B4V without sunroof

dieseltruck

TDI
96,97 Passat sedans
I just bought a wagon and was surprised because I thought they all had sunroofs. Has anyone else here seen one without? I wonder how many were made.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Sunroof was optional on Passat regardless of model, in 96 and 97. In fact I'm almost sure that it was an option on all Passat B3 and B4 from 1990-1997.

However, cars without sunroof (preferred IMO) are very few compared with those that got the option. I would dare say that perhaps 10% of the B4 cars came without sunroof, and that might be optimistic. Most of the B3 cars were optioned up pretty well too, after all, it was the flagship at the time and the competition was pretty well optioned also.

Steve

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Run the history just in case it's a converted gasser from Nice Cars. I can't recall seeing any B4V without a sunroof, but that's not necessarily saying much. ;}

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A member here (dieseldorf) had a B4V with no sunroof and ABS. Unusual car.

dieseltruck

TDI
96,97 Passat sedans
Thanks to all for the input. I’ve run across 10 or 12 B4s over the past few years and this is the first one I’ve seen. So 10% May be about right.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
My first B4V had no sunroof… It came out of Minnesota, and was Silk blue. My second wagon came out of Florida and did have a sunroof… It’s the one I still have. I bought the second one in 2004, After the first one got wrecked.

The nine sunroof model has a lot of headroom! The sunroof model well as the sunroof… Which I love to use, usually at night.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
No sunroof on mine. Specifically ordered it like that when new. Who needs one when you have A/C? only good for leaks!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I actually would agree. I'd prefer to not have a sunroof, I don't use them and they typically do nothing but create problems. The upside of one is typically that they attract more attention for a potential buyer should a person want to sell.

From the 1997 full line brochure, Passat optional equipment (US), left column is GLS and right column is for GLX. The TDI was never included in the full line brochure but I believe that it was equipped comparably to the GLS models since there was no GL imported for 95-97.

Steve