B5V wrecked, sad to be TDI-less!

hgeittmann

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I've mostly lurked here for the last few years, had a B4V that I sold back in '08 and the B5 was my daily since my daughter was born in '07. Got t-boned by a kid who ran a red light at 70mph on Dec. 18th. Luckily no one was in the front passenger seat. My son broke his leg, I broke a few ribs and bruised just about everything else, and my daughter escaped with just a few scrapes. Anyway, the Passat did it's job and kept us all alive, and for that I'm truly thankful. Bones will heal and things can be replaced.

So now the questions, mainly what sort of compensation is reasonable to accept from the insurance company. Is KBB private sale reasonable, or is that optimistic?

I have a few things I no longer need now... like a Phatbox player, a Kerma Q-Loader, and Ross-tech USB interface, a tdiparts brake set that I never got around to installing... is it worth trying to sell these sorts of things?

Here's the carnage:

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
Holy crap! Glad you are OK and the Passat did all it could to protect you.

Perhaps you can buy some clean underwear with the proceeds from the sale of parts?

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Sorry to hear about and see the loss of your car. Thankfully the injuries were not worse. My wife's first cousin was killed in a head on accident in his TDI Jetta on the 15th of December. It involved a large truck and there wasn't a chance. His wife and daughter were seriously injured as well.

That being said, you should try to get at least KBB full retail value for the car. I see these cars bringing more than private party value at the dealer auctions so full retail shouldn't be hard to justify. If you had done any significant upgrades such as BSM, recent transmission work, or other significant repairs than you should alert the insurance company to this and ask for extra compensation.

The main thing to remember is not to settle too quickly or at the first offer. The insurance companies are in the business of trying to turn a profit and they will usuall attempt to squeeze you as tight as they can without triggering a countersuit.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
Geez, I'm really sorry about your loss hgeittmann. Fortunately, as you say, it is a car, and they can be replaced and / or repaired. I'm glad that your family is okay, but I'm sad to see another B5.5 TDI taken out of circulation.

Mountain-valleymotors, my sincere condolences on your loss as well.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Very sorry for your loss, but very glad everyone is ok.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
the fact that you survived that blast is a testament to the build structure of these b5.5's. a riceburner would probably broken in half, doing all of you in. depending on the ins co, you may find that they'll treat you ok. it will depend on the adjuster as well. Here in Pennsylvania, adjusters have options at to determining the acv, one of which is the dealer quote. that method uses the average of three quotes for a replacement vehicle of like kind and quality. this method gives you, including sales tax, the money to replace what you have lost. the insurance company for the bozo that hit you most likely will not be too chintzy, as they will be paying out a lot more on this claim I'm sure.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
OMFG! It is amazing that your injuries were not much worse. Here's to a speedy recovery for you and yours.

I'd keep the parts and be on the lookout for another B5.5.

whitevanman

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 110 afn
Wow that is really bad! Glad to hear everyones ok. Anything else like a ford etc wouldent stand a chance. Goes to show vw build quality and structure better than many.

Depending on what you get offered, your engine,gearbox and all the stuff on the other side could be worth more than what your offered!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
What Vag-Com do you have? If it has CAN you might want to keep it if you ever plan to get another VW. Or you could sell it to me :cool:

What was the other driver driving? Glad you all made out out mostly unhurt :S

-J

hgeittmann

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Thanks for all the kind words and good wishes. I tell myself many times per day it could've been worse... had the impact been a matter of inches further back and I can't even bear to think what would've happened to my son (he's the crying kid I use for my profile picture... that was from 7 years ago). It is reassuring to know the B5's are structurally solid and built to protect those inside.

It was a Subaru Impreza that hit me. I'm glad it wasn't a big SUV. One passenger in the other car wasn't wearing a seatbelt and I haven't heard what happened to him, other than it was serious, the other 3 walked away.

Thanks for the advice regarding the insurance company. The best advice I've gotten for handling a lowball offer is to reply "no, try again". I'm still waiting to get their first number, hoping that they are reasonable to deal with.

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Passat GLS 95' Merc E300D
Subie drivers around here are pretty bad. I have seen some pretty bad moves by them after the recent snow. One guy was in the left turn lane with one car in front of him. When the green arrow lit up, the car in front started the turn and the Subie driver passed them on the left while making the turn.

