B5.5's Day of Glory!

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
12:30 pm, 1 July: A 2005 B5.5 Passat TDI traveled 261.9 miles in almost all interstate driving and consumed 5.216 gallons of BP Supreme diesel for a fuel economy of FIFTY POINT TWO (50.2) miles per gallon!:eek: Whenever possible, the cruise control was set at 2000 rpm for an actual speed of 63 miles an hour (vs. 65 indicated on the speedometer). Since the previous run, under similar temperature circumstances, yielded 47 miles per gallon, it APPEARS that the ELF Evolution CRV oil may have made a difference of from 5-6% in increased fuel economy. TOOT, TOOT! ALL ABOARD THE PASSAT EXPRESS! NEXT STOP, 55 MILES PER GALLON!:rolleyes:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
What was the mpg indicated by the MFD? In other words, how much off was it? And what was the combined reading of the trip odometer and the distance to empty reading (the most I've ever seen on mine was around 750).

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
tomo366 said:
Jack.........
You seriously need to get yourself a life.......
His behavior seems perfectly normal to me....

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Observations

The computer said 50.6 when I pulled into the station to refuel. I think for a brief period it was saying the "total" distance would be about 900 miles! Going up to Scranton, it read approx. 48.9 , on the way back down, like 52.4. This shows the effect of a LONG climb into the mountains over 130 miles, and the bonus of a long downhill drive. When I left Scranton, I thought I had failed...TO TOMO: the reason I don't have a life is because everytime a girlfriend says "either the diesels go or I go" I reply "gee honey, I'm really gonna miss YOU.":eek:

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
You should have let us know you were going to Scranton ;) I have noticed the same thing in the past. It's mostly confined to the Allentown to Scranton section....from Allentown to Philly it's mostly flat.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
BRUSSELS BELGIAN said:
the reason I don't have a life is because everytime a girlfriend says "either the diesels go or I go" I reply "gee honey, I'm really gonna miss YOU.":eek:
Didn't your mama teach you to share?

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Sharing is Caring!

Hey LUG NUT: Speaking of "sharing," if you REALLY want to get 90 miles per gallon, you can just "share" some of your CASH and buy my B4 at th GTG in Philadelphia this year. ONE STOP SHOPPING!:eek: