't exist.

I tell people to stay away from buying a new Volkswagen, because the warranty is absolutely useless.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta

No, Bull****. Explain to that silly little girl that it's an intermittent problem.

Also, if they like they can call VW of Flemington NJ that is the dealer that I brought it to. Maybe they will tell her how I had to bring the car in over 10 times for the same issue and they were only able to re-create/capture it twice.

Make sure to tell them to scan the camera itself. My dealer didn't believe me the first 3 times I told them about it. Finally the 4th time they did a scan and found the stored errors.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Welcome to the world of Volkswagen warranty
I have the same stupid issue with my 2015, but since i apparently need 5 techs there mothers, and a supreme court justice to witness it it, it doesn't exist.
I tell people to stay away from buying a new Volkswagen, because the warranty is absolutely useless.
Well I am glad to see that I wasn't the only one and by glad I don't mean in the literal sense. VWOA tried to downplay it like I was the only person that was experiencing such issues. The dealership initially tried to play this card as well, but they ending up feeling really stupid when they loaned me a Passat with the RNS and as I was leaving their parking lot the same thing happened.
I guess they thought the joke was on me huh? Trying to convince me that there was nothing wrong..Lol well joke is on them.

All in all the grand total is:

RCD510 replaced 2x
Main wire harness replaced 1x
Back up camera replaced 2x
Camera harness replaced 1x
Fender Audio Amplifier replaced 1x
New ground points
Countless hours of labor by their techs in either trying to duplicate the issue or trying to fix it.

God only knows how much that cost, but the service manager told me the main harness alone was $2500 if I remember correctly.

Oh and the final laugh was my tax free payout of $5,250.00 with an additional 1,750 going to my lawyer, yes an additional meaning not out of my 5,250.

This whole ordeal ended up costing VW $10,000. That's an estimate, but wouldn't be too far off considering all that I posted above.

Keep fighting them to get it right. Be a real a-hole, pain in the bleeping ass. Don't be easy with them.
You paid a lot of money for your car and you didn't buy a car with a back-up camera that works sometimes.

sivic

TDI
2011 jetta
Same problem on my 2015 Jetta. Put in reverse 1 out of 10 times "camera not available" posted on screen. Rest of time nothing displayed on screen but radio station. So far radio, harness and camera all replaced at dealer with no luck. Any solutions??

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Same problem on my 2015 Jetta. Put in reverse 1 out of 10 times "camera not available" posted on screen. Rest of time nothing displayed on screen but radio station. So far radio, harness and camera all replaced at dealer with no luck. Any solutions??
Keep bringing it back to them. Find out lemon law in your state.

I think it has to do with the software getting corrupt in the head unit. They literally replace everything in my car.

That or perhaps a faulty ground. They never did fix it 100 percent. Although it happens less frequently these days

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sws@att.net

TDI
2014 Passat
I have a 2014 Passat TDI with 6spd and the backup camera, I purchased my car in March 2014.

In the fall of 2016 they replaced my radio, and have been going on for at least a dozen service visits, when the backup camera frequently goes into "unavailable" and my radio console locks up.

I also moved my SAT Radio subscription, and the SAT radio service provider says my radio appears as a 2015 radio, and they thought I had bought a new car.

VW has cut the wires in the wiring harness, they have run wires outside the harness, they see lots of errors with grounds etc, when tested on the car. They then brought in the Regional Engineer, who said this was a "Product Characteristic" and that my software "was old since my car was a 2014" and I will have to live with this.

Since my car never did this when I bought it, and the problem seems to have bloomed when they changed the radio and cut into the wiring harness (at the instruction of the district office)

Here are some video links, what do you think I should do? I think it is CRAZY that VW is now saying that this is a "Product Characteristic" after they have spent almost a year working on my car?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...Foxb1pLeW5BaXc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...0dUOUJPSDFwVXM

chouff

Volkswagen knows about it

I have it from a reliable source that Volkswagen is fully aware of the backup camera failure problem. It seems it's pertinent to only the 2015 "radio/system". The 2016 and 2017 models don't have the issue. If enough people who have this problem bring it forward and demand action maybe VW will act rather than have their image tumble even further down.

Mannyfester

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon
I have this issue where my camera turns off for 2 seconds when i reverse. I made a video and gave it to my tech. He opened a ticket with VW.

kacuste

TDI
2014 TDI Passat SEL
I just bought a used 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium and the backup camera does not even turn on when I put the car in reverse. It seems like with most of the issues here are intermittent issues whereas mine just does not even turn on at all. Has anyone found a viable solution for this issue that does not lead to replacing the head unit with an aftermarket one.

shoestring

TDI
2014 Jetta
My 2014 Jetta camera has also worked on and off since I purchased the car. When it would work it was so dark it was pretty useless anyway. Has anyone tried either aftermarket set up or seeing if VW will put in a newer unit since the newer models don’t have the problems?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Both my 2014 Jetta Sportwagon and my 2014 Tiguan have the intermittent camera.
Happens once or twice a month at most.
Both have the RCD 510 radio.

Will solve the JSW problem shorty when I swap my Kenwood in. :)

I wonder if the radio has a software update needed?