If you are going to pass the vagcom on, I would be interested.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
it shouldn't be har to squeeze the ins company's nuts as this will be a big claim

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Your family came out in good shape, you are fine and that is such a gift that I cannot truly express how wonderfull that is. As you said, they will heal.

Kudos to the Passat. We will mourn its passing, but like it gave its life in a worthy cause.

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned and loved a 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon - Stonehenge Grey and Unchained!
WOW, I'm amazed the injuries were (relatively) minor compared to what they could have been. Blessings to you and your children for a speedy and full recovery.

I have pretty much an identical Passat to yours, same color too, and I drive about 600 miles commuting every week. (I hate my commute, but I love the car!)

I think about how my Passat would perform in an accident. How did you think the airbags performed? Did the airbags in the front seatbacks deploy? It's hard to tell from the photos. I'm amazed at how far the front seats moved as a result of the impact.

Hope 2012 brings much better things to your life. Rest up, and feel better soon!

Moose

hgeittmann

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I think only the driver, passenger, and passenger side curtains deployed. The state patrolman said the side curtain protected my son from lots of debris coming of the other car. The underside of the car just buckled and folded, which moved the front seats. I guess that is how the frame absorbs side-impact energy?

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
The extent of your loss, (property damage and bodily injury,) is way too significant for you to successfully manage this on your own.

I suggest you seek competent legal counsel, (someone specializing in personal injury losses,) as there are many blind spots regarding the proper compensation for these types of losses that the everyday person is unaware of.

(I do not know what the statute of limitations are for you in your state, but they will apply and you need to have this information as a minimum.)

Good luck with your and your families recoveries...property, physical, mental and emotional.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
The extent of your loss, (property damage and bodily injury,) is way too significant for you to successfully manage this on your own.

I suggest you seek competent legal counsel, (someone specializing in personal injury losses,) as there are many blind spots regarding the proper compensation for these types of losses that the everyday person is unaware of.

(I do not know what the statute of limitations are for you in your state, but they will apply and you need to have this information as a minimum.)

Good luck with your and your families recoveries...property, physical, mental and emotional.
I absolutely agree here. Good luck.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
wow, that was a lot of energy in that impact. Glad all are ok.......

I fixed crashed cars back in the early 80s, fixed a Nissan 200sx that looked similar to that. It is fixable, just pull it back out to match spec location pins then cut out the bits that didn't straighten well enough. Find a car with all that good on the right side and cut it out then install it in your body. Those air bags add a lot more to the repair costs than we had back then which makes the repair cost so much more..........

In Colorado you really have to get everything down on the record as soon as possible after the crash if you are going to fight what you are offered.

I was offered ~$4k for damage to my 85 Jetta in 98 after if was rear ended. I made the mistake of waiting too long to depose witnesses and their memory's had faded. It took ~3 years to get it settled and I ended up with ~$10k but after the lawyers took their part I got $500 more than the original offer, $4,500. Colorado is not a good state to fight this battle because of how the tort laws are set up......

You can handle this armed with proper knowledge of what your rights actually are so Never take their first few offers.........

good luck

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
With respect to insurance, I would not worry so much as to what the car will be paid out, but, more importantly, what long term medical issues may be and cost.

Pain and suffering is one thing, but physical therapy and lengthy rehabilitation (if necessary) is way more costly than a car.

One thing to NEVER do is sign a medical release as part of a settlement for claims. This is why you should consult an attorney specializing in accident/injury claims.

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned and loved a 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon - Stonehenge Grey and Unchained!
A lot of good info above about getting representation for your loss, injuries and appropriate compensation. If you don't have a lawyer, contact your local Bar Association and ask for a free consultation with one of their recommended lawyers. If you don't agree/connect with the lawyer you talk with, try again.

Again, glad your injuries were relatively minor and fully recoverable. Let's hope 2012 is better!

Moose

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
I think only the driver, passenger, and passenger side curtains deployed. The state patrolman said the side curtain protected my son from lots of debris coming of the other car. The underside of the car just buckled and folded, which moved the front seats. I guess that is how the frame absorbs side-impact energy?

How are you progressing with the property damage claim and your injuries?

Quite a price to pay for the rest of us, but it is comforting to see that the car absorbed the impact without extensive injury or even death to the occupants.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Leica is right. the property damage part is the small issue.. by now I would assume you are represented and may be looking at perhaps a new treg or mb wagon as a replacement for your loss. hopefully you and your family will recover fully quickly.