B7 Audi A4 BHW swap

Jessematz93

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2006 Audi A4 BHW swap slowly in progress, 2002 Ram Cummins with 700hp
I'm starting a build thread for my a4 tdi swap for question and info! And I'll post pictures along the way if I can.

I bought a 2006 Audi A4 Avant 6 speed with a dead 2.0t in it. I had already picked up a 2005 Passat tdi that has a rough body so it'll be my BHW doner. I plan to do the balance shaft module delete and timing kit on it while it's out, as well as check the cam for wear as it has 350,000 kilometers on it.

I have a list of parts to get from Europe to make the swap easier, but now to source them! Does anyone know what connections to get European Audi tdi parts on the forum?

It's not going to be a rushed swap, I wanna do it right the first time! Excited to get started on it.

I'm not new to the diesel world but I'm am pretty new to the VW/Audi world.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI
I'm starting a build thread for my a4 tdi swap for question and info! And I'll post pictures along the way if I can.

I bought a 2006 Audi A4 Avant 6 speed with a dead 2.0t in it. I had already picked up a 2005 Passat tdi that has a rough body so it'll be my BHW doner. I plan to do the balance shaft module delete and timing kit on it while it's out, as well as check the cam for wear as it has 350,000 kilometers on it.

I have a list of parts to get from Europe to make the swap easier, but now to source them! Does anyone know what connections to get European Audi tdi parts on the forum?

It's not going to be a rushed swap, I wanna do it right the first time! Excited to get started on it.

I'm not new to the diesel world but I'm am pretty new to the VW/Audi world.
I know that swap has been done quite a few times. I want to follow for progress.
As far as for euro tdi parts, there is Dutch Auto parts, you can look in the vendor section and find their info.

Jessematz93

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2006 Audi A4 BHW swap slowly in progress, 2002 Ram Cummins with 700hp
I know that swap has been done quite a few times. I want to follow for progress.
As far as for euro tdi parts, there is Dutch Auto parts, you can look in the vendor section and find their info.
Thanks for the info. I sent them an email now.

On a side note, I was going to upload pictures of what I'm starting with but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Jessematz93

TDI

Here's the a4 I'm starting with.

Front end was already pulled apart and in the back of the car.

The Doner Passat. Someone previously 5 speed swapped the car so I'll sell the full 5 speed swap to help pay for the car.

Jessematz93

TDI
Does anyone know if a RHD engine wiring harness will work in a LHD? @QuickTD

QuickTD

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Audi A4Q 5spd 2.0 TDI 2056VK R783, 2006 Audi A4Q 6spd 2.0 TDI, 2007 A4Q 6spd 2.0 TDI
Plug in and run? Yes. Look good or keep the water out of the ECU box? Probably not. You may be able to loop it around a couple times in the rain tray to take up the slack, but the boot isn't likely to fit the ECU box properly. Its on the opposite side on a RHD car, but the harness enters the rain tray on the same side as a LHD. Take a look at the pictures in the ebay ads, the whole answer is right there.

I've made brief attempts with a B8 RHD harness. It was not going to happen to my satisfaction, your standards may vary.

V70R

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I’d say find your ideal LHD harness so there’s less harness modifications you need to do. 8E1 refers to LHD, 8E2 is RHD. If you need help finding a harness PM me, I’ve got a good friend locally who has been finding all my Exeo CAHA stuff for my A4.

Jessematz93

TDI
I’d say find your ideal LHD harness so there’s less harness modifications you need to do. 8E1 refers to LHD, 8E2 is RHD. If you need help finding a harness PM me, I’ve got a good friend locally who has been finding all my Exeo CAHA stuff for my A4.
That would be an awesome help. I sent you a message @V70R

86turbodsl

TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
Another vote for Dutch Auto Parts. Frans will get you the parts you want quick and reasonable. He got me a TDI 01E very quickly.

Jessematz93

TDI
Another question I had is about swapping gauge clusters. I've found quite a few b7 a4 tdi gauge clusters on ebay that are in kms/hr as well. Would be nice to keep the factory look with the proper rpm gauge and red line. I've done a bit of searching and it doesn't look too hopefully but I was wondering if anyone here has done it successfully?

