B5.5 transmission flush: dump and fill or machine flush

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm nearing my 240k mile service, which will be timing belt, transmission service, etc. I have access to a BG transmission flushing machine, but I wanted to know from people who have done more on these cars, whether it would be better to do the BG flush with BG chemicals, or should I use some other chemicals/or no flush chemicals? Or would it be better to do a dump and fill?
Thanks!

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
With that many miles on the transmission I think the conventional wisdom would be to not do a complete flush but rather a drain and fill, which is what I would do. Was the transmission serviced routinely on schedule before now? Reasonable minds differ on this topic and I am not sure that there is a clear answer.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
With that many miles on the transmission I think the conventional wisdom would be to not do a complete flush but rather a drain and fill, which is what I would do. Was the transmission serviced routinely on schedule before now? Reasonable minds differ on this topic and I am not sure that there is a clear answer.
I do not know about before last time, it was serviced about 60 k miles ago with the dump and fill method. I know I have heard the "conventional wisdom" but I also know that hardly ever applies to newer vehicles or volkswagens, since the conventional wisdom also states that ypu should not change your transmission filter, but I am going to do that.
Maybe it would be a good idea to upgrade the torque converter at the same time... @oilhammer I am curious as to your opinion on this as well.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
How do you upgrade a torque convertor?
If t is not broke-----

97caron

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
Ericcson does excellent TC rebuild and upgrade for the GMR trans. They do turn around in two days. IlRC $300. Then you have complete fluild change. I replaced front pump at same time as snoot was galled and created pump seal leak.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Ericcson does excellent TC rebuild and upgrade for the GMR trans. They do turn around in two days. IlRC $300. Then you have complete fluild change. I replaced front pump at same time as snoot was galled and created pump seal leak.
Yup that's the price I got from Frank, which is an Ericcson converter.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I've replaced two TC's on a GMR and I don't think I would want go through the process of replacing the TC if it's still OK... but that's just me.

Regarding the trans flush, I would flush it. But I wouldn't use any cleaners or additives. Just straight fluid. The drain and fill in my opinion just doesn't get all the old oil out and that's where I think issues arise when new fluid is diluted with dirty fluid.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I've got a torque converter going to be coming soon, my main reason for doing that is that the oem one is the weak link in the transmission, being that they used a weak seal, and then when that goes out, it'll often take the transmission out with it. Being that my car has 240k miles on it, I figure it's time to do it proactively.