B5.5 MY05 2.0 TDi P0299, P0101

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
OK..
  • Valve cover gasket replaced
  • Turbo disassembled, checked end play and wobble: Felt perfect
  • Cleaned Turbo completely - including the VNT section Now it moves like butter. no bent vanes, no sloppiness where the actuator arm moves the ring..
  • New Downpipe gasket, oil drain gasket, EGR Cooler gaskets
  • New hardware (studs, nuts, etc)
  • Checked/cleaned MAF and MAP
  • Checked/cleaned intercooler pipes
  • Removed, cleaned and reinstalled intake manifold, including new gasket
  • WGA tested; holds vacuum as tested
  • Vacuum canister under turbo holds vacuum as tested
Reassembled everything, took it for a drive. Stayed in town, driving around, seemed fine. Spent about 30-40 mins doing this..
Decided now's the time, let's hop on the bypass and get some speed...
Turned onto the on-ramp, accelerated to about 35-40, BEEEEP.. Limp mode.
Went to next exit and pulled over, whipped out the VCDS. P0299.. Requested: 2364mb, 1754.4mb actual.

N75 has been replaced
EGR was cleaned
All vacuum lines replaced
Vacuum check valve replaced
Air Filter replaced

I'm out of guesses, at this point.. Short of buying an EGR blockoff ant 'testing' to see if the EGR is not seating properly, I don't know what else to do..

PLEASE, throw me some ideas, if you have any more.. I'm at my wits end with this car now.
Thanks.
Did I miss you checking how much vacuum you have?

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
Oh, I did notice a very faint blub blub blub sound at idle...sounds like from the air box area, or the intake manifold, from what I could best decipher. Wasn't real loud to me, and I just happened to notice it today. it did not get worse or louder with faster engine speeds. It was very faint.

The only code I'm getting is the P0299.

Last edited:

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
OK, pulled the cam cover again..
The lobes are quite worn.. I couldn't really see the lifters without tearing everything apart, but the cam lobes were definitely worn. Ridged along the lobe, scuffed a little, and the beveled edge was completely non-existent along the lift of the lobes..

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
OK, pulled the cam cover again..
The lobes are quite worn.. I couldn't really see the lifters without tearing everything apart, but the cam lobes were definitely worn. Ridged along the lobe, scuffed a little, and the beveled edge was completely non-existent along the lift of the lobes..
Sounds like you've found your problem.

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
Sounds like you've found your problem.
you think that's really it? I mean, it's a $500+ guess.. lol
I replaced the N75 (months ago) with a knockoff, thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't. Of course I can't find where I put the original. lol someone else said throw the knockoff away and get a real one.. Again, a $100 guess.. ;)

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
Well, UPDATE:
Got a new cam, lifters, bolts. Pulled it apart, put the new cam in, aligned the tandem pump, timed cam, tried rotating the engine by hand.. it moved about 1" and stopped. backed it back up, rechecked timing marks, all was on point..pulled the cam back out, and saw one of the ears on the tandem pump was broken off.. FML
So I ordered a replacement tandem pump..
I'm also trying to find replacement harmonic balancer bolts, but every thing I find online looks too long. Thoughts?

Wonder if I broke the ear off the tandem pump, or if it was on it's way out. I really don't know how I'd done it, as I was super gentle with putting it all back together..

So now, 900$ in parts later, if this doesn't fix the original issue, I've got about 100 lbs of tannerite that the Passat will get to experience.

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
No love...
NEW:
  • Camshaft
  • Lifters
  • Vacuum Lines
  • Tandem Pump
  • N75
  • Fuel Filter
  • S-Boost hose (turbo outlet)
    • Checked others for cracks, all good
  • Turbo Service - No issue found
  • Air Filter
Checked and/or fixed
  • VNT Actuator - Fine
  • EGR - fine
  • Intake manifold - Not bad, cleaned anyway
  • Timing
I'm sure I'm missing stuff..
Boost pressure/smoke test - no issues found
VNT holds vacuum as intended, operates freely
Vacuum canister functions as intended.

Exhaust always seems to stink.. not like a regular diesel, but smells... idk.. dusty, or musty? hard to explain.

Cleared codes, drove it, took a highway entrance ramp (my normal test route) and low n behold... at about 60mph while accelerating up the on-ramp.. BOOM: limp mode...
Came home P0299..

Mozambiquer

TDI
No love...
NEW:
  • Camshaft
  • Lifters
  • Vacuum Lines
  • Tandem Pump
  • N75
  • Fuel Filter
  • S-Boost hose (turbo outlet)
    • Checked others for cracks, all good
  • Turbo Service - No issue found
  • Air Filter
Checked and/or fixed
  • VNT Actuator - Fine
  • EGR - fine
  • Intake manifold - Not bad, cleaned anyway
  • Timing
I'm sure I'm missing stuff..
Boost pressure/smoke test - no issues found
VNT holds vacuum as intended, operates freely
Vacuum canister functions as intended.

Exhaust always seems to stink.. not like a regular diesel, but smells... idk.. dusty, or musty? hard to explain.

