B5.5 and bio-d

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
My brother and I are setting up a bio-d processor using WVO thanks to our cousin who manages a resturant. I wanted to get input from ppl using bio-d from WVO and bio-d in general. My brother is a chemist so he is very confident we can make bio-d that meets the ASTM spec. He wants to go B100 in his A4, I am thinking of going to B50 for now.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
maktas said:
My brother and I are setting up a bio-d processor using WVO thanks to our cousin who manages a resturant. I wanted to get input from ppl using bio-d from WVO and bio-d in general. My brother is a chemist so he is very confident we can make bio-d that meets the ASTM spec. He wants to go B100 in his A4, I am thinking of going to B50 for now.
I have not run my PD yet, so nothing to offer specifically on that, but the % BD you use will be dependant on ambient temperature. B50-100 would be fine in Canada for late spring to early fall. You will have to start cutting back as you roll into winter, or install a WVO system for BD50 use in winter up here.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
I have been running B50 uninterrupted for about a year with no problem in the PD. The winterized BD that I was using had a Dupont additive added by the distributor that was supposed to be good down to about 20 degrees farenheit. I added Power Service White on top of the additive in the winterized BD and did not encounter any problems at all. I think the lows got down a few times to 10 degrees farenheit

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
See...4.20 and 3.70 are competitive prices. It's when these stupid f'n co-ops jerk the price up to nearly $5 and claim it's cheaper because oil-based diesel is heavily subsidized. The thing is, subsidized or not, it's still cheaper to me right now. It doesn't dent my wallet as much right now.