B5 Passat ATF Black at 170k mi... next steps?

k.k

TDI
2005 Passat TDI wagon
I recently went through and gave my 2005 Passat (I've only owned it one year) the necessary upgrades to keep it going. In retrospect I should have maybe given the transmission oil a look before I dove in so deep. I replaced camshaft and company, installed balance shaft delete, and timing belt, etc. In the process I discovered that the ATF is not looking good at all. Its black and a little glittery. I know I should replace the torque converter and fluid ASAP, but I am wondering if it is worth the gamble of money and time if the tranny is already on the way out? Any other recommendations or routes to explore? thanks!

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
These transmissions do not do well if neglected. If by "glittery" you mean metal, you have a problem and the filter was probably never changed and is clogged.
At a minimum drop the pan, change the filter, and put in the proper amount of proper spec ATF. Once it fails, you are looking at $$$ no matter which route you go. If you want to own car for the long term and lots of miles consider a manual swap.

k.k

TDI
2005 Passat TDI wagon
Yeah definitely metal flakes floating around. It seems likely the fluid and filter have never been replaced.

In your opinion, based on the fact there is obvious signs of wear in the fluid alone, would replacing the Trorque converter at this point seem like a waste of money?

Yeah I've been looking into the manual swap. Do you know what the approximate cost is for the manual swap parts? thanks!

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
most likely is the bushing for the oil pump,sooner or later is going to push the front pump seal out...a very common failure in bmws that use the same tranny,fix was to replace the pressure regulator valve and torque converter...

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
RE: manual swap, check out Dutch Auto Parts in the Netherlands for a complete set of parts for a manual swap, pricing should be available online or from a phone call. Labor, not sure but probably a couple of grand, talk to Matt at Zahntech in Redmond for an estimate. He was willing to do the job for me when I had my '05 if I supplied everything and has done several manual swaps in VWs before. You will also need a tune and you have to add that in.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
FWIW, it is normal for the ATF to get black, especially the first go around. If it has never been changed, even moreso.

Mine was black at 60k, I flushed it (per ZF recommendations), and at 120k it was not nearly as dark, at 180k it was about the same as it was at 120k. 220k now, still working perfectly. Pan has never been off although I think I may go ahead and do the filter next time.