Baby 01M Issues

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
Hello All!
My first post in this amazing forum. I recently picked up a 2002 NB ALH TDI cursed with an 01m from Orillia VW (great place) in Orillia, Ontario. Before i get scolded for buying a 01m after coming from a 5spd jetta. I found this lovely one owner NB with ONLY 30,900 ORIGINAL KILOMETERS. I couldnt believe my eyes when i found this and picked it up the day i test drove it and have put over 9500km on it since June 2014.
I am aware the 01m does not last as long as most people would like and i bought the car expecting this, but what i was not expecting were the typical issues already... is something wrong or are they just like this? I am experiencing a 2-3 flare on the first shift after the car has been sitting for more than an hour (summer temps) I have also noticed, while the car is quick and tight going into reverse warm and cold, when its warm, it is dreadfully slow going into drive compare to what i am used to. Sometimes it takes close to 4 seconds, unless i touch the pedal and it jumps slightly into gear and takes off. No fluxuation in 4th on hwy or anything and feels just as good as an 01m could in regular driving. just did a 3000km round trip and it was lovely all the way.
Any ideas whats gong on and why the trans is behaving like this with only 40,500 original kilometers on it? Especially considering the original owner was an 80 year old war vet and his equally ancient wife, they really couldnt have driven it that hard could they?? :confused:
Any help you guys have any ideas??, especially CoolAirVw ?? Thanks for reading everyone and thanks to all who maintain and post in this forum. Such an amazing tool. look forward to contributing.
Thanks in advance, Mike. FreshOntarioBeetle

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
Is there anybody in the georgian bay/ mid ontario maybe even northern gta area that has vcds? im a college student with limited funds and cannot buy on my own... perhaps Total Mechanical Services in Orangeville?? Thank you for your input Jesus Is Lord! all is appreciated

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
Thanks Tdijarhead..

CoolAirVw's website ws very helpful and will try changing the fluid in the next few thousand kms. Trans played weird games too now that ive made a post about it. Sat at school today in 30 degree heat for 3 hours. Started up and drove off, first 2-3 shift i expected a flare, but instead got an extremely quick and sort of hard shift! Was even quick going into drive twice today compared to the almost always slow engage.. maybe im worrying about nothing? Or maybe it heard me talk about it? :eek: :D

Also... that amount of mileage on an 01m is quite amazing, stunning, and admirable... not sure how you did it. Whether it be maintenance or just luck. But just, wow... makes me worry less compared to my 25,000mi.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Luck, I started having some surging issues about 2000 miles ago so I changed the fluid per coolairvw's procedure and it helped tremendously. I have to pull the transmission to change out the rear main seal and I'm going to do another filter/fluid change at that time.

I think if you change the fluid and then set yourself up on a 20-30 thousand mile change interval, you might just get some decent miles and longevity out of it. Or not??

By the way welcome to the forum.