B5.5 Passat TDI - Crank No Start after Tandem Pump Replacement

gmar8099

TDI
2005 VW Passat TDI GLS Wagon
Hi there,

Just installed a new tandem pump. I've cycled the key repeatedly, probably cranked through 20 cycles or so of 5 seconds each with no attempt to start. Am I missing something? Is there a bleed procedure?

I don't think the fuel hoses are mixed up at the pump, because they aren't close to the same length. Fuel lines have not been off the fuel filter.

@oilhammer curious your take?

Gerald

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
5 seconds isn't enough. Keep turning the key until the alarm goes off. I usually put a battery booster on it to keep from killing the battery while doing it.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
If the fuel ran out of the head it takes a LOT of cranking to bleed the internal rail and injectors. Removing the glow plugs is supposed to help; crank it with the glow plugs out until fuel mist starts coming out of the glow plug holes.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If they're not seized, remove the glow plugs, and crank until you see mist.

Install glow plugs and fire it up. You can start it the way you describe but it will take multiple cycles of cranking and then starter cooldown.

Removing the GPs allows way more engine rotation without wearing out the starter.

< owns b5 tdi, has done this twice now.

gmar8099

TDI
Ok. So, I just pulled a glow plug. Now I'm not sure, is this an old (bad, break off, ceramic) plug, or is it something better? It's a Bosch with VW OEM markings. 0 250 302 0 02 7V Says: France 04-10-21. I would say looks like steel to me, but 7V steel a possibility?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That's the original plug... probably best to swap those out with the new NGK 7v plugs.

On stubborn cars, I soak a rag in gasoline and lay it over the snowscreen, LOL... Just unplug the glow plug controller, you don't want it glowing for that.

gmar8099

TDI
@oilhammer so, if that's an OEM plug, how come the build date 04-10-21? Did they continue to produce these and use them? I thought there was a recall?

Are the NGK 7V plugs a safe drop in replacement without any control module reprogramming?

GM

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cannot comment on the build date, assuming that is in fact the build date.

I feel this topic has been hashed out here repeatedly over the years, but once again here is the synopsis of the BEW/BHW/BKW glow plug fiasco:

Cars left the factory with 7v Bosch ceramic plugs. For whatever reason (urban legend is they were too fragile), Bosch quit making them. They instead started making a 5v steel plug. So that was the replacement, and if you had ANY of the originals fail, you had to replace all four with this new version AND update the software.

However, these new plugs/software resulted in a lot of hard (or impossible) cold starts, so Volkswagen stopped with that, and these cars hung out in limbo for almost a year. Then, they came up with a solution, another glow plug change, this time back to 7v ceramics, but supplied by NGK... which is what the newer BRM engines used from the factory, however they are NOT the same plug! This change also meant the software needed to be changed yet again, to reflect the change in voltage.

So... if you happen to still have one of these cars, that after 20-21 years somehow still has the 7v Bosch plugs in it, and the original software, you can just swap them out for the NGKs. The software won't know the difference, as they are both 7v and work with the same duty cycle, or "palpitation" as the Germans call it.

Now, if Bosch tooled back up more recently to start making 7v ceramic plugs again, that's news to me. When the updated 7v NGK plugs came out, they quit supplying the 5v ones, then the 5v ones came back available... ???? I guess because there are some of these cars that got the 5v plugs and updated software and don't have an issue starting in the cold... my BHW is one such car, although my software was updated by someone other than Volkswagen.

And, more importantly, once again, the NGK # CZ104 is NOT the correct replacement glow plug for the BEW/BHW engines. That's for the BRM. It is a different plug. The new NGK # for the BEW/BHW is CZ112. The VAG part # is N-105-916-09.

gmar8099

TDI
@oilhammer thank you for the reply. I had read extensively on the forum, and found nothing that supported what I found, see pics.

Thank you for the correction on the part number of the NGK plug. Based on your info, Partstech has it listed incorrectly.

All my glow plugs had the same date on them, if that's what it is.

Hey! Do you think the date is in European convention: YY/MM/DD? This could make sense - and if so, these are original plugs! Oh, and on one of them, the ceramic broke on removal, but stayed in the plug! Bullet dodged I guess, otherwise it would have been head removal...