Back in a VW....sort of

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
But it is not a TDI :(

Just picked up this 09 City Golf for my daughter. She turns 18 next week. Already looking to do mods to it. LOL.

Anyone have a bluetooth head unit?

City Golf.jpg

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I have an android one in my jetta from ebay and i love it...tons to choose from...usb, sd card slot..hot spot it and have navigation and anything you want...and Bluetooth as well

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - those 2DIN Android-based stereos are a pretty solid deal. ~$100 and even includes backup camera.
(I want a how-to from Wingnut on installing / wiring for the backup camera - show me how I've been doing mine wrong all these years. ;) )

Other upgrades: An armrest (shocking what VW de-contented on these late-Mk4 City G/J), Recaro seats, K&N filter (jk), @gmenounos's new software tool to program hatch to unlock with the doors.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
We just bought an A5Q 2.0T for a "winter beater". Only thing I didn't consider was the factory MMI setup makes it difficult/expensive to upgrade the radio/NAV. It's a base model and wish I could just drop in an Android double din! There is MMI stuff out there but starts around $600USD.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The window mod will be done tomorrow when I can find my laptop. I haven't used it in years. But the hatch mod would be very handy. I have been doing hatch mods on wagons for years, but was unaware that it was possible on the Golf. I'll have to figure that out.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How did you do it on the wagon? I take it you weren't using the "new" flipping bits of the CCM in VDS-PRO (?).

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have been using VDS Pro to do window mods and wagon hatch mods since the mid 2000's.

The memory address on the wagon to do the window mod also does the hatch if you change the addresses as follows:

04361 from 202 to 195
04362 from 202 to 195
04363 from 202 to 195

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh wow - that's interesting; I've worked on a couple wagons recently, and had to make separate coding (at 04370,1,2 IIRC) to activate the trunk.
Maybe I was using the wrong coding from 202, though (?). I'll have to try that the next time I see a wagon.

The "new" I was referencing was figuring out the separate coding at addresses 04352, 04353, 04354.

Current state of the "art" :) :

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The window mod was 202 to 194. Making it 195 does both the windows and the hatch.

I'll have to scan my CCM to see what the part number is and see what the current value is for address 04352,3,4. From Gregs thread, it looks like that is the address to do the hatch on the Golf.

I'm still confused on how to convert the values though.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A decent calculator app, or any spreadsheet, will have a DEC2BIN / BIN2DEC function (convert decimal <--> binary).

So, if you see 136 as the value in addresses 04352 et al.,
136(dec) = 10001000(bin)
View each of those ones or zeroes as an "on/off" switch.
According to that chart I posted above, bit7 (highlighted) is the bit that determines whether hatch locks/unlocks with doors or not.

So, flip bit7 from a 1 to a 0, and we get 00001000(bin) = 8(dec)

I've had a couple CCMs where that didn't work, so I just dried changing other "on" bits (1) to "off" (0).
e.g., one car had 204 (11001100) as the coding of 04352 et al; changing bit7 to 0 (01001000 =76dec) didn't do anything, so I tried the other "1"s, and 11000100 (196dec) did work.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Success. Was able to change 04352,3,4 from 200 to 76 and the hatch is now unlocked with the doors. But one side effect, when the car is running, the button in the door does not open the hatch. I had to turn off the car to get it to work.

Also did the window mod with VDS Pro. I used VCDS to do the auto unlock and disable selective unlocking (one push to unlock all doors instead of 2).

One mod I have to undo was I enabled the low washer warning in the dash while I was disabling the seat belt warning. Turns out there is no sensor in the washer tank, so the low washer light is on the dash.

Thanks for the info on the hatch mod Nuje!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Success. Was able to change 04352,3,4 from 200 to 76 and the hatch is now unlocked with the doors. But one side effect, when the car is running, the button in the door does not open the hatch. I had to turn off the car to get it to work.
Now that you mention that, I do remember reading somewhere that the driver door's hatch release button stopped working. Since I did this mod, though, I've never used it because anytime I'm in the car or driving....well, my door is unlocked (auto-lock disabled) so the hatch is unlocked as well.

With all of that said, surely it must just be another bit that can be flipped one way or the other which determines the usability of that driver door hatch release. In my notes, I have an example of 200 (11001000) at 04352,3,4 and got the hatch-unlock-with-doors working using 88 (01011000). Maybe give that a whirl (?).