Cleared codes, drove it, took a highway entrance ramp (my normal test route) and low n behold... at about 60mph while accelerating up the on-ramp.. BOOM: limp mode...
Came home P0299..
Try installing a plate in the egr inlet hose, an EGR valve that's sticking open can cause a p0299. Plating it off temporarily can rule that out.

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
the upper metal S-pipe thing, where it bolts to the EGR? someone also told me to loosen the three nuts ont he downpipe-to-turbo to see if the exhaust is doing it, too.. IDK.. I'm ready to scream, I know that much.. LOL

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
On your suggestion, I made a blockoff plate for the EGR tube.. no change, other that an EGR Flow code.
On the other suggestion, I backed the 3 downpipe nuts off to the end, and slid the downpipe back, so there was plenty of exhaust escape..

No change on either; I still get the P0299 code.

Mozambiquer

TDI
On your suggestion, I made a blockoff plate for the EGR tube.. no change, other that an EGR Flow code.
On the other suggestion, I backed the 3 downpipe nuts off to the end, and slid the downpipe back, so there was plenty of exhaust escape..

No change on either; I still get the P0299 code.
Monitor the maf desired vs actual while driving and see what you get.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Sheesh dude, you left us hanging. The legions of limp mode sufferers are awaiting the final outcome.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
I truly understand the frustrated fatigue factor. You've been at this journey for over a year. I've only been after the same limp monkey on my back for about four months, and I'm pulling my hair out already. At least you seem to know how to run diagnostics via VCDS. I'm not there yet.

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
I truly understand the frustrated fatigue factor. You've been at this journey for over a year. I've only been after the same limp monkey on my back for about four months, and I'm pulling my hair out already. At least you seem to know how to run diagnostics via VCDS. I'm not there yet.
I just fake it til I make it :cautious:

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm curious how this turns out because I'm concerned that the new cam didn't cure the limping. That's the last bit of hardware options I have, and my cam lobes don't look near as bad as those pics you took.

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
Anyone have a good diagram on the Boost Solenoid, etc? I want to verify I have it right...

Replaced all charge-pipe o-rings, MAF, and MAP, still P0299..

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Check my recent post to one of my fellow northerners.. there should be something in there to help you..... just do it fast as the link expires in a few days.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Post #34... that will quickly verify the vacuum controls. There is very little to the BHW's vacuum system, as ALL it uses vacuum for (aside from the brake booster) is the VNT actuator. That's it. Everything else (EGR, intake regulating flap) is electronic. It has no EGR cooler bypass (like BEWs and BRMs) and no twin-port intake manifold runner (like BEWs).

The only issue is that the location of the N75 on the BHW is a bit difficult to get at. But for checking/testing purposes, you can literally unbolt (two big Allens) the entire setup and drag it up on top of the air cleaner area and still work everything. You may have to unplug the PCV heater to allow the N75 plug to reach that far, but right now that is not an issue. It is a brutally simple system.

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
Did you ever pressure test (while hot) higher than 25 psi? In a couple of your graphs it looks like the system holds fine untill you break through 2.25 bar which is 33psi. To my (admittedly untrained) eye, your graphs make it seem like something almost “breaks loose” at higher pressure.

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
I don't think I ever went above 25psi on my boost pressure test, honestly..
I added a KermaTDi bracket on the intake connection, as I could kinda pull it 1/8" in the connection, so I figured that 'could be' pushing out under boost and causing a leak. That didn't help. When I had all the boost hoses off to replace the o-rings yesterday, I checked every hose over very closely for any signs of cracks, holes, etc. They all looked near perfect.
Speaking of the graphs, I thought same thing, as sometimes the actual would be with the requested, then taper off.. But I'll be damned if I can find the issue anywhere.

I will admit, I'm not super fluent with the VCDS for testing things like the VNT (as you stated @oilhammer for post 34) so I'll have fumble through vcds to find that again. For logging, that's something else in VCDS I struggle with, as I'm not really sure what/where to log for given things.. something else I fumble around and hope I pick the right stuff. LOL

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M
The only issue is that the location of the N75 on the BHW is a bit difficult to get at. But for checking/testing purposes, you can literally unbolt (two big Allens) the entire setup and drag it up on top of the air cleaner area and still work everything. You may have to unplug the PCV heater to allow the N75 plug to reach that far, but right now that is not an issue. It is a brutally simple system.
IIRC, mine is held by two 10mm nuts.. Ensuring I'm talking about the proper valve, it's low, front, next to the timing cover? I would also like to make sure I have all the vac lines at the N75 in their proper location, just to make sure I didn't bork something up.

oilhammer

TDI
The nuts hold the N75 to the bracket, but the whole bracket which holds the vacuum reservoir and all is held to the front of the block with two big Allen bolts. They go into the same threaded holes in the front of the block that transverse cars use to hold the engine mount bracket, that is why they are as large as they are. They also hold the little plastic covered foam sound brick in.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
I got tired of disassembling the intake in order to access the N75, so I relocated it to a more accessible location.

oilhammer

TDI
Heh, mine is in the same spot it was when it left the factory in 2004, and I've never had to mess with it once in over 230k miles. *shrug*.