B5.5 passat TDI differential

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Does the differential have a seperate oil supply than the transmission?

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
If you have the stock automatic GMR, yes the differential fluid is separate from the auto transmission fluid. If the car has been swapped to a manual 5sp it's all the same fluid.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Thanks Gearhead. How does one check or change the oil? I don't recall that ever being mentioned.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Check is pretty easy. There's a fill/check plug on the passenger side of the transaxle in front of the inner CV joint and just below the axle centerline. It takes an 8mm allen socket. Just fill it until it overflows.

Changing will be a little more difficult. Normally you don't change it. You can try to suction it out through the same plug with a pump and hose. Otherwise, you can take the chance of loosening the diff cover bolts and drain it out that way, but i wouldn't mess with them.

I have a picture of the side of the GMR I took out to manual swap mine. I have never been able to figure out how to post pictures. I got through the how-to up to the point of hosting and was lost at that point.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
The VW/Audi spec is G 052 145. ZF lists Castrol SAF-AG4. I believe that is a synthetic GL5 75W90.