B5.5 Starter for Manual Conversion? Need Part Number

elove

TDI
2005 Passat
Hi all - first time posting on here. I have a 2005 Passat. Did manual conversion a few years ago. Got the transmission from Franz. The starter has crapped on me. Anyone know what part number is for the starter I need? I'd like to get the replacement starter before I pull the one that's on there.

Thanks in advance.

stefhelm

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Should just be 068911024G. I didn't change my starter when I changed my transmission. I did just have to buy a starter a few weeks ago though... That whole fiasco is on one of my other posts. :)

elove

TDI
2005 Passat
Thank you for the info on the part # and also the reference to your thread.

I got under the car this morning. That top bolt on the starter is no joke. I can't seem to get it to budge. I have a u-joint on the socket and long extension. If I remove the axle will I be able to get a better angle on that bolt?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
They're not fun to get to. I would make sure that it is the issue though, as they don't commonly fail, but they can.
I can get you a new Valeo one (OEM manufacturer) for a pretty decent price (right around $200 plus shipping) and next day shipping would be $20, or ground would be $15

elove

TDI
2005 Passat
thanks. Is there a way to test it before removal? I see from the link Stef posted that you can test it...but I'm not sure I can get my hand in there. Going to try that after work today...since I'd hate to replace it and still have to pop start the car!

stefhelm

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Feedback I got from several guys with my issue was also that failure is quite uncommon. Mine was actually just not spinning fast enough, it was not totally dead.
What is it doing/not doing? Nothing at all when key is turned?

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
thanks. Is there a way to test it before removal? I see from the link Stef posted that you can test it...but I'm not sure I can get my hand in there. Going to try that after work today...since I'd hate to replace it and still have to pop start the car!
It would depend on what the failure is, whether it's just not doing anything, or if it's cranking slow. Basically, make sure there is good power and ground to the starter, and verify that the starter activation wire is providing at least 12 volts when the key is turned to the start position. If all of those check out, it's most likely the starter.

elove

TDI
2005 Passat
Okay....thanks. I'll check that out. The other day while out running errands, I got in the car at the grocery store and nothing. Battery has full charge. I pop started it in the parking lot, let it run for an hour, then shut it off, and still nothing...won't turn over, no noise at all from the starter. I'll get my wife to turn the key for me while I test the starter activation wire.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Okay....thanks. I'll check that out. The other day while out running errands, I got in the car at the grocery store and nothing. Battery has full charge. I pop started it in the parking lot, let it run for an hour, then shut it off, and still nothing...won't turn over, no noise at all from the starter. I'll get my wife to turn the key for me while I test the starter activation wire.
Ok, could be the starter, but I'd check to see if there's power down there. Generally when these ones fail, they'll kinda gradually fail.. It's possible for them to fail quickly, but not normal.

elove

TDI
2005 Passat
Update - the wire on on the starter solenoid came loose. Put it back on and she's good as new. Now I just have to figure out why that wire came off so that it doesn't happen again. Appreciate the help on this.

stefhelm

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
there is supposed to be a little lock tab on one side. A squeeze to release deal.. Is that still there?

If not, might have to come up with something clever to hold it on.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Update - the wire on on the starter solenoid came loose. Put it back on and she's good as new. Now I just have to figure out why that wire came off so that it doesn't happen again. Appreciate the help on this.
That's a lot better issue! Glad you found it!