B5.5 2.0 TDI timing chain or belt?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It's a belt, and stop driving it immediately!
This is a b5.5 Passat timing belt that took most of the teeth off.
This is an ALH belt that almost broke. Breaking or stripping teeth off normally results in catastrophic engine damage that you don't want to have!
Like this:
That's not a TDI, but it can look like that in the cylinders if you let your belt break.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a belt... and a chain... ;)

The chain drives typically fail before even a slightly neglected belt will on these.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Ok, the rest of the story.

Cam is driven by a timing belt.

Under the lip of the engine is a module that is chain driven. Its an Oil Pump and a Balance Module in one assembly.

VW in their stupidity (not the only stupidity but one of the big ones) used not only a chain, but a non roller element chain (I think they quit using that type about 1900)

It also runs twice engine speed to add insult to wear injury.

Crap shoot as to when they go. I did mine at 100k, probably good to 200 k but you could see the wear patterns and once wear sets in, it accelerates in a non linear manner. So it could go at 50k.

VW no longer even has chain parts, the fix is to pull all the sprockets off and add gear to gear setup.

As you are 2/3 of the way to the OPBM moduel, get both done.

Despite VW stupidity, its a great car, my wife and I love it, though our is the highly desirable wagon that works a treat, not all are fortuneate to have that.