B5.5 tcm programming?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I couldn't find any actual info on this anywhere...
I have been playing with module programming with my vws, and I got to thinking, I have a gasser passat tcm from parting one out, and it's in perfect condition, but I've found that the tdi ones are a bit harder to find. Possibly because almost all of the tdis had a sunroof...
Has anyone figured out how to program the tcm from a gasser to a tdi? I mean, I'm sure it can be done, but how? I have a few auto tdi passats and my thought is to grab the file from one of them and flash it into the gasser tcm. I just got a mppsv18 cable and have vcds and kw1281test.
I will also post in other places.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
TCM? Transmission control module? Why would sunroof, or not, make a difference in availability? Didn't all US market B5.5 have a sunroof as standard?
The more common water damage source for B5.5 TCM was a drainage back-up of water at the fresh air intake drain located in the windshield cowl area. That is also common to both gasoline and diesel powered B5.5.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
TCM? Transmission control module? Why would sunroof, or not, make a difference in availability? Didn't all US market B5.5 have a sunroof as standard?
The more common water damage source for B5.5 TCM was a drainage back-up of water at the fresh air intake drain located in the windshield cowl area. That is also common to both gasoline and diesel powered B5.5.
Yes, the transmission control module.
I believe one of the main reasons the tdi one is harder to find is there weren't as many of them made, and they were often fixed unlike the gasser which got scrapped or parted out. Either way, buying a tcm for a tdi passat is a lot more expensive than one for a gasser.
Both models had sunroof models, but I've only seen one tdi passat without a sunroof.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
GL trim B5.5s had no sunroof. Those are rare, and since the TDI engine is rarer than two of the three gasoline engines available, it stands to reason that there are not a lot of GL TDIs. But they did make and sell some, I've had a few through here. They also have steel wheels and no fog lamps.

I looked into TCM reprogramming when I was contemplating putting a BHW into my AWM+4Mo car, and could not find anyone that did so. I got pretty close with some Porsche guys (the Boxster uses the same ZF transmission), but once they realized I was asking about a Volkswagen, they did what Porsche owners/enthusiasts do best, and turned so snooty as to no longer want to talk.... but there is someone that does.

The gear ratios and shift mapping is all different.

And neglected cowl drains, which have nothing to do with sunroofs, will cause more water problems on floorboards of B5s than anything.