B5.5 Max Tank at 985.4 miles

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
I wanted to give a max tank run another try to see if I could beat my all-time best of 901.4 miles. At that time (May of 2008) the Passat had 45,000 miles on the clock.
Now at 182,000 miles, the max tank trial came in at 985.4 miles (odometer reading). I was originally trying to hit 930 miles, but I got greedy. Especially when the fuel gauge needle didn’t move for 248.4 miles.
A total of 18.388 gallons were required to fill the tank back up. 985.4 miles/18.388 gallons = 53.86MPG. Google maps indicated that the distance was 996.0 miles, for a difference of 1.08%.
The only other modifications done since the last time I tried this was the addition of MoS2 that Tikal suggested, Conti Eco tires, and front wheel spats.
The first 800 miles took 14-hours. Accidents and road construction areas were numerous, causing a lot of stop & go traffic. This time I had to run the AC for about 80% of the trip.
I took several pictures of the dashboard along the way.

Fuel light came on.
Notice the hazards are flashing? Car is parked on a steep uphill grade just south of Chester S.C.

Ernst

Last edited:

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
That's impressive considering that it's still an automatic. Nice!

I can see myself trying this out at some point :)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Amazing number
650 to low fuel light is about the best I can do
What was average MPH and speed range?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Bravo. Did that once in my A4 Jetta ALH - got about the exact same distance on about a gallon less fuel.

Didn't make 1000 miles though... missed it by 9 miles :(

Anyone know if sedan and wagon tanks are the same size?

Do you know What torsion setting you're running?

What was your cruising speed for the trip?

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Amazing number
650 to low fuel light is about the best I can do
What was average MPH and speed range?
Average was 57 MPH for the first 800 miles. But the stop and go traffic really kills the average number. Speed range was "stop and go" - 70+. I was aiming for 65-70 MPH.
Volk14 - Game on!
"Do you know What torsion setting you're running?" I have no idea, but have often wondered since the car from the beginning has always gotten really good MPG. It does have the Rocket Chip 2 tune from back in 2007ish.
I'm now darn sure I can break 1,000 miles if the conditions were a bit more favorable.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
That's great. Curious how you got 18 gallons in? Factory says it is a 16.5 gallon tank. Have a ventictomy?

Still have the BSM? If yes you can get better mph with the delete

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have a ventectomy in mine, and have put 68 litres (17.96 gallons) in my tank on a number of occasions.

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
That's great. Curious how you got 18 gallons in? Factory says it is a 16.5 gallon tank. Have a ventictomy?
Still have the BSM? If yes you can get better mph with the delete
Yes, the car was given a ventectomy.
Car had the BSM replaced in 2008 with the geared unit. I'm considering the delete because of hex shaft issue. I'm just not so sure I want the added vibration, although I never sat in one which had the delete. Car has original trans mounts, but the engine mounts were replaced 120,000 miles ago. No red fluid seen so far, although maybe they could be worn too?
Here is a link to the previous max tank run so you can see what else was done:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=213606&highlight=901.4

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a different strategy on the return trip. Make good time. The return trip was 20-miles less than the first day’s 800-mile trip, since I left directly from work (left at 4:00 PM on a Friday). A/C the entire trip, some bumper to bumper on S.C. I-85 and around Ashville. Split the trip in half staying in Richmond KY. for the night. Ran with the wolf-packs at about 10+ over. 780 miles in 11:30 hours. Filled the tank back up with 17.75-gallons. 43.9 MPG.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Great run indeed 2004PassatTDI. Here in Texas highways is hard to slow down and then you get run over. Last Saturday on the way back from Austin to Houston I went mostly 75 to 80 MPH (and sometime a little faster). I ended up averaging 68 MPH to our house driveway and 41.5 MPG with two adults two kids and luggage. Not bad in my book. If I stay around 75 MPH probably I can get 43 or 44 MPG.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
By the way I also have the ventectomy. I estimate that when the fuel is up to the neck of the fuel tank (almost to spill over) the tank holds around 19 gallons. My calculations are based on the amount of fuel I was able to pump one time right after the low fuel light came at which time there is a reserve of 1.9 gallons. Correct?

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Do you know What torsion setting you're running?

At the time of the next timing belt change, you will be able to determine the value. My question to you is, would you put the new belt in on that same value, or would you change it towards (+) and allow for the new belt to "stretch" to the initial value? If adjusting to (+) how much would you move it to?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
With new belt, I would set torsion on the sweet spot and adjust to it as needed over the belt's lifespan. Your FE is truly amazing.

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
By the way I also have the ventectomy. I estimate that when the fuel is up to the neck of the fuel tank (almost to spill over) the tank holds around 19 gallons. My calculations are based on the amount of fuel I was able to pump one time right after the low fuel light came at which time there is a reserve of 1.9 gallons. Correct?
Tikal,
Try this trick if you like. Next long range trip you go on, fill your tank to the brim, but also fill a 5-gallon fuel can. Double stack some 2X4s so that you make a little single ramp that you can lift the rear passenger wheel up 3”. I tapered one end to make lifting the rear wheel up where the filler neck is a bit easier. Allow the car to sit overnight so the bubbles come out of the fuel. In the morning, open the fuel cap and then fill the tank to the brim. I was able to get a lot more fuel in because the fuel tank was tilted and accepted fuel in place of the entrapped air. Screw that cap shut and roll off the 2X4 ramp. You are now on the way to setting a record.
Ernst

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Tikal,
Try this trick if you like. Next long range trip you go on, fill your tank to the brim, but also fill a 5-gallon fuel can. Double stack some 2X4s so that you make a little single ramp that you can lift the rear passenger wheel up 3”. I tapered one end to make lifting the rear wheel up where the filler neck is a bit easier. Allow the car to sit overnight so the bubbles come out of the fuel. In the morning, open the fuel cap and then fill the tank to the brim. I was able to get a lot more fuel in because the fuel tank was tilted and accepted fuel in place of the entrapped air. Screw that cap shut and roll off the 2X4 ramp. You are now on the way to setting a record.
Ernst
How much more fuel have you got into the tank this way? (the whole 5 gallons?)