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
One thing I noticed, the first thing I did was read the value of 04352,3,4 with VDS Pro and they were all 200 (as indicated on the chart above). Then I plugged in my VCDS and did the auto unlock adjustment. When I went back to VDS Pro, the value changed from 200 to 204. So the CCM you mentioned above may have had the auto unlock enabled at some point via VCDS. But changing it from the new value of 204 to 76 still worked for the hatch. I will try 88 and see if it makes a difference with the door release switch.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
200 = 11001000
204 = 11001100

You can see from the chart below that bit2 (third from right) is what determines auto-lock on/off.

So, yes - changing auto-unlock to off would put a 0 in bit2, changing the decimal value of that address from
204 (bin 11001100) to
200 (bin 11001000).
(You've probably already figured that out, but I'm just writing it out because it took me a looonnnnnnng time and many examples to figure out the how/why/what of what I was doing with changing those addresses. Hopefully, this over-explaining assists others who are intrigued and wanting to take a shot at this.)

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
As for head units.....I'm a little leary about putting a cheap one in when quality brand names are not much more with current boxing week sales. I'm considering this one to get basic radio/Bluetooth functionality. $178 + tax with free shipping.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cool thing with the Android-based ones is that they're basically an Android phone in double-din form factor.
That means you can download any app from Google Play store - literally the Android Auto launcher / interface; or the Torque OBDII app; Spotify; Google Maps; Waze; etc. And have it piggy-back off your phone's cell connection to get live traffic, audio streaming and whatnot.

The name-brand units - you get the interface and "apps" that Pioneer / Kenwood / JVC / whoever decides and that's about it.

(Also, that particular model: Note that one of the photos shows that one of icons is "iPod" - just to give you a sense of how old/dated the hardware/firmware must be. :) )

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If it were my car, I would love the android options but my daughter is an apple user. She wouldn't get much functionality from an android unit. Besides, I don't want too many gadgets to distract her. Thus the reason for looking for Bluetooth, so she can put her phone in the armrest and not be tempted to pick it up.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh - i'm totally iOS / Mac, but still got the Android head unit because it offered options (and having had a high-end Pioneer NEX unit in the past and the subsequent frustrations with its limitations).
Also - throw in an extra $70 and you can put the iPhone in the armrest, and get Apple CarPlay (legit) on the screen of the Android head unit.

(I have no idea why I'm shilling for these units - I'm often frustrated by mine, but I guess it's just knowing how kneecapped I felt with my old-tyme Pioneer F700BT, moving up to the 8000NEX and still being rather "meh" on it, despite having spent over $1000 for it.)

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have been using VDS Pro to do window mods and wagon hatch mods since the mid 2000's.

The memory address on the wagon to do the window mod also does the hatch if you change the addresses as follows:

04361 from 202 to 195
04362 from 202 to 195
04363 from 202 to 195
I know of the window mods, but what are the hatch mods? pardon for asking questions - but that piqued my interest. would it work in a mk6 wagon?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hatch mod is simply to have the lock in the hatch mirror the doors: Unlock car doors, hatch unlocks (and stays unlocked) until you lock the doors again. The middle button on the remote becomes pretty much superfluous.

No idea regarding Mk6.

hhpeter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002
Is it possible to do the hatch mode on a mk4 golf? If yes can it be done with vagcom cable? Thanks

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes - the hatch mod on the Mk4 (Golf) is definitely do-able, but as stated above, the current VCDS doesn't provide that capability, but an old "dumb" KKL cable (really old-school Vag-Com clone) will work.

There's a whole thread based on a software tool developed by a member here to make doing this fairly straightforward. It's long, but most of the info you'll need is in the first couple pages.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Welcome back to VW world Nigel.

Kids are getting old!

Reactions: je

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Cheers mate. Glad to be back. Its fun wrenching on a MK4 again.

Just found out the City cars don't have cabin filters. Bought one, went to install it, and found a screen in place of the filter housing. DOH!

Looks like something was living in there too? The black thing on the left is the screen. VW really cheaped out on these cars.
20210310_205009.jpg

Luckily I found a guy parting out a MK4 close by and picked up a housing for the price if a coffee. taking advantageof the nice weather and will install it tomorrow.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Just found out the City cars don't have cabin filters. Bought one, went to install it, and found a screen in place of the filter housing. DOH!
Looks like something was living in there too? The black thing on the left is the screen. VW really cheaped out on these cars.
Wow, yes certainly looks like that they cheaped out in an attempt to keep the MK4 platform cars still alive :rolleyes:...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
No seat air bags either. Took the seat out to install an armrest and no plug under.

Took advantage of the nice weather and put the arm rest in:

20210311_153208.jpg

Here is what was in place of the cabin filter:

20210311_153151.jpg

It is just a mesh screen. You can see the new one in place behind it.