B4 won't rev over 1200 with brake applied

sewerrat

Could someone steer me in the right direction...1996 Passat No codes,cruise control is off,brake lights work. Brake lights are a recent repair {switch} Also I have just changed most vacuum lines including the one inside ECU and new n75 valve to try to repair intermittant power loss. Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sounds normal, most DBW cars will not allow the engine to spin up with the brake applied, because there is no reason you would ever need to do that.

sewerrat

Sounds normal, most DBW cars will not allow the engine to spin up with the brake applied, because there is no reason you would ever need to do that.
I guess I never noticed this before. I've owned this car 14 years but don't know if I ever had my Vagcom plugged in while driving.When it does this throttle is @ 100 percent on Vagcom.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
There is a reason to do it for ice racing, left foot braking balances the car. Handy for rallycross and autocross too because you can keep the motor wound up. Has nothing to do with normal road driving however. ECU tunes on GTIs, Golf Rs and stuff like that you can remove the left foot braking lockout.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nope, won't do it. It also makes brake lighting someone who's tailgating difficult because the car will cut throttle when you do it...annoying honestly.

Steve

sewerrat

Thanks everyone for explaining to a dummy why it would rev with the brake on last week but not this week. { I fixed the brake light switch}:oops:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
If memory serves, the brake switch is a normally closed circuit, so it breaks the connection when pressed. If you unplug it, the car will think the brake is depressed all the time. The better idea is to run a jumper so the ECU never loses connection.