Back behind the wheel of a TDI

DaveyT

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
After selling my 2010 Jetta back to VW, I finally found a 2003 (my 3rd TDI) and need some help finding the equipment I had done when I had my 2000 Jetta.
The individual who had it before me lowered it and I can't even get my jack under it. Besides finding the OEM springs, I need help finding the skid plate I had put on my 2000 as well. Can anyone point me to a site where I can find everything TDI?

DaveyT

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Cascade German is good too
Thanks, I browsed around and they seem reasonably priced with free shipping on orders above $100.
The guy I bought this 03 Jetta from lowered it and I hate it. Can't get my jack under it and can't drive through a car wash. When winter comes, I'm worried driving on heavily iced roads, possibly doing damage underneath. The Spring set I found was like $170 for all four. It didn't say if they were OEM or not. Do you know if that's all they sell? On the 2000 I had years ago, I bought an evolution atlas skid plate to comfort me while driving. I'm thinking to get one for this 03 as well.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
That set appears to be OEM. You will need to check the the struts. They if they are coilovers, they might be causing a low ride as well. Im not too sure about lowering kits and how they work.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
It's easy enough to destroy the oil pan at stock height, any lower is just asking for trouble (but I know the vortex scene loves to lower). I would consider doing a suspension/steering refresh, as long as you're giving it new love. New springs with old shocks/struts or worn out bushings means you may be back in there soon. If my driving area included more than asphalt roads, I'd consider raising the ride height by an inch with some towing/heavy duty springs. Skid plates are still available, both from vendors and directly from some manufacturers. The Panzer plate from DieselGeek is currently NA, but there are others, including the Atlas Evolution that you mentioned. ECS Tuning also sells a steel version, but you'll have to compare how it mounts (and ECS is not a beloved vendor). The vendors which support Fred's all have lots of spring/suspension kits available, and good alternatives to OEM springs are out there- if buying from a trusted vendor both VW and aftermarket springs should be listed and noted. In addition to IDParts and others, don't forget metalmanparts.com (Marquette Automotive), as Dennis is also a member here and just revamped his website.

DaveyT

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The vendors which support Fred's all have lots of spring/suspension kits available
It's been a few years since coming back to the TDI forum so please forgive me for asking who those trusted vendors are of Fred's. I think I'm going to want to raise it that extra inch above stock height. If anyone else out there has a similar model to mine and has had this kind of work done, advice is appreciated.

DaveyT

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Also, looking at engine oil, I don't remember ever seeing the brand Liqui Moly before. Is this the best oil for my 03 Jetta TDI now?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You may find a skid plate for sale at
Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted
I've had 2 TDIs, a 99.5 J and my current 2003 bug. The owners manual says pretty much any diesel oil meeting some spec (CG?), which includes dyno stuff. But we all like to use full synthetic in these VE engines. I use Rotella T6 5W40, because it's readily available. Liqui Moly makes some excellent oil, high end if you will, as do a few other companies.
Here's a little diddy may not have been here back when- VW TDI Search User contributed Google hack, great resource.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's been a few years since coming back to the TDI forum so please forgive me for asking who those trusted vendors are of Fred's. I think I'm going to want to raise it that extra inch above stock height. If anyone else out there has a similar model to mine and has had this kind of work done, advice is appreciated.
I think they most mentioned above:
IDParts (formerly TDI Parts) is at
Peter is an active member here, and loves to talk suspension and springs:
Cascade German (formerly BoraParts, run by BleachedBora):
Aaron is an active member here:
Marquette Automotive, aka MetalMan parts
Dennis is an active member here, and his website has OEM springs
There are a few vendors which focus on injectors and nozzles, and you probably remember some of those discussions. A search will be best!

Andrew Rodriguez of FixMyVW and Tune My Euro used to be active here, but not present since 2019:
There are some others, and a search will reveal a few other vendors. The guys from KermaTDI and RossTech still visit, and contribute when something peaks their interest. Other people will have more suggestions. RockAuto visits us in order to drop coupons, but don't expect a lively discussion as to the best springs for a TDI, much less substantive Q&A about your particular situation. The best vendors above will provide that.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, looking at engine oil, I don't remember ever seeing the brand Liqui Moly before. Is this the best oil for my 03 Jetta TDI now?
LM is a German company that produces many high-end motor oils and automotive products. Pricey, but high quality. For your 2003 (ALH) there are lots of good choices, and hundreds of hours of fun reading in the threads. Walmart carries Shell Rotella T6 full synth 5W40 for $22 a gallon, which is hard to beat. M1, Shell, Delo, LM, and lots of other good choices out there.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I'm going to want to raise it that extra inch above stock height. If anyone else out there has a similar model to mine and has had this kind of work done, advice is appreciated.
Many of our best MkIV discussions are now in the past, so searches will reveal more (and often better) information than current requests.

Here's a few of the definitive "lift" threads:

DaveyT

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I think they most mentioned above:
IDParts (formerly TDI Parts) is at
Peter is an active member here, and loves to talk suspension and springs:
Cascade German (formerly BoraParts, run by BleachedBora):
Aaron is an active member here:
Marquette Automotive, aka MetalMan parts
Dennis is an active member here, and his website has OEM springs
There are a few vendors which focus on injectors and nozzles, and you probably remember some of those discussions. A search will be best!

Andrew Rodriguez of FixMyVW and Tune My Euro used to be active here, but not present since 2019:
There are some others, and a search will reveal a few other vendors. The guys from KermaTDI and RossTech still visit, and contribute when something peaks their interest. Other people will have more suggestions. RockAuto visits us in order to drop coupons, but don't expect a lively discussion as to the best springs for a TDI, much less substantive Q&A about your particular situation. The best vendors above will provide that.
That's all really helpful information. I think I'll reach out to Peter