Back in the Diesel saddle again - what do I have to keep an eye on?

77RabbitDiesel

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Drove my first diesel, a Rabbit in 78, not in 77 as my stage name indicates but I typoed and now I can't correct it. Drove my last TDI back in 2013 when I sold it, because I no longer needed a long range vehicle. Now, in 2020 I once again find myself looking for a long legged vehicle so I found a nice blazing red 2015 Jetta w/ DSG with 18K miles on it and picked it up a couple of days ago. Fits me like a glove.

So, what have I missed? The guy I bought it from briefly mentioned the DEF filler thingey in the trunk. What's up with that? Is DEF expensive? Do I have to fill it up often? IF so, is it a pita to do so? Where do I buy it?

I'm thinking of getting a personalized plate for the car. If I'm feeling naughty I mighty go with "DRTDZL" or "OUTLAW" but if I'm feeling innocuous I might just go with "RedRidr".

Good to be back.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Welcome back! My first diesel was also a '78 Rabbit. The 2015 Jetta does require Adblue, the filler is in the trunk as noted, and it should only require filling at each oil change service. Post Dieselgate fix some have noted needing more frequent fills, but a lot of it depend on your driving habits.

Aside from the quantum leap forward in power, noise levels, and refinement since earlier diesel days, your experience won't be that much different. There's a lot going on in these cars behind the scenes to control emissions, but the one thing you'll notice is regens. When the car goes into regen the idle speed will bump up slightly, and often the cooling fans will run on high during the regen, and for a time after you've shut the car off. There's no dash indicator of a regen. Don't be concerned, it's all normal. Some folks try to avoid interrupting a regen, but VW clearly wasn't concerned about this, otherwise they'd have given us indication and instrutions. One thing I do is if I pull into a parking space and the car's in regen I'll wait to shut it down for a few minutes.

Enjoy the car.The '15 is the best of the MK6 Jetta, for a number of reasons.

77RabbitDiesel

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Thanks for your response. Where can I get AdBlue? Undoubtedly a VW dealer but is that the cheapest? What is needed for installation?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Thanks for your response. Where can I get AdBlue? Undoubtedly a VW dealer but is that the cheapest? What is needed for installation?
Any parts store will have it.

The issue with your vehicle will be the expense of maintaining the emissions system once the extended warranty expires. If you get any check engine light the diagnostics should be free during the warranty period. You should look up when (year and mileage) that you have coverage. Then make sure any issue that comes up is fixed by VW at their expense. DPF catalysts and associated parts can run in the thousands. There are also big issues with high pressure fuel pumps (HPFP) but I'm not sure if it applies to your years. So be cautious

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
What most people do is get a bottle that attaches to the tank top, like this one: https://www.idparts.com/adblue-def-half-gallon-g052910a2-p-2604.html then you can cut the bottle bottom out and use it as a funnel. You can buy Adblue just about anywhere: filling stations, Walmart, auto parts stores.
Definitely follow IBW's recommendation. Adding DEF at each 10K service is a piece of cake.
I "unlocked" the locking threads and use a funnel to refill the bottle away from the car. You just have to be sure the nozzle stays with the bottle when you're disconnecting from the filler neck in the trunk.
Either way, the bottle works great since it helps minimize spillage in the trunk. I always put rags around the filler neck, just in case, but haven't spilled any yet.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
My first new car was also a 1978 Diesel Rabbit and it was followed by many VW diesels the last being a 1999 Jetta that in 2002 I no longer had no use for a long range vehicle. A year ago this month I bought a 13k mile 2014 jetta sport wagen tdi with DSG transmission that originally was in NC. I flew to Milwaukee Wisconsin to bring it home, a 400 mile + test drive so to speak. The DSG transmission knows exactly when to shift. Love the car and it might be the last car I buy. It does not use ad blue.