B7 Audi A4 BHW swap

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Remind what the 01A is. 5 speed quattro?

binsr

TDI
'12 Golf TDI DSG; bhw waiting for a new home
That would be a nice swap😁

I have a few questions about the 01e. I’m currently driving a BHW swapped 1998 a4 with a 01a ( the rpm’s are obviously way too high ) and was wondering what does it take to swap a 01e or a 02x? Does a person need different mounts and shafts or is it pretty much plug and play?
It should be plug and play. The 01e came with 2.5l Audis in Europe. Just hard to get one these days.
I ordered one on eBay and the seller canceled it because they’ve been having issues with customs. Hence they stopped selling / shipping bigger items from Europe to the states…

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Nice. I have yet to buy the B7, so I could opt out. I grew up in Easter Europe and owned two B5 gen Passats. I’m very familiar with the platform and always loved it. I have this BHW in the wagon sitting waiting for a new home. Planning on selling the auto in it -ZF 5hl-19 transmission (fully redone prior to me buying the car).
This is a fun project for me but trying to be frugal. I’m giving my mint mk6 CJAA to my dad since we’re getting an suv. I’ll then mostly drive my wife’s ‘20 Golf 1.4T gasser for daily errands and work - the thing gets 40 mpg with regular but no pep. I also have a 05 Tahoe hence why decided not to swap the bhw into a truck.
Anyways, waiting for a good deal. The plan was some sort of manual b5.5 awd platform with an 01e but it’s so much easier to find a cheap B7 manual with a dead 2.0. Any advice I’m all ears. Need a diesel in my life :)
If you need a diesel in your life I am selling my 2010 Tiguan TDI with 6 speed manual. PM if interested

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it’s a 5 speed Quattro
So going to 01E would require different mounts, driveshaft and shifter. Possibly different rear diff depending on what ratio the 01E has.
Going to 02X requires fabricated rear mount, shorter driveshaft, and shifter. Same issue on rear diff too

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
That would be a nice swap😁

I have a few questions about the 01e. I’m currently driving a BHW swapped 1998 a4 with a 01a ( the rpm’s are obviously way too high ) and was wondering what does it take to swap a 01e or a 02x? Does a person need different mounts and shafts or is it pretty much plug and play?
Probably the easiest solution is just to get a euro 01A with diesel gearing. Compared to a diesel 01E you'll probably get around the same fuel economy but with one less gear. No 01Es sold in North America have diesel-friendly gearing.

Euro 01E to a B5 A4 would involve swapping to a 01E shifter assembly, you'd need 01E mount brackets, B5 S4 front axles, B5 S4 (or Euro 01E A4) driveshaft, and possibly a B5 A4 matching rear diff depending on the final drive ratio.

02X into a B5 A4 is pretty similar but you can source the GVE transmission in North America. Supporting parts include custom mount brackets or an aftermarket swap crossmember (if available?), shifter assembly, B5 A4 auto driveshaft, B5 A4 auto rear diff (3.889 ratio), B6/7 manual axles, and V6 or facelift B5 A4 front knuckles/bearings. 02X also lacks a speed sensor but there are multiple ways around that.

I love the 02X in my diesel Allroad, but it was a bit easier to adapt to that chassis because I was able to reuse the B6/7 crossmember, which won't fit a B5 floor pan. It's a very smooth transmission.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I definitely agree that the 01X and 02X gearboxes are super smooth. Out of the 012, 01E and the 01X/02X the latter has been the best for smoothness. Really happy with them

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
Be aware the B7 chassis takes a lot more work to adapt to BHW than the earlier chassis. The modules in the B7 don't play as nice. This per QuickTD who took down all his posts, but i still have some saved emails from him.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Be aware the B7 chassis takes a lot more work to adapt to BHW than the earlier chassis. The modules in the B7 don't play as nice. This per QuickTD who took down all his posts, but i still have some saved emails from him.
This is not correct. Source a BPW harness and accessory drive bracket from Europe and it is plug and play. I have done it.

Last edited:
TDI
BHW
Good to know, I’ll see about finding a 01a diesel.

The 01a gear ratios are difficult to pin point as some of the tranny codes aren’t easy to find online. They vary between a fifth gear ratio of 0.838 or 0.739

Man I find the 01a to be very smooth as far as shifting goes, can’t imagine what a 02x would be like😉

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
This is not correct. Source a BPW harness and accessory drive bracket from Europe and it is plug and play. I have done it.
Ah, perhaps it was he was trying to put a bpw harness and ecu in his B6. I believe that was what he was doing.