QuickTD

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Audi A4Q 5spd 2.0 TDI 2056VK R783, 2006 Audi A4Q 6spd 2.0 TDI, 2007 A4Q 6spd 2.0 TDI
Do not try to swap the cluster, unless you want a car that doesn't run. Just swap the instrument faces and rescale the tach.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Another question I had is about swapping gauge clusters. I've found quite a few b7 a4 tdi gauge clusters on ebay that are in kms/hr as well. Would be nice to keep the factory look with the proper rpm gauge and red line. I've done a bit of searching and it doesn't look too hopefully but I was wondering if anyone here has done it successfully?
I have done this to few CANADA guys, As a matter of fact just did one for guy in Quebec .
Only way to do this is to properly is to buy TDI cluster and Program original data to it .
Other thing is , I know all those guys they flash ECU to AUDI TDI Sw .

If you interested you can send me message or Email me.

QuickTD

Veteran Member
TDI
Not possible to do that because RMP scale is not same , So it will be way off. Plus Glow plug light will not work , and ECU will set code for GP.
With all due respect, you are wrong. I have done it at least 10 times. EPC light acts as glow plug light and the diesel gauge face places the glow indicator over the EPC lamp location. I change bit 0330 from A0 to 78 to correct the tachometer span using vag eeprom programmer. The tach calibration lies outside the encrypted and checksummed area so it is no problem, even with chinese tools. This works on RB4 (B6) and RB8 (B7) clusters.

For reasons I can't explain, I have never been able to match the european immo to the north american car, even with all of the pin data. I'm guessing it could be done if the key/immo data could be written directly, but they won't pair by conventional means. I bricked a couple clusters (but recovered them with encrypted dumps) and finally gave up. I'm thinking AVDI could do it, but I don't have that kind of cash.

I use euro B7 tdi ECU's in all of my swaps. The passat ECU does not have the hardware to operate the cooling fan or cruise control. You can flash audi software to a passat ECU and it may run, but no fans or cruise.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
With all due respect, you are wrong. I have done it at least 10 times. EPC light acts as glow plug light and the diesel gauge face places the glow indicator over the EPC lamp location. I change bit 0330 from A0 to 78 to correct the tachometer span using vag eeprom programmer. The tach calibration lies outside the encrypted and checksummed area so it is no problem, even with chinese tools. This works on RB4 (B6) and RB8 (B7) clusters.
I was talking about pure Factory cluster , Of course if do modifications , then it will work.

For reasons I can't explain, I have never been able to match the european immo to the north american car, even with all of the pin data. I'm guessing it could be done if the key/immo data could be written directly, but they won't pair by conventional means. I bricked a couple clusters (but recovered them with encrypted dumps) and finally gave up. I'm thinking AVDI could do it, but I don't have that kind of cash.
You are not able to program it B7 cluster with tool you are using because it is Immo 4 ,this requiring much better tool and need to know what to do , and you have to get B7 Euro cluster to be able to match key .

I use euro B7 tdi ECU's in all of my swaps. The passat ECU does not have the hardware to operate the cooling fan or cruise control. You can flash audi software to a passat ECU and it may run, but no fans or cruise.
Well you need to know what to do to make it work, it is possible , I know many people that has done this .Passt ECU and Audi Euro ECU has same HW, so they are interchangeable.

QuickTD

Veteran Member
TDI
I was talking about pure Factory cluster , Of course if do modifications , then it will work.
And that is what I do. Make it work.

You are not able to program it B7 cluster with tool you are using because it is Immo 4 ,this requiring much better tool and need to know what to do , and you have to get B7 Euro cluster to be able to match key.
That was my assumption, that they are different immo versions, and cannot be made to work. So I delete the immo, swap the faces and have a working car.

Well you need to know what to do to make it work, it is possible , I know many people that has done this .Passt ECU and Audi Euro ECU has same HW, so they are interchangeable.
I have tried it every way. They are not the same hardware, the hardware numbers are different. If you solder the additional components on the board, it is possible, but for a $30 ECU, it is not worth it.