**solved for now** High pitched noise while driving

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I noticed I was hearing a high pitched noise something I haven't heard before. Really high frequency similar to a kettle pot.

it happened while driving around 65mph on the backroad. When I added boost it went away or if I let off the throttle it stopped. At idle no noise, city driving no noise. Seems to be at highway speeds.

egr cooler is also deleted using a bypass hose. Turbo is a gtd1756vrk and only has about 2k miles. Recently added a fmic and I can't see any loose connections. It happened during a 2 hour drive and happened around the last 20mins of the drive.

Last edited:

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
okay so I was looking around and I noticed my driver side radiator fan doesn't turn on with a/c on. I spinned the radiator fan by hand and loand behold it made that high pitch noise.

it seems it turns on at highway speeds (was also 93f outside) but makes that high pitch squeal. Will be replacing fan to confirm here

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Could even just remove it temporarily to test if the sound goes away too

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I doubt it would, especially for a quick test drive, these cars don’t run very hot

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
*****SOLVED****
so after replacing radiator fan, it runs when ac is on and after driving in hot weather 96f I did not hear that metal sound even with ac on throughout the drive.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
update...
looks like it's back again. I heard it driving on the freeway. when going downhill on neutral I still heard it so it's not dependent on throttle.
I think the ac condenser fan could be failing too . back to the drawing board.

Brett San Diego

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta wagon manual
Could it be an aerodynamic whistle from some panel gap or other feature of the car exterior? It seems you say it comes on only at highway speeds. One way to try to rule this out is to tape up all the panel gaps and drive it.

Brett

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Could it be an aerodynamic whistle from some panel gap or other feature of the car exterior? It seems you say it comes on only at highway speeds. One way to try to rule this out is to tape up all the panel gaps and drive it.

Brett
its possible, but it would be constant. It intermittently pops up. Sometimes I would hear a few minutes straight and sometimes I don't hear it at all.
Unless the new fan I got for the radiator is a lemon.
I thought it was intake manifold gasket leak, but that would hiss under pressure. I had it before till I changed the gasket. This seems a little odd.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
okay after driving it from San Diego to the central coast. I noticed that when I'm accelerating on a slight left roadway I would hear the high pitch noise. As soon as I turn my wheel the opposite direction it goes away.
I thought it was highway only but noticed it in the city as well.
Also upon entering freeway on the circular entrances I would hear growling.
this brought to my attention that it's the power steering pump. Fluids are normal levels between max and min.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
check your mirror caps. put a piece of tape along the bottom seam where the body color portion mates up with the black textured plastic.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
here's a video of how it sounds (not my video) but it is very similar when driving though. Intermittent