B5.5 Transmission R&R Procedure - Can anyone point me to one?

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Yes I searched here high and low, Google too.

Not a newbie mechanic by any means. Just older and wise enough now to know to study a new project before jumping in. I have a full compliment of tools including all the usual VAG specialty ones and have done pretty much everything on the transverse engine TDIs over the years. Yes, I mean everything.

I need to drop the autotragic out of my B5.5 and have not tackled that specific job on that chassis before. Anyone able to point me to a procedure? If no online R&R instruction exists, I would at least appreciate warning of any extraordinary tool (beyond the VAG basics) needs, pitfalls (or shortcuts) to avoid, or just good old fashioned general tips to make the job go smoother.

Thanks in advance...

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
When you tackling this? Luke has done it a few times now. No way a pro like Whitbread. He did it in the car the first time, and found it easier to pull the motor the 2nd, and 3rd times.

A5INKY

TDI
Uuuugh. Damn it Clint, that is not what I wanted to hear.:p

Oilhammer says 7 hours book time, think he said he does it in 5ish. No lift in my current workspace so I am sure it will be all day each way. Years spent with both 2 and 4 post lifts in my shop has me despising rolling around on a creeper. I need to get busy again finding a taller workspace...

BTW, will probably tackle this Sunday. I need to get this thing done and sold, tired of paying insurance on it.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Yeah, Luke's is still sitting in his driveway un-repaired. He decided to O1E swap it I think before selling after all his bad luck.

Oilhammer has done it a lot, and has a lift.

Make sure you get the car really really high. Also need a trans jack.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Did you check my site? Full DIY on engine+tran removal, you should be able to figure it out for just tran removal, you just have to be a member.

A5INKY

TDI
Thanks, I had looked there already but not thought to consider pulling the engine and trans as a unit. Nash's brother ended up going that way, but still seems that most don't and drop it out the bottom as usual. But then again, I have put the front clip in the service position before and it didn't take long, pulling it completely might not be too bad. Maybe it will be easier to pull the whole mess...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You may want to change the coolant hose elbow on the back of the head when you have the transmission out. They frequently leak and are a pain to change when its all back together.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
So how did it go?

We ended up pulling an Audi 4.2 v8 and trans at a junk yard yesterday. lol

A5INKY

TDI
Postponed, again. I swear, somehow I make time to work on everyone else's car but my own. Am going to try getting it to the car wash and cleaned up in the next couple days. Then I might put up in the air and start wrenching on it later this week.

If I can get the job started and the car disabled in the shop, that will help block out any other projects and I should be able to get it done.

A5INKY

TDI
Dropped the transaxle out the bottom in about 3.5 hours thanks to the very helpful write-ups here. Special thanks to Oilhammer, MoGolf and turtle1026; between these three found all the info I needed to make the job go smooth as butter.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Nice job! Pretty impressive time frame.

Luke and I did a clutch in an Audi A4 quattro Saturday. It was super fun. Not as beastly as that. But had to remove all of the exhaust and drive-shaft.