B5.5 circulation heater hose routing connection points

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
so it was -18 this morning, i plugged the passat in at the office and came out at the end of the day to a cold car, guess the oilpan heater is toast, i did the last install of a zerostat heater in my 99 B5 but it was a 1.8t, i need to know:

1. what location on the engine to connect the inlet hose ( the horizontal hose) of the zerostat

2. where to run the outlet hose to on the engine from the top of the zerostat ( discharge hose)

will just go pickup a zerostat locally

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The ones I have seen were installed at the oil cooler lines.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
to which hose? i have not been able to find a coolant flow routing diagram, the bentley cd only showed a component listing but that doesnt really help

any information on the coolant flow would be greatly appreciated

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
The Frostheater included a curved hose to connect to the top fitting of the cooler. The other end of the heater then uses the hose removed from the cooler.

Take Care

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg

so from the parts cut if i understand you correctly, it looks like your are refering to hose #16 which goes to the back of the Cyl hd inlet flange #27

Last edited:

Mikey2

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2002 grey
In my AVF engine, the heater was installed in the hose coming back from the cabin heater core to the oil cooler, and there was a non-return valve in this hose in the cowl to prevent the heated coolant from flowing the wrong direction.

In my opinion, the yellow line above is not correct as it jumps from one hose to another. The heater could not be installed in that yellow hose because the hot coolant would directly flow to the engine temperature sender -> no-start issues.....

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Our FrostHeater kit comes with step-by-step installation instructions with color photos will walk you through the install. :)

Guaranteed to work once installed.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
so where does your "Kit" make the connections?

Our FrostHeater kit comes with step-by-step installation instructions with color photos will walk you through the install. :)

Guaranteed to work once installed.
thats nice, i am looking for information as to were you route the hose connections in your kit, your website tells me nothing, i've finally got enough info to determine the flow in the hoses when the engine is running...

a proper circ heater will pull cold coolant from the lowest point on the block and return it to the highest point of the block, and this may not necessary involve replacing existing hoses...

so please show me you instruction sheet and then we can talk about ordering , as you price seems good.

(in my younger days i work for the auto industry installing heaters and radios etc, so i am quite capable to do it, i did an install on my 99b5 1.8t, but the hose routing on the b5.5 tdi is very different hence the questions, oh and in the old days the small circ heaters were general only 300-500w, there is no need for 1000 or even 1500w heaters, the goal is to heat the coolant above say 20c(68f) an more than that is unnecessary, you also don't want the thermostat to open)

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
circ heater install done

i located a temro 3308001 at a decent price and installed it yesterday, took about an hour,

end up just removing the coolant supply line to the oil cooler and inserted the heater in series

plugged in last nigth on a timer, the 750w unit had the temp sensor reading about 1/2 way to middle position
nice easy start this morning

thanks all

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
i located a temro 3308001 at a decent price and installed it yesterday, took about an hour,

end up just removing the coolant supply line to the oil cooler and inserted the heater in series

plugged in last nigth on a timer, the 750w unit had the temp sensor reading about 1/2 way to middle position
nice easy start this morning

thanks all
I hope your removed the check-valve! Serious engine damage will occur is not.